Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Focus Central TB I got for chistms and have ha lots of problems with high revs at idle and when I'm out driving and put in the clutch. I talked to FC briefl yesterday and thy sai to adjust the idle screw...I did tht but the throttle plate isn't touching the screw now. The plate stick and he car still idles a around 3k. What should I do?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Have you done a search? I wish I could help you, but after reading a million posts like this, I decided against buying one of these myself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah i've checked and they either say fidle with the ile screw, call FC or they dont help at all...

·
Registered
489 Posts
3k? Man it is either the TPS sesnor being on the wrong holes, or Your IAC valve is clogged...Not kidding on this been there done that man....I have a write-up on how to pull the iac off, quite easy your mechanical...and a great project for those who are not...Anyway you could always pull the TB back off man, and then srick a high powered vacuum up to the "channel" where the IAC air goes down to (in the intake manifold) hold it there, and give it time...maybe you can suck somthing back out that was blocking your passage down there..

Man i hope to help you out as soon as I could on here, as 3k idle hang sucks man, and its embarrassing...We got you covered man...i pm'ed you man....

Robert

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
The BBK does this as well. With the BBK my problem was the butterfly was sticking to the bore, slight imperfection that can be cured by cleaning and maybe a little LIGHT sanding to the bore. That was my problem, keep in mind that yours may be different.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Euro,
The idle screw adjustment deal is only if your gas pedals feels like it's "sticky" when you first hit the pedal. Not for a problem with the idle running high. And, if you are having the "sticky pedal" problem, it's been my experience that you want the idle screw to make contact with the throttle plate, not the other way around.

If your problem is a high idle, and that's what it sounds like you are describing... make sure your TPS (throttle position sensor) is mounted in the correct set of holes. There should be 3 set of holes. One set for the 2000-01 5 speed, one set for all automatics, and another set for the 2002 5 speeds. The 2003 5 speeds TPS is another issue, which has to do with the "thickness" of the TPS, which means FC needs to send different screws with the t/b for 2003s.

[edit] for proper information on the 2003 models...

[ 12-30-2002, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: myFordPerformance.com ]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help to all excepot that ass welding rod. Listen buddy I am quite aware of how to use the search button and holy ****what do you know I also know how to call Focus cenral with my telephone. Unfortunately its sunday today and I would like to drive my car. Next time use your head before you decide to be a dickhead to someone in need. For those of you that didn't apply to I appreciate the assistance and will try to get it sorted out tomorrow.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hey now, no need to thrash Welding Rod like that. If you read his reply carefully, you'll notice that he is more upset with Focus Central than anybody.

There's a reason so many people keep having this issue. Since the cause is usually the same, and the commonality between cases is FC, it's easy to see why one would get upset at them, when the fix seems so simple.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Originally posted by Euro_ZX3:
Thanks for the help to all excepot that ass welding rod. Listen buddy I am quite aware of how to use the search button and holy ****what do you know I also know how to call Focus cenral with my telephone. Unfortunately its sunday today and I would like to drive my car. Next time use your head before you decide to be a dickhead to someone in need. For those of you that didn't apply to I appreciate the assistance and will try to get it sorted out tomorrow.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Euro - you are WAY off base. If you reread you will see that I took the time the try and post the exact info you asked about. The facts are the TB will stick if the plate is allowed to contact the bore, and the idle issue is likely due to TPS orientation. That is not helpful and directed at the problem?

As Bantha said, I was not being a dick to you, I simply think it is totally rediculous that we see this same post over and over and over because FC can't manage to put a decent set of instructions in the box with the throttle body.

There is certainly no need feel defensive about my post. If offense was intended, I would have made it very clear, something like you just did.

·
Registered
489 Posts
really? people have the same problems with bbk and FC? uh the butterfly valve sticks?
uh.....it is a sensor problem on a sensor driven car...it is probably the IAC valve...if his screw isnt touching the plate........or possibly a leak in the gasket? dont jump back on him bantha...welding rod may have seem to come off wrong....let them settle it and not the rest of us...

·
Registered
258 Posts
please do read welding rod's post carefully, he's witching at fc not you.

sadly, I don't have anything to help you other than I did the fc tb install myself and have had no problems whatsoever. none. the fc tb gets two thumbs up from me

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Originally posted by myFordPerformance.com:
If your problem is a high idle, and that's what it sounds like you are describing... make sure your TPS (throttle position sensor) is mounted in the correct set of holes. There should be 3 set of holes. One set for the 2000-01 5 speed, one set for all automatics, and another set for the 2002 5 speeds. The 2003 5 speeds TPS is another issue, which Focus Central has not yet resolved.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">when i called FC nader told me that the 2002 5 Speed DOES NOT have a different TPS location. It's the 2002 AUTO. Just thought I'd let you guys know as this bad info seems to be circulating as fact. i'm not trying to step on any toes, but i was misled by this when i called thinking that was my problem, but nader told me the 2002 5 speed TPS location is the same as the 00 and 01's.

Nate

·
Registered
662 Posts
Originally posted by Bmorezx3:
when i called FC nader told me that the 2002 5 Speed DOES NOT have a different TPS location. It's the 2002 AUTO. Just thought I'd let you guys know as this bad info seems to be circulating as fact. i'm not trying to step on any toes, but i was misled by this when i called thinking that was my problem, but nader told me the 2002 5 speed TPS location is the same as the 00 and 01's.

Nate
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Right, I might have that mixed up a bit, but the point was for Euro to make sure he's got it in the right place. I'll scan the instructions tomorrow so I can reference them correctly the next time

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so if I'm looking at the side where the TPS connects there is a hole at 12 o'clock, and then two close togeather lets say 1 and 2 o'clock...the MTX TPS should be in the 2 o'clock position right?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Jeez FC, how many times is there going to be a problem with such a simple device?

Why not include a good set of instructions with this thing?

There is no "idle" screw. Idle is controlled by the computer through with the idle air conrol valve located on the intake manifold - totally seperate from the throttle body. There is a throttle plate stop screw. If you back it completely out in an attempt to lower the idle, which it can not do, all you will accomplish is causing the plate to contact and stick in the bore - and eventually chew up both the edge of the plate and the bore of the TB.

I have read (what search is for) the high idle is likely caused by improper orientation of the TPS. Of course a severe vaccum leak could cause problems, but I would definately look at the TPS orientation before anything else.

Why not call FC and ask them about proper orientation of the TPS, and then tell them what you think of the instructions?

Good luck.

Edited: With a cooler temper.

[ 12-29-2002, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Welding Rod ]

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Originally posted by myFordPerformance.com:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Bmorezx3:
when i called FC nader told me that the 2002 5 Speed DOES NOT have a different TPS location. It's the 2002 AUTO. Just thought I'd let you guys know as this bad info seems to be circulating as fact. i'm not trying to step on any toes, but i was misled by this when i called thinking that was my problem, but nader told me the 2002 5 speed TPS location is the same as the 00 and 01's.

Nate
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Right, I might have that mixed up a bit, but the point was for Euro to make sure he's got it in the right place. I'll scan the instructions tomorrow so I can reference them correctly the next time
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no worries, i didn't mean to call you out or anything. i just wanted to make sure the right info was getting to the people that need it. his sounds like a TPS problem, but if he's got a 2002 then it may be a bit harder.

my 2002 has had idle problems since i got the tb and they have stayed a mystery to both myself and the guys at FC. for some reason the 02 does not like to idle correctly. i have put in several TPS, from every model year of focus, and nothing has worked. the best way to fix the problem that i have found is simply to shut the car off and then restart it if my idle becomes a problem. it will hang at around 2-3K when the clutch is depressed while driving and will not go down farther until the car is at a complete stop. if i put it in a high gear so the revs are low (1.5-2K) it will jump to 2-3K when the clutch is depressed while driving.

this problem seems to be plaguing the 02 5 speeds for some reason.

Nate

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by Bmorezx3:
it will hang at around 2-3K when the clutch is depressed while driving and will not go down farther until the car is at a complete stop. if i put it in a high gear so the revs are low (1.5-2K) it will jump to 2-3K when the clutch is depressed while driving.

this problem seems to be plaguing the 02 5 speeds for some reason.

Nate
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have a 2001 automatic and it did the same thing with the stock TB. If I was driving along at 40 MPH with the OD off and put it in neutral the revs will stay up around 2K until I came to a stop. Then the idle would return to normal.

It did this EVERY time I tried it.

I now have a ported stock TB and it still does the same thing.

This may be something that the PCM does. It keeps the RPM up when it sees that the car is moving.

Anyone else see this?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Originally posted by Euro_ZX3:
Ok so if I'm looking at the side where the TPS connects there is a hole at 12 o'clock, and then two close togeather lets say 1 and 2 o'clock...the MTX TPS should be in the 2 o'clock position right?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Here's picture:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts