·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TB\'s and Flywheels

Let me see if I understand this right:
A lighter flywheel will allow faster rpm excelleration & deceleration
through less enertia while a larger TB allows faster rpm excelleration
by shorting the throttle progression range.

If both methods spin the motor like a two stroke, what is the practical difference?

[ 10-04-2002, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: 225sae ]

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: TB\'s and Flywheels

the TB just lets more CFM flow thru the engine till it hits another bottleneck.

one is done thru rotational mass and the other is done thru air mass....plus the throttle plate is thinner for better flow over the stock plastic thick throttle plate.

I believe the flywheels will yield better gains in performance....not neccesarily just hp gains.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Re: TB\'s and Flywheels

Not really... flywheel just essentially stores energy. While it places less load on the engine when lighter, it also gives less back on each shift or launch. So in a practical sense, you lose post shift and launch "oomph" and gain an engine that changes revs more quickly with the clutch in and may accelerate a little quicker in a given gear (although in the long run one would expect to more or less break even with regard to acceleration).

The larger TB is going to improve the intake flow into the engine if the TB is the current bottleneck in the system (just a difference in peak flow when its wide open). Of course, the same crack in throttle corresponds to a larger opening for intake than before (w/ regard to part throttle modulation), so it may feel more snappy (on/off than before). But its not neccesarily going to make the engine drop or raise revs quicker. Not anymore than say, a cat-back exhaust or more free-flowing air-filter.

If the goal is to have a more "blippy" engine, flywheel is the way to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts