Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: TB\'s: Bored out vs. 65 mm?

Originally posted by Joe Kona:
How much difference is there in the bored out TB and brand new 65 mm one?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The stock TB has a throttle plate that is about 58mm. That makes the 65mm TB about .25" larger in diameter. Doesn't sound like much, but the flow difference is quite a bit.

Think of the difference between 2.25" and 2.5" exhaust systems.

This is a very good mod when combined with intake, exhaust, and cams.
Or, by itself for a big improvement in throttle response.

·
Registered
490 Posts

get the 65 it is great.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

There is a huuggeee! Differnce between the stock bored out TB and the FC 65mm TB...I had the bored and it was great and then I put the FC on and it was like WOW! the bored out one seemed like stock...Now it may have been cause I had many many other bolt ons, but yes the FC TB is worth it..

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

there is not a huge difference, just b/c the fc has been designed 2 give more throttle % on initial gas pedal throw does not make a significant difference in overall performance. wanna pay 250 bux 4 throttle performance (this unless u start gettin big time w/ur mods, FI, lots of juice, or 170+whp NA), then buy it. otherwise port ur stock 1 and save ur bread 4 another mod. people r often fooled by the fact that the focus' throttle response initially is a lil slower (pre embedded in design, not 2 mention heavy flywheel). also have 2 b careful b/c 4 some reason many times, the FC tb doesnt open all the way, people have tried modifications 2 the cable, gas pedal and the stop 4 the gas pedal 2 aleveate this prob, with only some success. also the fc tb has had many revisions (like many of their other parts) and still more revisions r comin or r supposed 2 b.

i've used all 4 (not includin jrsc version used w/supy, mcnews also is havin 1 made still some mths away), fc, ported, and stock, even tried a bbk from a friend, and unless u've gone hawg wild on mods, then they wont help short of throttle response (placebo power in the i's of many).

i've run 15.1 @89mph w/an FC (openin properly) and 15.1 @89 w/a ported, i also went back and dyno'd my car w/the FC tb on it....zero change in hp and tq, they almost mirror each other.

look at 'dyno results-basic buildup' 4 steeda's results of tb, .9whp....not enuff 2 b definitive. dont understand the topend of the graph, doesnt sound right, but look at the whole revband and peak #s, their not there.

not 2 piss on those who have it and like it, just my .02

-Ult

[ 11-18-2002, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
133 Posts

Ult always speaks the truth...

·
Registered
943 Posts

Originally posted by Paparoach:
Ult always speaks the truth...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">One of the best responses with an explanation I have seen on here in a while. Good job Ult.

·
Registered
19 Posts
TB\'s: Bored out vs. 65 mm?

How much difference is there in the bored out TB and brand new 65 mm one? Would it be as different as going from stock to bored out? Or would it be more marginal? Anyone who has done both that can comment?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
there is not a huge difference, just b/c the fc has been designed 2 give more throttle % on initial gas pedal throw does not make a significant difference in overall performance. wanna pay 250 bux 4 throttle performance (this unless u start gettin big time w/ur mods, FI, lots of juice, or 170+whp NA), then buy it. otherwise port ur stock 1 and save ur bread 4 another mod. people r often fooled by the fact that the focus' throttle response initially is a lil slower (pre embedded in design, not 2 mention heavy flywheel). also have 2 b careful b/c 4 some reason many times, the FC tb doesnt open all the way, people have tried modifications 2 the cable, gas pedal and the stop 4 the gas pedal 2 aleveate this prob, with only some success. also the fc tb has had many revisions (like many of their other parts) and still more revisions r comin or r supposed 2 b.

i've used all 4 (not includin jrsc version used w/supy, mcnews also is havin 1 made still some mths away), fc, ported, and stock, even tried a bbk from a friend, and unless u've gone hawg wild on mods, then they wont help short of throttle response (placebo power in the i's of many).

i've run 15.1 @89mph w/an FC (openin properly) and 15.1 @89 w/a ported, i also went back and dyno'd my car w/the FC tb on it....zero change in hp and tq, they almost mirror each other.

look at 'dyno results-basic buildup' 4 steeda's results of tb, .9whp....not enuff 2 b definitive. dont understand the topend of the graph, doesnt sound right, but look at the whole revband and peak #s, their not there.

not 2 piss on those who have it and like it, just my .02

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I paid nowhere near $250 for my new FC TB so Im a bit more attached...
You cant always measure a modification done to a vehicle in horsepower value or even 1/4 times there is just to many many many many differnt scenarios to make a good comparison between the two.

I have also had both of the TB's and the FC TB is without a doubt a more responsive piece by far. I drove around with my ported one right before I was gonna install my 2000 intake manifold and when I put the FC TB back on with the ported intake HUGE! difference..soo yes you are right with exensive mods it makes a difference but does not have to be in the range of 170whp

Its like when they did the dynos on the diablo sport chips yeaa they dont gain much be they improve response and drivability of the vehicle.. I must say this piece is worth the money and the only way to truley achieve higher power outputs. When we recently tuned my car it was doing 147whp/138TQ with the TB and 143whp/135TQ with the stock ported TB... I had 133whp/120TQ and a bunch of weight loss and went [email protected] I can say is good driving habbits are they key as you have show many! keep it up!

-Ult

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

note 2 all, vince and i shoot the **** alot and have a good laugh over many a thing on here and on the cars....but we know each other have a different line of thinkin on modd'n this car. thus we dont argue w/each other on the other's opinion, we just put it out there and let the reader decide 4 himself.

on the lighter side, vince must b doin somethin right....ever seen his gf, oh ma goodness yaw!!!

just hang on til mcnews comes out w/their TB down the road and in the interim bore ur stocker and use the bread 4 other mods at this point in time.

-Ult

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

I put a lot of mods on my car, including JRSC. i put my FC TB on after my JRSC and, as mentioned above, with lots of mods like I have-what a difference! It really freed up the supercharger to suck in more air. Of all the mods I have done, it was one of the most bang for the buck I have done.

2000 ZX3 JRSC, 65mmtb, 70mm mafs, jba, random tech, mbrp, Volant.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

wait a sec, correct me if i'm wrong, but didnt the jrsc come w/their own house TB? was that extra? and yes i would classify b'g blown (lol, sorry couldnt help it) as a major mod which could benefit from it.

-Ult

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

wait a sec, correct me if i'm wrong, but didnt the jrsc come w/their own house TB? was that extra? and yes i would classify b'g blown (lol, sorry couldnt help it) as a major mod which could benefit from it.

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The JRSC TB is not part of the standard kit and is extra..It is supposed to come out with the big boost kit or you can buy it alone...

·
Banned
410 Posts

I would go with the 65mm TB, the difference is amazing, I just took mine off and the car feels so wussy... Its not that expensive, and it gives you an immidiate power boost. if you want to see pics of mine on my car and the install go to

http://ghettoblasters.com/tomfiles/focus/2002-11/throttle-body/

·
Registered
110 Posts

I don't know about everybody else but with chip, exhaust,headers,udp's and intake, the Throttle Body did a AMAZING job(got it today).... I am talking about HUGE low and mid range and also gave good amount of hi end by freeing up the engine.... I only bought it thanks to you guys....

·
Registered
110 Posts

I just got my FC THrottle Body a couple hours ago, I didn't have a ported one before, it made A HUGE difference in Throttle Response(of course) and on high rpm's i fell that the car is giving it all.... I knew there was something missing.... Now i found it... (that doesnt mean i'll stop with the mods). Plus the betterment on Mid Range as well.... For 250... I think is worth the money. Nice mod

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

note 2 all, vince and i shoot the **** alot and have a good laugh over many a thing on here and on the cars....but we know each other have a different line of thinkin on modd'n this car. thus we dont argue w/each other on the other's opinion, we just put it out there and let the reader decide 4 himself.

on the lighter side, vince must b doin somethin right....ever seen his gf, oh ma goodness yaw!!!

just hang on til mcnews comes out w/their TB down the road and in the interim bore ur stocker and use the bread 4 other mods at this point in time.

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I dont know you!
Just messing... yea me and buddy -Ult always play around..Im agree though I totally agree..that you must have a decent amount of mods for this to make a signicant differnece...as for my gf comment..heeyy what can I say...Im lucky very lucky!

-Ult

·
Registered
19 Posts

use the bread 4 other mods at this point in time.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks, this is what I was wondering.

·
Registered
714 Posts

Boring the T/B is the best $5 mod you can do for a Focus! If your not running heavily modified use your money for mods other than a 65mm T/B!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts