Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the general opinion here? Do 4-1 race headers lose low end torque and give top end power? Is it a big sacrifice? What are your experiences? Is it only worth it to go with a 4-1 if you have a head package? Should you just roll with a 4-2-1 if you just have bolt-ons?

Or is 4-1 the way to go? Is all the talk of big losses down low a myth? Let your voice be heard.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Is this info for the company or is this something to just create a stir in here? If you want the answers for your own, shouldn't FS have an R&D find the answer to these questions? I mean you're the guys with all the resources - tools, machinery, materials, labor, even a Dynojet to measure you research. We're just monkeys with a socket set...

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
OK....

I think my eagerness about the 4-2-1 has been evident in the past couple months.... I'll tell you why.

I'm looking for a balanced gain... something that doesn't sacrifice low end Torque for high end power..... Consistant gains!

From what I've read... the 4-2-1 was more likely to accomplish these goals.... otherwise I would have give up long ago on it and just gotten the 4-1.

Ultimately, as I race more and more, I'm sure that I will come to own both and swap them for whichever need best suits me (so expect lots of dyno tuning business from me as I determine the best settings for each header
)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Ok, just checkin...well here comes one of those classic:

"Nah, man...my Bomz CAI definately gets more gains than your short ram"
"Nah, dawg...you be trippin. I ran 16.9 @ 55 last weekend at the track with my short ram. My SPI smoked this SRT-4 the other night too."

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
i love the gains i got from the 4-1, i did not loose any low end power that i think, look at seg. for mods.

P.S. Focus sport has the worlds greatest custom support, and they have parts that ford cant get quickly *cough* headgasket *cough*, 2 weeks from local ford dealer 2 days from Focus sport, thanks Randy

·
Registered
723 Posts
although i currently do not have a race header (i'll be getting either your 4-2-1 or 4-1 after smog time) i have been under the impression that a 4-1 looses a little low end grunt for max top end power. i am also under the impression that a 4-2-1 gives gains across the board but does not increase the top end as much as a 4-1 would. of course i do not proclaim to know this as fact.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have the 4-1 and I love it, My powerband is from about 3400 to the redline or so it feels, I just think you need to have an aggressive set up for it to work properly. When I had the header w/out a throttle body I felt as though I had little low end tourque, anyway I love the header at its done wonders for my 1/4 mile times...Peace

Lox

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
About 2-years ago when I had my race header, the dyno proved the car didn't lose any low-end power. In fact, it suprisingly gained a nice bit of low end torque. The only bolt-ons I had at the time was the 4-1 header, a K&N conical filter, and a 2.5inch Borla/Frankenstein hack job exhaust. I'd love to find the dyno sheet, but I lost it in the great computer crash of 2002.

My next header will be the 4-2-1. I'm sure the performance gains will be nice, but I am very concerned about ground clearance. Tampa roads are pretty nasty, and I hit my primaries on raised man-hole covers on more than one occassion.
Looks like the 4-2-1 will offer a tad bit more ground clearance.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
When I installed...or rather when airforcefocus installed my FS 4-1 header I could deffintly feel a loss in the low end, but a MAJOR gain in the mid to high end ranges...Maybe it was because I was running crower cams..who knows..this header reminded me to much of a honda where to kick ass I had to be over 4000RPM to begin to feel power...I like to punch it right away and just be goneee..baamm!! That is why I say my PZEV feels way way quicker thatn my heavily modified NA zetec that was putting out 150whp and 136 lbs/ft TQ...prolly cuz it puts out the same tq numbers and ir lighter...I think the 4-2-1 design will be very beneficial for a person who wants all around power..low end...mid...high...all about even..

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting, very interesting. Perceived gains/losses are definitely varying here. I think that cams and their tuning have a lot to do with it. So here is a dyno of a car that has stock cams with absolutely no cam timing adjustments with the addition of our FocusSport 4-1 race header after the baseline was established.

At 3200 RPMs the peak torque gain was 10.6 ft. lbs and at 5800 RPMs we gained 10.1 HP. Peak to peak gains can be seen on the dyno chart itself.

We really don't see low end losses as you can tell here. Power is gained throughout the powerband. Nice.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Very impressive, gains start just above 2500 rpm's. Looks as if below 2500 there is some loss, with an auto any loss down low really hurts.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I personnally believe it depends on intake side of the to decide what kind of power output there is. Rather it be torque or hp. I would like to see a dyno of fc race header but I think there scared to come on here. or if you focus sport guys have a 4-2-1 header. As soon as the dyno in shreveport opens back up I'll put russell header on my car or vice versa and find the truth out.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
It really matters what kind of 4-1 headers you're talking about...Are you talking about the 4-1 headers that arch-up or else the 4-1 headers that is basically a straight pipe down to the catback??

I've seen the number for the arched 4-1 headers and the most gains I've seen are 5 horses though the average gain is only about 1-2 horses. The 4-1 headers that is streched all the way back to the bottom of the car are much more impressive. Focussport and Focus Central all done test with the straight piped 4-1 headers and have gotton gains of over 10 horses on a modified car.

My only question is...On the straight piped 4-1 headers there are usually warnings stating *FOR SERIOUS RACERS ONLY!!!*...Why is that?? Is it because the lack of a catalytic (bad spelling) coverter?? Why not make a coverter that can be bolted on to the header then?? Isn't that an opinion? So far I haven't seen anything like this (well maybe the universal catalytic coverters but usually they don't bolt on too well). If someone could come up with this I think there well be many dollars to be made...mostly if you're talking about fellas like me who don't race all the time but still want the power. Come on, if Honda can hand 4-1 and 4-2-1 headers like these w/o having the RACERS ONLY slogan all over it why can't Foci owners too?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
My only question is...On the straight piped 4-1 headers there are usually warnings stating *FOR SERIOUS RACERS ONLY!!!*...Why is that?? Is it because the lack of a catalytic (bad spelling) coverter?? Why not make a coverter that can be bolted on to the header then?? Isn't that an opinion? So far I haven't seen anything like this (well maybe the universal catalytic coverters but usually they don't bolt on too well). If someone could come up with this I think there well be many dollars to be made...mostly if you're talking about fellas like me who don't race all the time but still want the power. Come on, if Honda can hand 4-1 and 4-2-1 headers like these w/o having the RACERS ONLY slogan all over it why can't Foci owners too?
ironically you spelled "catalytic" right and "converter" wrong.

hondas can run long headers because their cat is in a different location. our cars have a close-coupled cat, meaning it is located very close to the exhaust manifold. a long tube header requires the space taken up by the factory cat. several people have welded in cats downstream from the race header, but there just hasn't been a huge demand. those (like myself) who are concerned about the pollution aspect run shorty headers/high flow cats instead of the race header.

Nate

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I've seen the number for the arched 4-1 headers and the most gains I've seen are 5 horses though the average gain is only about 1-2 horses.
This topic is for race headers, not shorty headers

Focussport and Focus Central all done test with the straight piped 4-1 headers and have gotton gains of over 10 horses on a modified car.
Focus Central has not released any info on a 4-1 header because they don't even make one
Why is that?? Is it because the lack of a catalytic (bad spelling) coverter??
Yes
Why not make a coverter that can be bolted on to the header then??
Because right after the header is the flex pipe - good luck making a curved cat with moves too

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Eggyolk thanks for the info but for some reason I can't help but feel offended some how...

#1. Shorty headers are also 4-1..
#2. I'm sorry about Focus Central comment...They don't make a 4-1 but they do make a 4-2-1..my mistake...
#3. About a "curved cat"...I know you can't make one in such a fashion but if you noticed Honda's have their cats on the bottom of the car...I was just wondering why we (Foci people) can't adjust our to be like that...

Some people just think they know everything...cheese!

By the way thanks for the input Bmorezx3

1 - 20 of 39 Posts