Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a small dealer selling a 2003 SVT Focus for a kick ass price...

Anyone have carfax!?!?!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ended up just buying a carfax report and thank god I did...

I was searching auto trader out of the blue last night and came across this 80 miles away...

2003 SVT

SVT's are very rare around Iowa (I have only seen two or three since they were released back in 2002) and I thought this was some small town dealer that didn't know the difference between an SVT and a regular Focus and therefore priced it accordingly

Overall it looks very clean, but then I saw this picture and became pretty worried...

See what I see? And no, it's not the missing battery cover.

So I went over to car fax and found 13 records on it so I knew there had to be something wrong with it. Sure enough carfax said it was severely damaged and issued a Salvage title by an Iowa DMV and all warranty is Void.

$19.99 well spent

I'm thinking about emailing the dealer and playing dumb to see if they tell me it has a salvage title (since it does not mention it in the for sale ad)

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
What is it you see?

Anyway, that's good.

It is generally pretty rare that carfax finds anything significant! It is really easy to keep significant repairs away from the DMV! (I know, I've done it....)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is it you see?
That huge wire connector in the back of the engine bay

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looked suspicious enough for me to run a car fax!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
it doesn't have the svt intake snorkle!

come to think of it, is that even the svt intake assembly? i don't remember what it looks like, but that looks alot like the stock zx3 airbox...and the tube going to the throttle body has me wondering...wheres a under hood pic of a real svt?

found a stock svt engine bay pic, i guess the airbox is an svt one, but you know something has been done to the car, and probably by some dealer that doesn't know what they are doing, would think they would put the real svt snorkle on

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
damn, good catch!

·
Registered
677 Posts
that's an alarm horn.
I thought the same thing.

And the intake scoop by the grill has a wierd sticker. Other than those 2 things and a missing battery box, whats wrong with it.

What are they asking for it? Find out their price then tell them you know about the salvage title. See what they say/how the price drops.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
maybe that's WHY it's priced like it is. if the car is straight, it might be worth it.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Personally, everything looks a-ok to me... Although I ususally would never buy a car from someone who's put an alarm in their car. Why? I put those in for a living, and have seen some absolute hack-jobs. If my car has an alarm, it will ONLY be put in by me.

Good catch on the carfax though.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Even if they were to drop the price, I would never buy a salvaged car with no factory warranty.

It's just asking for trouble down the road, IMO.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
when I bought a subscription to carfax, I ran it on a whole list of cars at a charity auction. The best one was a 2000 civic. totally clean. when I got there and saw the car, I discovered that someone had slid that car sideways into a pole.
yeah. carfax is awesome.

I stopped using their service. Its just not possible for them to reliably provide the info that they are advertising.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I fthe car is straight and the dealer will alow you to get it checked at a body shop of your choice, I would jump on it.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't know...the dealer didn't state anything about it being a salvage car so that makes me believe they are not being to open about it and/or what happened to it.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
True, but who would look at an ad in the paper or online and see a car with "slavaged title" in the description and say, "well hell, that is just what I want"

Course they could be screwing around and not telling anyone.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
found a stock svt engine bay pic, i guess the airbox is an svt one, but you know something has been done to the car, and probably by some dealer that doesn't know what they are doing, would think they would put the real svt snorkle on
Now why does it have to be a dealer that did anything to it?

Man some of you guys are convinced the dealers are out to screw everyone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts