Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on my project 2002 ZX5 for several months now. Today was the day I finally put some fire in the cylinders.

Lots of you have helped directly and indirectly. So thank you all for making this project as pleasureable as it was. I don't know if I'll ever do this again as it was A LOT of work. But statisfying work.

Here are the results of my work and your help!

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 with 5 speed manual transmission

Engine:

Port and polished head with Crower Sport cams and springs and retainers (-6 exhaust, +4 intake)
Ported 2000 (model year) intake manifold
Focus Central 65mm throttle body
Focus Central underdrive pulleys
Volant air intake with SVT snorkel
APR Head bolts
Pro M 70mm MAF
Focus Central cam gears
AmsOil 5W/30 motor oil
Diablo Chip
Ford Racing Spark Plug Wires

Driveline:

Focus Central flywheel
Centerline Stage 1 clutch
4.06:1 differential gears
Torson torque biasing differential
Steeda Tri Ax shifter
AmsOil 75W/90 Series 2000 racing gear lube

Exhaust:

Focus Central race header
Bosal flex joint
Borla exhaust

Suspension:

Focus Central front stress bar
Koni adjustable shocks and struts
H&R springs (lowering 1.5”)
Eibach sway bars
Baer Track front brakes with Eradispeed disc
SVT rear disc brakes
Centerline RPM 17 x 7 polished rims with Michelin Pilot XGT H4 215/45R17 tires

Appearance:

Ford rear spoiler
Hella projection headlamps
PIAA Series 2100X driving lights
Ford aluminum sill plates
Steeda billet A/C knobs
Shorty billet antennae
Hella dual horns

Sound System:

Borla!

Thanks everybody - I'm heading out for a DRIVE!

[ 03-21-2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Stay Focused ]

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that is because I don't know how you all attach photos!!
I'd love to share some with you. I'm taking some pix this weekend. The sun is supposed to be out Sunday around these parts!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yah I wanna see that beeyawtch... Sounds mean as all hell

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Have you had it dyno tuned? If so, what type of numbers did it put out?

- Drew

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't had it dynoed yet. It is a very "green" motor. I'll get some gentle miles on it and then think about stressing it.

However, in my preliminary drive, it feels like a very fast car! Reminds me of my '84 Supra the way it holds me in the seat.

Pictures are coming. I've sent them to focusownerskid to post.

Thanks

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Car is stunning!

You said you didn't have it dyno tuned because of the less than broken in motor, then why are your car cam gears adjusted? Just set them there for fun?

Now, go get that motor broken in and tune that baby!

- Drew

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by CleanZX3:
You put gear lube in the tranny? Did amsoil recommend this?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes! I contacted their technical people early on in my rebuild. This inquiry was made just before the FocalJetters had the long and interesting threads about the AFT vs gear lube in our trannies.

So AmsOil weighed in on this one (I even included their reply in one of the responses I sent in). I've been very impressed with AmsOil over the years so I trust their lubrication expertise. So it is AmsOil Series 2000 gear lube in my tranny!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by focusownerskid:
You said you didn't have it dyno tuned because of the less than broken in motor, then why are your car cam gears adjusted? Just set them there for fun?

Now, go get that motor broken in and tune that baby!

- Drew[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I contacted Walter at Focus Central on some issues, challenges, and of an advisory nature during my transmission/drivetrain rebuild. The guidence he offered was right on the mark.

During one of the conversations, I learned of the "preferred" settings for cams on cars with like motor configurations as mine. So this is where I started. I don't view this as anything different than those that start at 0,0 or any other place. One has to start somewhere.

Did I mention the car goes really fast now?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Very nice!

cant wait for that badboy to be broken in so we can see the final tune & numbers!

Great job

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Nice sleeper

I love an all 'business' car

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by NY BLACK ZX3:
Nice sleeper

I love an all 'business' car
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That was my plan. If it weren't for the "noise", nobody would suspect anything was different about that car! Let's me sneak past local constabularies a little more incognito!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by TooleBox:
Very nice!

cant wait for that badboy to be broken in so we can see the final tune & numbers!

Great job
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks. Lots of people, as I said, on FocalJet played a role in this car. I wish I could thank you all personally.

·
Registered
375 Posts
How do you like the H&R/Koni setup? I've been trying to decide between that setup or the cup kit for a while now.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am very pleased with my Koni/H&R combination. One fear I had was the ride would be "lumber wagon" like.

This isn't the case at all. The ride is stiffer than stock for sure, but it seems very compliant in my driving. So firm, but still comfortable. Haven't had to replace any fillings in my teeth yet!

As for cornering - holy smokes does that pupply love the corners. I am REALLY love this car on the corners

I do not race my car, so all my reference points are from agressive, but safe, street driving. When I see that opening from my on ramp merge lane, zip; I'm in there!

I haven't stopped grinning from the first time I drove it this past weekend. My cheeks are getting sore. (not those cheeks)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts