Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything I can do to get those rubber/plastic trim pieces on my doors, quarter panels, and hatch to match the paint on the rest of my car? I have dark grey paint. Can I just paint them? Do I have to buy new trim pieces that can be painted? If so, where can I do that?

·
Registered
434 Posts
they need to be sanded, primed, and painted. I'm sure there are a few how-to's here. I wouldn't be able to help you, though, because focaljet's search function and I don't get along.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is, when I went to Maaco, just to ask about it, they said "You can't paint that molding, it won't work." I'm inquiring whether or not that is legit, if I <u>CAN</u>, I will.

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
Yes, you can paint them. And depending on color, you might be able to pick up some from Ford that are already paited to your code. You can also pick some up that come pre-primered from Ford.

·
Registered
74 Posts
duplicolor makes an exact color match to almost all foci's check at any auto parts store for you paint code color i think it is located on you driver door not totally sure about that but i think that is where you can find it

·
Registered
325 Posts
Maaco are a buncha hacks, I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them.

A few people have painted the plastic trim. Just be sure to prep really well, get matching paint and clearcoat and you'll be good.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I'll be painting mine this weekend.

I along with one other member recommend the use of Dupont Vinyl Paint. If you want additional protection, use Adhesion Promoter.

I wouldn't insist on rattle can paint. In my experience, Preval sprayers, spray more consistantly than the rattle cans.

Look forward to a thread including My How-To in the not to distant future.

·
Registered
892 Posts
you can paint anything on the car! I got my side moldings, rear hatch strip, door handles, and mirrors all color matched to my Liquid Gray...

·
Registered
292 Posts
i painted mine no prob... wrong color of course... but that shall be fixed when i get off my lazy rear.. lol. i didn't even take them off, just took lots of news papers, taped all around the trim peices and covered everything else good.. used a sanding sponge, then rattle canned my little heart out. few coats of clear and voila!
besides of course the fact that i used the wrong color....
so sometimes they look orange-ish..... kinda... ok i'm gonna go fix that now... but yes, they are very easy to paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts