Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The aftermath of the \"So-cal tire incident\"!

Well, I snapped some pics of my car this morning to show the damage that occured from hitting the tire tread at 70mph on the road back from South Bend.

Black paint scuffs from the tire tread itself I already buffed out, but you can see a blurry shot here:

The tire tread pushed back my bumper so far that the edge that meets the wheel well was pushed out after the force broke the clip in the well. The edge was pushed out and up to the point that I had to pull out on the edge to push it back in the fender well. You can see the crack in the paint at the edge, right before my fingers. You can click on the image for a hi-res shot.

And of course, from the flexing there was another crack:

You can see the crack where the lip meets the bumper right at the shadow line.

Overall I was REALLY lucky to only get that damage after hitting that tire tread going so fast. My deductible is $400, so this will more than likely remain this way until I decide to buy a new front kit for my car......

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Re: The aftermath of the \"So-cal tire incident\"!

Time for an F2 front bumper ??????

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts

Ouch. Sorry to see your damage! I too had a little run-in with an object at 80 mph. Except mine was an aluminum soda can, and it took a nice chunk of paint off of my front passenger side bumper.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts

Why do bad things happen to good paint jobs?

·
Registered
46 Posts

damn..that sucks...we had an incident on the way back east...but nothin like that...are the cars that were on the trailer ok??

·
Resident Wheel-Whore
10,594 Posts

Soooooo........what happend???

F2 bumper would be teh way to go!!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

that sucks but hey, you can just get a new front bumper! mine got messed up in my little accident too....lets just say im gonna start to browse new looks for my focus.....

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

We were right outside Terra Haute, In and I was following Chris in the RBR truck and trailer. The F2 trailer was already a bit ahead and in the right lane. Chris was stuck behind a slow vehicle and moved to the left lane to pass. I followed him over into the left lane.

I then see him KEEP GOING LEFT abruptly. I thought he lost control of the truck and trailer, but then I see the trailer's rear tire roll over a BIG chunk of truck tire tread........not a piece, but the WHOLE THING.

There was nothing I could do.....I couldn't swerve and when I got to it, it was sitting on its edge. WHACK! I rammed it head on and watched it come out the back of my car and shoot in the air right into the front bumper, fender or MillnDBill's car. It then bounced off and into the median, missing the 2 other Focuses behind his.

MillnDBill (Ryan) had black scuff marks ALL OVER his bumper, fender, and door. Luckily I took my wax at when we pulled over and got all of them out. Roadside detailing huh?
I don't think he had any other damage.

Since I drove OVER the tread, that's what caused it to flex my bumper so bad and crack it.

·
Registered
354 Posts

The fender is a little mis-aligned and a few scuffs but not too bad.

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts

Just remember, it could be much worse. This was a tire that was about the same size as the one in In.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

Just remember, it could be much worse. This was a tire that was about the same size as the one in In.

that happened on the way home?? from a re-tred???

·
Krunktronik Tuner Goblin
3,346 Posts

You made out good Jason. I hit/ran over a [censored] detatched car hood on the highway once doing 85mph.

smacked my front lip, dented my header, and banged up my exhaust all the way back. I'm surprised it didn't bend any my wheels.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

i beat you all, i hit a raccoon on the PA turnpike going 85 and it did $1200 in damages....

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts

No, that happened a few months ago when he was in so-cal. But yes, that damage also happened from a tire tread.
Actually it happened in Texas last year on the way back from NOPI.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts