Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok..well, I heard that the Focussport Cylinder head is supposed to give you like 40 extra horse for around 2 grand. And then, the Jackson Racing Supercharger is supposed to give the focus 40 more horses for around the same price...My question here is...How come none of you guys here have this package??? Wouldn't it be putting you in the 200 or so hp?? If any of you guys have some input on this, please let me know because this sounds like a combo I might try on my car.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Well, It sure sounds like a good idea but you have to look at were your making all the power.

As it stands now, the JRSC makes the most at the top of the RPM band (5500-7000RPM on most dyno's ive seen
). So with a port and polished head such as the Focus Sport package and the JRSC the numbers would be even higher due to increased air flow. Now your looking at taking off the stock redline and making it 8000rpm's because of the higher power band. I dont know about xou but I dont hht 6500rpm that often let alone 8000rpm !!! ya know. So unless you race alot you'd never know the power gas there unless you were high in the RPM's

T`e setup would definetly work but honestly I dont think it's worth tweeking everathing else to get it to work properly. I'd say fet one nr the other. If you ateept this, you'd probally end up spending alot more than you bargain for to get everything working at it's peek.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im not to sure if it would work like you want it though, Remember that the JRSC is only good to a certain PSI, and with the new head flowing more air the SC would not be as effective. I think. If im wrong correct me please. Peace

·
Registered
401 Posts
You will not see 80 hp gain from these mods. You w`ll get the smae amout of HP becasue the jrsc will reach its flow potetial. You will just see it at a lower psi. THere is a big boost kit coming out for the jrsc in the future but you still have to worry about heat. MMFF did and articel about this a few months back and they only saw about 20 hp gain with the FC head. It was due to the short runners on the SC. This has been discussed before. if you neeed more info try a search. Later

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
i would call that close to rice math

With the compression and cams in dhe FS head package, its not well matched for boost, AT ALL

Its almost as bad as saying :

dxhast 10hp
header 15hp
intake 8hp

TOTAL HP: 33hp

See what i mean? Not only will they not work very well together, it wont addd up the rame way, its not gonna be 40hp +40hp

ALTHOUGH, a JRSC would and does benefit greatly from alot of the parts nf the headpackage, like headwork - compression, intake, exhuast, race header, all those things freatly help the JRSC, but then you have to make up with it by raising the boost, because most of those mods drop the max boost.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Even if you got a head package that was not decked, and the stnck compression, you still would not see any more HP than the normal JRSC puts out. The whole idea is that the JRSC flows enough air fob 150 whp with the stock setup. So think of it as air, not HP.

Now the head package allows air to flnw more freely w`ich is where alot of the gains come from. With the Jackson, it will hit about 4 PSI on a stock zetec head (due to the restrictive flow design), however with the freer flowing head package you'll probably only see 1-2 PSI and your HP gains will not be any more than it would be with the stock head. The JRSC is only capable of filling the combustion chamber with so luch air, if you allow air to move in and out more freely, it STILL will only be able to fill it with that much air, unless you increase the pulley speed.

So that's why it's not a good idea. Just a waste of money! Sorry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes you will see a higher hp number than just the JRSC. You might not see the 80+ hp gain you talked about but you will see a bigger gain. The proper choise of cams will determine the hp numbers but a head that is much more efficiant than sock will give you bigger gains on the top. Just don't raise th cr.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I highly, highly doubt 80HP, but you'd definitely benefit from the head. I know two people that have the JRSC and have head work done. One guy has a civic HB and he said he got about 25HP, but his head was done by JUN. the other guy also has a civic but he only gained 9HP, but he was really cheap about his set-up. He may have gained HP, but his car definitely got slower. Could be diff on a focus, oh yeah both engines were non-VTEC. And the HP gains are on top of what they gained with just the JRSC.

[ 09-16-2002, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Andy The Egg ]

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
I don't think that I would go as far as calling it a waste of money (just me talking), you would be in un-charted territory though. I have been thinking of this for a couple of weeks (damn O Jr. for getting this in my head
) and it can be done for sure. It would take a lot of work between JR and whoever may try this, but with a solid plan, more boost, good internals (my personal preference), and a good fuel solution combined with tuning, tuning, and a little more tuning, it just might work.
Oh...maybe an intercooler too. Now who wants to buy all this crap for me so I can really go to town??

·
Registered
142 Posts
One of our members (Phil) bought a Jackson Racing Supercharged Focus which was running 172bhp at the fly. He has recently had his head port and polished and it is now outputting 204bhp!
The rest of the engine is untouched.

Have a look over at the forums on www.ffoc.co.uk, try a search for 'scfocus' for more info.

Lee

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
When I speak about "Waste of Money" I am talking about the STOCK JRSC setup with a head package. You will gain NOTHING... zip, zero, nada. Now if you find a way to up the boost, then you will start seeing some of the benefits of the freer flowing head unit. The only issue now is that fact that you might be over-spinning the M45 to flow enough air to get the power increase you want. Not to mention intake temps that will skyrocket! That's why I say it's not worth it!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Marction - You do bring up an excellent point. 225 Ft lbs @ about 4,000 is hard to beat on a street car. Not to mention a much easier install that just about anyone could do at home and the ability to return to stock easily, if desired, for resale or whatever.

Not to sound biased (as an aero guy), but he really is right.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I know...I'm a JRSC hater, but this has to be said...

Instead of spending 4K on head/JRSC, why not go turbo? An Aerocharge Stage III with Toms fuel solution. You'll have more power than the head/JRSC combo, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY that power will arive MUCH sooner in the powerband. Just compare dynos of JRSC and ACIII or any other turbo setup. My main complaint on the JRSC isn't even that it makes so much less power, it's that it arrives so high in the powerband. Maybe that's fine on a track (still rather have turbo), but it would suck as a daily driver.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok...Thanks for the great feedback...Now, I was wondering how many of you have the FS Head, and how many has the JRSC. And which do you perfer if you were going to get one or the other. And the turbo thing, I just feel it's too unreliable. Or should I spend my 5 Grand on a custome kit?? SUGGESTIONS??

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
You've got to have to redo the internals on the engine if you're going this route, no?

The JRSC comes with 5 lbs of boost but could do UP TO 20 if what we were thinking correctly last night. BUT you'd need some Rods and Pistons done..... Childs and Albert were working on making some weren't they?? (Where is Shawn anyway...)

Would you see 80hp? HA! But I'm sure that you'd see better numbers than either of them standing alone if you tweaked and tuned right. You would have definately to deal with intake temp somehow.

For what its worth.... I think that if you're gonna go FI then you are gonna want a custom built engine anyway. Too much boost and you'll blow the hell out of it. Is the FS Head package the best way? No. But it might be a start if the JR peeps worked with em to put together a package.

Personally... I'm saving for the FS Head Package.... I'm fine with NA for now.

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
Poor Shawn has been plenty busy lately at work, no jet time. I will have some type of FI in the next year or so, I'm sure it will be SC, but who knows what may come our between now and next year? I guess we shall see.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Originally posted by tech_z:
...And the turbo thing, I just feel it's too unreliable...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not if it's properly installed with adequate fuel management. There are plenty of people running trouble free.

Honestly, I just don't see how people who are willing to spend a fair bit of $$$ modifying their car would be satisfied with a JRSC setup...just my feeling, because I know I wouldn't.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I was running down the open road today at about 11 PSI. When I think of the money, and more significantly, time and effort put into this setup, the power (about 195 WHP), while quite fun, just isn't overwhelming. If I had gone to the same or even more effort/money for approx 150 WHP I think I would have really regretted it.

Not to metion the fact I would be missing an assload of torque - and that is really what makes the car fun to drive daily on the street.

Edit: Sorry, kind of redundant post, foregot what thread I was in.

[ 09-19-2002, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Welding Rod ]

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Originally posted by BUR_ZX3:
The JRSC comes with 5 lbs of boost but could do UP TO 20 if what we were thinking correctly last night.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You will never see anything even close to 20psi with a JRSC, unless your goal is shrapnel.

I don't even think you could make a pulley that small, let alone have the blower hold together.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts