Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a FR head and have had problems like me, you might have a bad head like me. i called FR today and they said that the messed up on a hand full of heads. the valve seats on the intake side did not get milled to the right sizes, which explains the large lash gap. so i have to send the head back to FR and they will then give me a good one.(the head is on my car) so ill have to remove it and start from step one again. thanks dan and ult. for all your help. Ill keep ya'll posted and post results when i get to that part of this project.

Ford racing #586-468-1356 if you need it

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
yes sadly, this has happened on a few of their heads...its the way roush has been doin them which has not met ford demands. its their fault, not ford. instead of having to send the head back, have em cut you a check to go have the valve seats ground down to make it spec.

save ya some shipping and time

-Ult

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
i'm glad you do did this and when thru all the steps...1 to show people why its so important, and 2 b/c i just heard last month that a guy destroyed his brand new head and even a couple pistons when he put it all in...essentially 'drop in'...guess b/c he thought he could w/all new valvetrain parts...

...good luck, gimme a holla if you need

...anythin for a BC110L or G12 man lol

-Ult

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey, Tekin are you not listening to a word I said you don't have to take that head off your car. If you want me to tell you how to fix it email me or call

[email protected]
318-746-1199 or 318-560-0329

Cory

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
its an official problem from ford racing and roush, he hast to send it back...sad but true.

-Ult

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
i'm glad you do did this and when thru all the steps...1 to show people why its so important, and 2 b/c i just heard last month that a guy destroyed his brand new head and even a couple pistons when he put it all in...essentially 'drop in'...guess b/c he thought he could w/all new valvetrain parts...

...good luck, gimme a holla if you need

...anythin for a BC110L or G12 man lol

-Ult
I'll be bolting mine on as soon as I can get Dan-d and Tekin together.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ult, the only reason its a problem is because the lifters for our car aren't made big enough to accommodate the gap. But what I'm trying to tell you guys is the lifters for the 98 contour will accommodate those gaps with no problem. You do not have to remove the head and if anybody needs help figuring up what shims they need I can help them just give me a call and I will be happy to help you. You don't have to send your head back and cost shipping, new head bolts, new head gasket and the time your car will be down, and the time it takes to do the exchange. Trust me these lifters work if you don't beleive me just ask chris toepel or Tony d or Tom. If you want the part number just ask.

Cory

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
i know about the adjustable ('shimable') tappets...but since its an official problem on their behalf, better for him to just get it exchanged and just get the right 1 now and be done with it.

-Ult

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
So are they now testing each head before they send them out...or are there a few of these bad heads circulating around? Heh...I always hate receiving bad head.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
So are they now testing each head before they send them out...or are there a few of these bad heads circulating around? Heh...I always hate receiving bad head.
no, just havin roush cut the valves seats where they wanted them instead of doin it their own way (which there's no shims for, save contour 1s).

-Ult

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Is the problem actually the seats not being gound to specs? Or are the seats not installed correctly in the head (i.e. not a deep enough pocket for the insert)? Thanks for the heads up...no pun intended!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
roush did not follow ford's specs...alas ford doesnt have shims big enuff to take up the gaps no matter what cam you have. mcnews got around this w/1 of the earliest heads by goin to a machine shop and havin the valve seats ground down. the heads are coming correct now, but keep this in mind. so lash your cams BEFORE you install the head. so if you get caught, than you save a lot of time and money (1-time use head bolts for example).

good luck

-Ult

1 - 13 of 13 Posts