Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone brought up an interesting point on another board tonite ....

With the law enforcement community so upset with the Vic right now, if they were to abandon the chassis, what will be the next mass marketed cop car to take its place??

Front/Rear drive, powertrain, utility, efficiency, space, etc ??? Taking those factors in effect ... what will it be?

I'd like to see the Holden Caprice come over. LS1 power, IRS, rear drive, large car feel.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yep, in Maine, the state troopers use Impalas.

My roommate is a local cop and they have crown vics, luminas and impalas in their fleet and he much prefers the crown vics. He says for the power and the seats.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Many countires use the I35. I'm sure Nissan could whip up a few hundred Maxima Interceptors.
(5th gen, not 6th)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I heard that police rather have the front engine rear drive platforms for durability in curb jumping.... like if they need to blast over a median or whatnot, the rwd cars handle this better. I personally think they should all drive Hyundai Accent base model hatchbacks....

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
NH police use the Crown Vics. Sherrif's use the Impala's as well as the City Police use the Ford Excursion Trucks.

·
Super Moderator
12,448 Posts
I don't see why they don't start looking into using the Monte Carlos.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Monte Carlo are freakin garbage
Heavy unpowered ugly Pos's.Best cop car ius the crown vic just cops complain to much, omg my gas tank punctured and caught fire after i got hit from behind at 180 mph by a super duty ford pickup

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Ford will likley base a new Police Interceptor on the 2005 oops 06 Mustang platform.

Powered by a 3valve 4.6 V8, and 2.7l V6 diesel.

Ford knows that they can't keep the 25year old panther platform around forever.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
I think they should take a cue from the Mexico police and use old style VW bugs. nothing like seeing 3 cops and a perp crammed into a bug.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I wonder if Dodge will create a police version of their RWD Intrepid replacement (charger?). RWD, IRS, 5.7L HEMI.. hmmm..

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
i've seen camaro's, intrepids, intrigues, expeditions, crown vics (mostly), impalas, luminas (in metro areas), and horses.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I think they'll stick to the Vic's mostly. While you do hear a lot of complaining in the media, 95% of police forces KNOW the Crown Vic is the safetest car available right now. It's only 5% that are making a big stink, and Ford is now fighting back.

Ford has now announced that they will refuse to sell Crown Vics to any force that has launched a lawsuit, and all of the sudden the forces are saying "Uh, wait a sec... can we talk about this?"

They are demanding a car to do something that is impossible, and Ford is sticking up for itself saying "NO. If you can find a better car, buy it instead." When the forces look at the alternatives... they are reconsidering.

·
Registered
742 Posts

I'm starting to see Intrepid's alot more now.
yeah, there's some towns over here that use them too. i was with a friend of mine who got pulled over by one while driving his intrepid... it was a little weird.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
YA! I hate it when you come up on one at night and you cant figure out if its a cop or not. You cant tell till you get up close to them at night. I have also seen a lot of state troopers in FL using SS Camaros, but they dont make them anymore. L8er Jon

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I believe they should all drive SVT Focus's next
So then we won't get tickets because we drive the same car as they drive wahahahaha! The cops around my area drive Crown Victorias. I've seen a Corvette Sherrif driving around and last week I saw a brand new black VW Bug transformed into a cop car.

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
Here in ol California..its almost all crowns...but Im Hawaii on the Bid Island they credit the cops to drive thier own vehicles modified...you never know what youll .see..Camaros..pick-ups..;got to keep your eyes open

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
Ford will likley base a new Police Interceptor on the 2005 oops 06 Mustang platform.