Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear crossmember arrived in the mail today! Yay! I'll finally be able to have a rear sway bar, my model conversion will be complete.

Ordered my Koni's today as well. Should arrive later this week.

All that's left is to install the parts and get some real tires (V710s anyone?) and put together a *light* exhaust (straight pipe anyone?)

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
some real tires
I had a reasonably long talk with Jeff Cashmore yesterday about that...Hoosiers are still "faster"(...at least on an ES MR2...).

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweeeet.

...I wish you could make it to 05 Nats with that thing.
Yeah, I was just in Topeka this weekend for the MidDiv Championship event and it suddenly dawned on me that if I don't somehow find a ride for Nats, I'll never get to run at Forbes again.....

I've been trying to find a competitive seat, but they are all taken at this point.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
His is a 93 which is more camber challenged than the 91's, but he can run 15's instead of 14's...now being that we have much better weight distribution in the Toyota than our cars, you still may be right...but it's not because the has *that much* more camber.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Well, the main selling point of the V710s (for me) is the fact that they last, and are cheaper. Plus, Hoosier doesn't make a 215/40/16....
This a little off topic...but, do you think the 215/40-15 V710s would make good road-course open-lapping tires for dry HPDEs? I'm kicking tire options around for next year.

I've been running Falken RT-215s (215/40-16) and RA1s (205/40-17) at the track this year. I'd like to run R-compounds on the 16-inch wheels, but I'm not keen on the RA1s option in 16-inch sizing. The other option is the V700 in 205/45-16. Any comparative thoughts on these options would be appreciated.

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well that depends on how long you want the tire to last.

V710s last a long time (relative to Hoosier S04,5's), but Victoracer V700s will last a ton longer.

EDIT: I just realized that maybe you were refering to the Ecsta V700s, in which case, those suck as track tires unless you shave them (or you only run them in the rain).....

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Well, the main selling point of the V710s (for me) is the fact that they last, and are cheaper. Plus, Hoosier doesn't make a 215/40/16....
This a little off topic...but, do you think the 215/40-15 V710s would make good road-course open-lapping tires for dry HPDEs? I'm kicking tire options around for next year.

I've been running Falken RT-215s (215/40-16) and RA1s (205/40-17) at the track this year. I'd like to run R-compounds on the 16-inch wheels, but I'm not keen on the RA1s option in 16-inch sizing. The other option is the V700 in 205/45-16. Any comparative thoughts on these options would be appreciated.

Thanks for any thoughts.
This is just supposition from the input of others at autocrosses, but I don't think the 710 will make a good track tire. The top drivers all cool down their 710's with water after a 60 second run. They have stated if they don't they get greasy. So I don't think they would handle the heat of a track day.

Of course I could be way off the mark

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, you're slightly off the mark

We've been running the V710s all season on the PFM Spec Miata, and they've been flawless. We got just about 6 track hours outta the first set before we completely "retired" them (no pun intended).

And I've recorded as high as 170* in the center of the tire with no reported ill handling effects from the driver. Though, you do have to change your driving style as the tire heats up, which is possibly why us crazy autocrossers spray our tires. Consistency is key....

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

Thanks for any thoughts.
For HPDE and open lapping I don't think you'll find a better bang for you buck tire than the ra-1. Run 205/55/16 or 225/50/16 with a little fender lip rolling. Even better would be the 235/40/17 when f2 comes out with their 17x8 rims.

I'm running michelin psc's in 225/45/17, but they are really best suited for summer only.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
All that's left is to install the parts and get some real tires (V710s anyone?) and put together a *light* exhaust (straight pipe anyone?)
Duratec Tuning suggests that the Borla flex-back, as found on my car, is the lightest commonly-available exhaust. Out of curiosity, how are you going to make a lighter one? Are you seriously going to run straight-pipes? I heard enough of that crap at JetFest.

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
Duratec Tuning suggests that the Borla flex-back, as found on my car, is the lightest commonly-available exhaust. Out of curiosity, how are you going to make a lighter one? Are you seriously going to run straight-pipes? I heard enough of that crap at JetFest.
My idea for a custom exhaust on my SVT was off the header: ORP, Flex, to a borla muffler, resonator, and turnoff right before the IRS.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't the scrilla for a pimpy borla exhaust. I'll probably piece together a 2.25" cat-back with just a dynomax where the stock resonator normally resides, then out the back. I bet that system will be just as light (if not lighter) than the high $ borla flex-back.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

Thanks for any thoughts.
For HPDE and open lapping I don't think you'll find a better bang for you buck tire than the ra-1. Run 205/55/16 or 225/50/16 with a little fender lip rolling. Even better would be the 235/40/17 when f2 comes out with their 17x8 rims.

I'm running michelin psc's in 225/45/17, but they are really best suited for summer only.
Can you confirm if the 225/50/16 absolutely requires fender rolling? That was the size I'm going to get next.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Maybe I missed this on an earlier thread, but why run 225/50? Doesn't that murder your final drive ratio? I'm running 205/55s, and even that's a noticeable change.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts