Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn, I dont know what to do! First I thought short ram, but not here in FL, then I thought Iceman, but I dunno about that either. Now im thinkin SVT intake. Wouldnt the SVT snorkel, airbox (with high-flow filter), and side duct be the best for a ZX3 since its designed by SVT engineers?? Or is that side duct useless? Or will the whole intake assembly not even give me anything cuz I dont have an SVT??? The SVT has the side duct instead of the resonator right? Could I get an iceman side duct for it? Im to my last straw here, I am about to just buy somethihng and say "fuggit" I mean everyone has different things to say. I dont want AEM cuz I dont feel safe (even with the tests in the water and the by-pass). Tell me about the SVT intake please!!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
fs cool-flo
..........hands down, #1 pick

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
buy the AEM short ram and then get the SVT snorkle.
it works great for me, and i live in tampa.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
short rams dont work, they just sound louder, even in tandem w/3rd party snorkels...now cars that are startin to make some good power are noticing the loss of power when the hood goes back down off the dyno.

iceman!!! snorkel is alright, if you wanna do it on the cheap.

-Ult

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Well, I know this isn't much help. But I have a CoolFlow along with an SV snorkle ... I think it does great. You can see pictures of it in the Team Rigs section. Look for the pix of my car "dan-d"

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have absolutely no complaints with my AEM Cold-Air kit. Amazing how much it opens the car up, gotta love the sound too.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
buy an iceman and get it over with already!!!!

-Ult
I second that
Get it in black if you want an OE look or in a cool color if you want it to stand out.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Iceman

·
Registered
155 Posts
Volant, can't go wrong with the volant, sounds like a beast and doesn't sacrifice low end torque for high end hp (although it has nice high end hp as well)

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Volant, can't go wrong with the volant, sounds like a beast and doesn't sacrifice low end torque for high end hp (although it has nice high end hp as well)
I LOVE my k&n FIPK Short-Ram w/ SVT Snorkle, BUT, I'd Recommend the Volant modded w/ the SVT Snorkel if I had it to do over again.
I've NEVER had "Heat-Bog" Problems, but that Volant Air-box, Plus the Snorkel looks like the Ticket to Me.
No Water Problems, Good Flow, Nice Sound...+, Expandability if they ever release that "Underhood Ram-Air Scoop".

·
Registered
222 Posts
Volant ALL the way 100% Great sound, nice power, and looks good too!!!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Prolly gonna hit up the Ice Man. Wanna keep it looking stock just in case. Can anyone tell me if the Ice Man has a nice sound to it? Obviously it wont be like a short ram, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

thanks for everything guys

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I have an Iceman, and yes, you notice the intake sound--but it is not overly loud or obnoxious.

·
Registered
143 Posts
have AEM CAI, agree with Erik, sound is definitely not obnoxious, mine has good low rumble up to 5k, then starts screaming up to 7k(full throttle), but definitely not obnoxious, pure music to the ears

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
AEM>other intakes.

'Nuff said.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
AEM and 70mmPro-M MAF dont play w/each other= not good.

AEM Bypass failures=not good.

AEM=Iceman in gains

AEM>Iceman by 100bux...woohoo i guess its in the sticker and license plate frame.

AEM=Cop sees easy add-on 'fix-it' ticket.

-Ult

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I had a very bad experience with my AEM CAI yesterday.

HUGE rain storm that I was stuck driving through. Well, I go to give it gas after a few minutes in the rain to make a pass, and NOTHING. Freaked me out. The filter was so soaked it just died when I tried to step on it. I'll NEVER put another long-tube intake on the car again. I promptly put my stocker back on, and I'm going to probably purchase a Volant or a Cool-Flo early next week.

AEM = good if you don't have to drive in rain and you want to clean your filter every 3000 miles.

I, personally, would rather not worry about water anymore.

·
Registered
482 Posts
i've run my best times with the stock air intake and airbox with motorcraft stock air filter w/ resonator intact. go figure.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts