Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
EAT MORE CORN DAMNIT!!!!
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**Please do not turn this into a huge arguement**

Why is my car so disliked??? Why is it not considered a "Statement" car??? I know this has been discussed before, but an answer was never really given. I would just like for myself and the other ST owners to have our cars given that little extra distincion as well. Instead of the ST's continuing to be labeled as the "Poor" replacement for the SVT.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Simply put, it's not that the car is bad in any way, it's just that the FJ public expectations are/were too high. Alot of Focus enthusiasts, including myself, expected Ford to up the ante, keep up with the changing times of the market, and basically improve upon the SVT package. Ford didn't do that with the ST.

As said though, it's by no means a bad car. In fact, it definitely has potential. But at the same time, it hardly competes with any of the leading performance-oriented/marketed 'sport compacts' out there now straight from the factory.

I don't think the car will ever become a 'statement' car, but I do think that the '05/ST rep is gaining traction, and is steadily gaining a better image in our world. I for one really like the new ST.

Like many things in life, people will soon realize that complaining about what should/could have been does nothing but annoy others.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Alot of people simply dont like the looks of the 05. I hate em. And, think there ugly. I like the old body style alot better. I would have bought another focus. But, it goes back to the body style. It will never or could come close to an svt replacement. If, the svt was still made. In the older body style. I would have bought one. Now, it turns out. They are more than likely bringing back an svtf. Oh well. Maybe next time.

**Please do not turn this into a huge arguement**

Why is my car so disliked??? Why is it not considered a "Statement" car??? I know this has been discussed before, but an answer was never really given. I would just like for myself and the other ST owners to have our cars given that little extra distincion as well. Instead of the ST's continuing to be labeled as the "Poor" replacement for the ST.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Why is my car so disliked??? Why is it not considered a "Statement" car??? I know this has been discussed before, but an answer was never really given. I would just like for myself and the other ST owners to have our cars given that little extra distincion as well. Instead of the ST's continuing to be labeled as the "Poor" replacement for the SVT.

I thought that at first, until I drove one. They are decent; they just need a drop and some wheels/tires.

The '05 NA restyle looks the best on the sedan...

Here's a guy in AZ with a super-clean example of a car that I'd be proud to drive:

His [FJ] username is tymeks.

·
Look under the curve... UNDER THE CURVE!
3,134 Posts
You're just grumpy because you are still waiting for the rest of your parts to show up before you can drive it.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
1) Looks. The tail lights and rear end don't look that bad, but as Xero said, the headlights now look like every other car on the road. For us, Ford kind of abandoned the things that people thought made the Focus unique.

2) They axed the SVT, and expected us to be okay with that, and the ST was ford's "apology" present to Focus lovers. I've test driven an '03 SVT, and an 05 ST. Both were fun, but I feel like my ZX3 with it's current mods (not many) would have shown the ST who's boss. The ST doesn't stack up to the SVT, and it wasn't meant to.

3) Finally, there's no ZX3 ST or ZX5 ST. Those of us who would rather drive a hatchback are stuck with the less powerful engine and no hope to get the 2.3 in a new Focus if we ever wanted one. Our options are to find a gently used 04 SVT, or go to a Mazda 3.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Why did the mess with the headlights? That was a unique Focus look.
I have to disagee with this. The headlights might have been unique in 1998 when the Focus first rolled out, but by 2003 several cars in the world had the same "triangle" headlights.

It took a little bit for the '05 look to grow on me, but not liking a new model at first is nothing new. The thing is personal preference, some will like the old, some will like the new. Like all, I wish the C1 Focus was here as well, but it isn't. I now find Ford's Focus revisions to be tasteful and a little more sophisticated. I also find the new look to be a better fit with its bigger siblings, the 500 & Fusion. I've owned 3 Zetecs (ZX2,ZX3 & ZX5) and each one was better and more refined than the previous. I must say, with my current car, an 05 ST, I believe Ford has finally worked out all the kinks. The new Duratec is a FAR better motor, it's smoother, faster, better mod potential, better on gas & greener to the environment ~ I love my ST.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Someone down the road from me recently bought a red focus st and it's very very nice car, they really like it alot and when they just cruise by it has very nice sound to it and it sounds awesome under wot. Nice car they did a god job on them

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Ford does not design for the car person, they design for the average, everyday person. SO, I would have liked to have the 2.3L power in the 2.0L and spin the little focus up to 7000+ rpms as a STARTING point. I'd also like to see 175 hp for the upper version.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
3) Finally, there's no ZX3 ST or ZX5 ST. Those of us who would rather drive a hatchback are stuck with the less powerful engine and no hope to get the 2.3 in a new Focus if we ever wanted one.
Glad I got mine when I did.

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts
My biggest dislike of the ST is the fact that Ford has removed the personality of the car.

Yes I am getting used to the front end and it does have the 2.3. But I can't quite accept the cookie cutter Ford interior.

And, as has already been mentioned, the Hatches have been left in the lurch. I personally don't care for sedans. So, I was even biased against the ZTS for that reason.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
My problem, I guess with the ST is that while it is nice it's just a little too "middle of the road". If it had 200hp then it begin to be a contender in the 2005 small car market.

As it is,

Nice but enough more than the previous ZTS (I guess thats ZX4 SES now) to really grab my attention.

Biggest problem with '05's in general? Every time I see one head on I think 'Jetta' not focus, until I get close or see the side.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
My take on this:

1. FocalJet is "youthful enthusiast" oriented. This type of person likes performance and cutting edge styling. They also prefer two door hatchbacks.

2. These people were very enthused when the 2.3 Duratec became available. Egz and others even went some distance out of state to get one.

3. They were very disappointed when the 2.3 was only available in the top of the line sedan for 2005. The shift away from the cutting edge styling was also not well recieved.

Hence the tendency on FJ to knock the 2005 Focus.

Why did Ford do what they did? I do not have any nationwide statistics to back this up, only what happened at the two local Ford dealers. I got this info from salesmen at both dealerships.

1. In 2000 ZX3's outsold the Sedans by a small margin.

2. Starting in 2001 the Sedans started to outsell the ZX3's to the point that in 2004 the ratio was two Sedans for every ZX3.

3. Most of the Sedan sales are to 35+ year olds who are looking for a cheap commuter car that also has easily accesible room for the kids.

4. It follows then that if you are selling mostly sedans to the people with the money to buy a little more luxury then you should make the luxury model a sedan.

The front end styling change is easy to figure out since one of the complaints about the Focus from the beginnng was the inablility to see the front of the car which caused people to bump into things (If you wnat to hear my rant about people who have this problem let me know!)

I have a 2001 Sedan and like it very much. I also like the 2005 exterior styling on the Sedan. I do not particlularly like the new interior style. But, refer to 3 and 4 above and you will see the reason. Ford is giving the people who buy what they want to see or are used to.

Side Note: The higher hood styling will probably only get worse, especially if some of the European pedestrian safety stands are adopted here.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Because they dumped the SVT and left this pos as their "performance" Focus.

The looks are not bad, at least on the outside, though the interior looks like any other economy car now which sucks. One of the reasons I liked the Focus was the cool dashboard which stood out from the other cheap cars.

·
I'm the 'intellectual' here
4,225 Posts

The looks are not bad, at least on the outside, though the interior looks like any other economy car now which sucks. One of the reasons I liked the Focus was the cool dashboard which stood out from the other cheap cars.
First off:

People forget that although the D20 is less powerfull than the D23, the stock D20 still blows the crap out of any Zetec or SPI. A stock D20 will even hold its own (very well) against Zetecs that are fairly modded. My completely stock D20 pulls on my friends (DocIon) '02 Zetec with CAI, exhaust, fuel rail, underdrive pulley, among other mods. While most are correct, D23>D20, don't forget, D20>Zetec>SPI. The D20 is plain and simple, an awesome engine that has tons of potential.

Second:

As for the SVT, in my opinion it was good for Ford to discontinue it. Calling a 170hp hatch the "Sport" version was a joke in my opinion. The SVT was a good, strong engine but it lacked greatly in power as compared to the rest of the market. Don't get me wrong, I love the SVT, but it was time for Ford to [censored] or get off the pot, and they decided to take the SVT off the pot. Hopefully they will some out with something that can come close to comparing the the WRX, EVO, and SRT4 next time the try to do a sport version of the Focus.

Finally:

The 00-04 interior is just as cheap, if not cheaper, than the '05 interior. Just because the 00-04 has triangles and pointies doesn't mean it is harder or more expensive to make. In my opinion (and my 3 other friends who have pre-05 Foci) the '05 looks more refined and much sturdier, not ugly and cheap as I hear so many people say.

And remember, don't throw stones if you live in a glass house. People talk crap about how ugly and underpowered they think the '05 is all the time, so don't feel all butt boned about my comments.

·
Registered
518 Posts
First off:

People forget that although the D20 is less powerfull than the D23, the stock D20 still blows the crap out of any Zetec or SPI. A stock D20 will even hold its own (very well) against Zetecs that are fairly modded. My completely stock D20 pulls on my friends (DocIon) '02 Zetec with CAI, exhaust, fuel rail, underdrive pulley, among other mods. While most are correct, D23>D20, don't forget, D20>Zetec>SPI. The D20 is plain and simple, an awesome engine that has tons of potential.

Second:

As for the SVT, in my opinion it was good for Ford to discontinue it. Calling a 170hp hatch the "Sport" version was a joke in my opinion. The SVT was a good, strong engine but it lacked greatly in power as compared to the rest of the market. Don't get me wrong, I love the SVT, but it was time for Ford to [censored] or get off the pot, and they decided to take the SVT off the pot. Hopefully they will some out with something that can come close to comparing the the WRX, EVO, and SRT4 next time the try to do a sport version of the Focus.

Finally:

The 00-04 interior is just as cheap, if not cheaper, than the '05 interior. Just because the 00-04 has triangles and pointies doesn't mean it is harder or more expensive to make. In my opinion (and my 3 other friends who have pre-05 Foci) the '05 looks more refined and much sturdier, not ugly and cheap as I hear so many people say.

And remember, don't throw stones if you live in a glass house. People talk crap about how ugly and underpowered they think the '05 is all the time, so don't feel all butt boned about my comments.

Some great points
I think that a lot (not everyone!) of the people that put down the interior of the '05 probably haven't spent a lot of time inside the car OR haven't even been inside one. My first reaction of the interior of the '05 was negative. But once I was in one, drove one & got touchy feely with one ~ I started to see that the new materials used are better.

Oh, and "NightStalker_ZX3" calling the ST a POS
Give me a break! NO it's not an SVT, but it's still a really nice working car with lots of subtle differences over the standard ZX4... PLUS, its sticker price is $3000 less than the SVT. So I think it's good value at that price & being damn near as quick as the SVT.

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
My take on this:

3. They were very disappointed when the 2.3 was only available in the top of the line sedan for 2005. The shift away from the cutting edge styling was also not well recieved.
Hence the tendency on FJ to knock the 2005 Focus.
Why did Ford do what they did? I do not have any nationwide statistics to back this up, only what happened at the two local Ford dealers. I got this info from salesmen at both dealerships.
1. In 2000 ZX3's outsold the Sedans by a small margin.
2. Starting in 2001 the Sedans started to outsell the ZX3's to the point that in 2004 the ratio was two Sedans for every ZX3.
3. Most of the Sedan sales are to 35+ year olds who are looking for a cheap commuter car that also has easily accesible room for the kids.
4. It follows then that if you are selling mostly sedans to the people with the money to buy a little more luxury then you should make the luxury model a sedan.
I have a 2001 Sedan and like it very much. I also like the 2005 exterior styling on the Sedan. I do not particlularly like the new interior style. But, refer to 3 and 4 above and you will see the reason. Ford is giving the people who buy what they want to see or are used to.
I think that is a local thing to a degree. At first ford was not going to release the hatch in the US and then decided to give the ZX3 a try, it sold well and then they released the ZX5. I think the reason they closed one plant was because the sales of sedans and wagons dropped so much and the ZX3/ 5 gained sales. I think that’s partially why the SVT was replaced with a sedan ST, The US traditionally likes sedans more, and they wanted to drive sales of the sedan more.

Also when I bought the car I bought it because I liked it, It was a good size commuter car that fit my friends. I would have liked a more luxurious version of the focus, but luxury does not mean they have to make the design boring. The part of the counter I live in, American cars are the minority. The VAST majority of cars here are Jap or Euro cars. You would swear VW was the biggest car company in the world. The focus was actually the only ford product that people would give you any respect for driving. I had a rental Taurus for a wile when my focus was being fixed and I was actually embarrassed to be seen driving the thing. I remember going to the local ford dealer one day and there was about 200 foci on the lot, ALL fully loaded, the sticker price averaged like $21,000. A month later I went back and the ONLY cars left were like 3 base models that no one wanted.

Since the 05 redesign there are far less options in the car. And the inside does not look right at all. The inside it all square lines, but nothing lines up since they didn’t actually move the location of anything. What worked with the new edge asymmetrical design does not work with hard rigidity.

Second:

Finally:

The other thing the 2000 focus interior was the nicest. Since they every year ford cheapened the interior. In 2000 the focus had lots of nice detail, soft touch plastics, etc. They made a few revisions and every year took something out. By the time it got to 04 the inside was full of hard plastic, lacked any accent trim, lost the fabric door inserts etc…

The 2005 was a ½ baked step at cost cutting disguised as a “redesign”. Even my mom said “wow all the commercials built up the 05 focus as this major redesign, all they did was slap a different front end, and cheaper interior on it”

The average public is not stupid, the focus has been cheapened, and it’s to the point allot of people don’t want it any more. Hell look at how much sales of the car plunged.

I bought the focus because it was a NICE small car, once ford cheapened it, and made it boring, what good is it? That’s what a civic is for. If ford made the SVT focus as a sedan, and had stability control in it instead of the stupid traction control system that could not be turned off I definitely would have bought it. When I heard ford was going to release a sedan performance car I got really excided, then I saw the American ST. They made the sedan look so cheep in my opinion I like the hatchback styling better now, and now they don’t make the hatchback as a performance sedan!

I know allot of people were turned off by the focus because if they got one model they could not get other options. If you get the SVT 6 speed, they you can’t get stability control. If you get stability control you are stuck with a smaller motor. Now ford didn’t completely lose out because these people went on to buy other ford products (one person bought an s60, which they now HATE because it’s too big) but these were people with $30,000 to spend, and they were looking at a focus!

I really think if ford released the E spec focus, with a reasonable pricing for the vastly better cars, it would have at least sold well in the north east.

Oh the other stupid thing about the SVT focus, I live in what statistically is one of THE wealthiest parts of the country. I can drive down 1 stretch of road and pass a Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes, Audi, Aston Marton, etc dealer, yet the closest SVT dealer was nearly an hour away! I see almost ANY performance in the “compact” car on a daily basis, SRT-4 Mis evo, sub STI, but no SVT focus! I think this is one place ford really lost sales, a market that really likes euro style cars, and they released the car in a dealer network that had no penetration in this market. Subaru sells 35% of all there cars in New England, and Audi is almost non existent in the rest of the country, here its almost as common as a Toyota Camry to see an A6.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I have owned 3 focuses now. 2 '00's and now one 05. My car shown in the pic up at the top of the page, is BY FAR a better vehicle than my previous two. The NVH was GREATLY reduced. The vehicle is MUCH MUCH smoother to drive. I have leather with suede in the middle of the seats. Very nice. I have suede in the door inserts, volume control on the steering wheel. All this and more on the interior make the car much better than my two previous sedans.

The exterior I get folding mirrors that are painted. All the pillars are gloss black instead of not painted like my other cars.

It might not be a BMW like some of you guys are expecting but I love my ST. I paid just a tick over $13,000 for the car. Show me a car on the market right now that is this refined that you can buy BRAND NEW for 13K. That has leather and suede 4 wheel disk, side airbags, moon roof, 2.3L motor. I can't think of ONE car out there that comes within 2 grand.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts