Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i got I/H/E and my brithday its in almost a month in a half and the girlfriend is going to get me what ever i want, so i was wondering what should i get next, i was thinking of getting the Xcaliber 2, but i also want some cams and i dont know if i should go whit some stg.1 or 2?? i want a daily driver but eventually maybe reach around 185 to 200 whp, so what would the next best thing to impprove my performance??i know a lot of people ask the same question, also when i do decide to get some cams which one' would best be for what im looking for??

·
Registered
193 Posts
It is rather simple, you need to decide if you want 185whp or 200+whp

If you just want 185whp, put Crane Stage 1 cams and you'll have one sweet ride, trust me on that. Gread daily driver ~175 whp, possibly more and you'll probably run 14s all day at the track.

If you want to get 200+whp plan for pistons, springs, and Stage 2 cams. It will cost you $$$!

I would spend extra money improving Brakes, and suspension to build a wonderful all around street car.

I drove a car I just described and it was simply wonderful, I would love to drive a car like that to work everyday.

To answer your question, do you have B.S. delete kit? Flex pipe? Balance shaft is free HP, worth time and money. And I Stage 1 is worth a shot.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i was thinking Stg.1, also if i get the xcaliber would it be good to raise the redline to 7500 rpm's or there wouldnt be any power gains after 6500??

·
Registered
296 Posts
With cams you'll still make some power over 6500, but with a stock flywheel you can't rev past 7100 my friend...

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With cams you'll still make some power over 6500, but with a stock flywheel you can't rev past 7100 my friend...
why is that??

about the MM BS delete i order one from Tony at Newedgeperformance but hes out of them and Walter is on vacation so i think its going to be a while before i get it, peace

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so any thing under 7100 its ok, passing 6500 on the stock flywheel is already pushing it hard??

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Could be. Check out the SVT, for instance. IIRC, their flywheels are a lot like ours, and a lot of them have had a flywheel grenade even with their stock rev limit of 7200.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have Stage 2 Cams...car seems to pull well up to 6500, but runs out of breath after it. So Reving past 7000 really makes no sense, unless you have Walter's set-up where it makes all the peak power at 7500.

Revs are hard on the engine.....they might be safe till 7100 on Duratec w/ stock Flywheel, but simple truth is that 7000rpm pulls will wear your engine a lot faster then 6000rpm pull. BMW used to make 3-series with a 2.5/2.7l M20 engines, 325e designation, those cars only reved upto 4900RPM for emission and mileage purposes and those engines last forever. You can still buy one with 300,000 that will run fairly well and you'll be surprised how you can still kick ass in AutoX with that car.

Or take for example Diesel Mercedes Engines, entire Europe uses them as Taxis cause you can drive 1,000,000 miles on that engine without problems. Why? Cause diesels redline at like 4800rpm.

On the other hand Honda survived well with its small high revving engines, so I wouldn't worry too much about revving my Duratec in 2005 as I would in let's say 1985.

Before 7,000rpm stock Duratecs are very solid.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I personally am in the same boat I/H/E and im going back and forth over The Xcal 2 and Stage 1 cams, so ive decided to wait for the Xcal2 and have FocusSport make me a seperate tune for my cams later.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well I know that if money is no question then I would go with the cams....Stg 1....You go any higher you will have to fork out dough for springs and retainers.(you will not pistons right away)Like vitoal18t said you must decide on how much whp you want.Hopefully I will have my car dynoed this Saturday and I will post how it does with what I have done(look at the signature)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so if i decide to go whit the Stg.1 cams would i need the Xcaliber on the spot or could i wait before i put the tunes?? peace

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
As long as you're sticking with Stage I cams, you won't need a flash right away. However, it will make the car perform better, drive better, and stall less.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts