Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around for springs for the svt. I have talked to people that say dont drop it, it will just screw up the great ride. I just dont care about ride anymore after the cupkit i had on the zx3. What would be the best spring setup? Eibach? Tein? H&R?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Do you want performance, or just looks? It's easy to get a nicer-looking drop than the SVT suspension, but it'll take a little more serious approach to improve on the handling.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
H&R Race springs are probably the best for looks and performance together. You'd need Koni or Gaz or some other adjustable dampers for them, though. And I really hope you were serious about not caring about the ride.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i really dont care bout ride but will there b a noticeable drop since the svt is already lowered from the factory? and do u have new shocks when u do this? what if u dont?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
H&R race is about a 2" drop for a ZX3, I think. So it would be 1 1/4" down from the SVT ride height. If you don't install better shocks and struts, the ride will be even worse, and the car will bounce up and down a lot every time you hit a bump.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I like the drop from my Eibachs. It dropped about 0.75" front and 1.0" rear. The ride quality is only slightly stiffer. Plus I didn't need an alignment because there wasn't much change in geometry other than a little more negative camber. I also got the Pro-Dampers, but the stock dampers should work fine with the Pro-kit springs. Check out the link in my sig for a pic.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Plus I didn't need an alignment because there wasn't much change in geometry other than a little more negative camber. I also got the Pro-Dampers, but the stock dampers should work fine with the Pro-kit springs.
While you probably wouldn't need any camber correction, an alignment is very important after any suspension work. Removal and reinstallation of suspension parts is very likely to change your toe settings, which can shred tires if uncorrected.

Also, the SVT dampers probably will be fine at first for just Eibach Pro springs. But they'll eventually go bad, and you'll have to go through all the trouble of installing the new ones and getting it aligned. It's cheaper in the long run to do springs and dampers together.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The only reason the alignment changes is because the ride height is lower, not because it was taken apart. There's no adjustment in anything I took apart. I checked the toe and it did change a little, but it was still in spec. I did give the tie-rods a slight twist to get it closer to what it was, but I don't think it was really necessary. The camber is at the limit of being in spec, but there's nothing I can do about it short of getting camber plates and bolts.

The Pro-kit springs are only about 10% stiffer, which won't result in a mismatch large enough to cause much additional wear. The stock dampers probably have plenty of life left. However, the Pro-dampers are probably a better match, which is why I bought them.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
The difference in stiffness isn't the problem. The difference in height is what causes premature wear on the dampers. Also, it allows the car to bottom out more easily, which is bad for the suspension and the handling.

With the H&R Race springs I suggested, using stock dampers is simply not an option.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think that's a myth. Why would the difference in height matter? Think about what is inside a shock/strut. It's a valve inside a tube of gas pressurized oil. It works the same operating in a slightly different range. In fact, the Eibach dampers had the same dimensions as the stock SVT dampers. The body, shaft, etc. were all the same.

The reason dampers wear out when used with lowering springs is because of the increased spring rate. In short, the increased spring rate causes bouncing (under-damped system), which means more suspension motion, e.g. more wear. I could get into 2nd order differential equations and the relationship between complex pole locations and the system damping ratio, but I'll spare everyone the headache.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I think that's a myth. Why would the difference in height matter? Think about what is inside a shock/strut. It's a valve inside a tube of gas pressurized oil. It works the same operating in a slightly different range. In fact, the Eibach dampers had the same dimensions as the stock SVT dampers. The body, shaft, etc. were all the same.

The reason dampers wear out when used with lowering springs is because of the increased spring rate. In short, the increased spring rate causes bouncing (under-damped system), which means more suspension motion, e.g. more wear. I could get into 2nd order differential equations and the relationship between complex pole locations and the system damping ratio, but I'll spare everyone the headache.
No headache needed. The stiffer springs will produce a piston velocity much higher than what the OEM dampers are designed to handle. That's why they will wear out prematurely.

·
Registered
104 Posts
How does it perform compared to the SVT set up though, the Prokit springs and dampers I mean. Same great balance but less body roll? More understeer/oversteer? Or is it like driving a compeltely different car?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
The Eibach Pro-kit understeers more than the SVT setup, and the ride is a little harsher. However, it does seem to control body roll and squat/dive a little better. Overall, I prefer the SVT kit for pure performance, and the Eibach for looks. However, the Pro-kit may perform better in a higher-speed (i.e., open track) setting than for street driving and autocross.

·
Registered
411 Posts
From my experience at a track with both setups, both are equally balanced. The Pro-kit, as expected, reduces body roll slightly.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Man - the Electrical Engineer coming up with some hardcore Mechanics. I love it!

Eh, I guess it's all just Physics.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
If I was you, I would really look at the Dynamic Suspension Kit you can get from FRPP (M-3000-ZXM). These Inverted Struts is the way to go now. You already see it being used on street cars like the Subaru WRX, ARC Neon and the Mitsubishi Evo cars. This is a great suspension kit and it is only about $200.00 more then an SVT kit from FRPP. Ford Racing says it will out handle the SVT kit, and now that I have it on my car, I believe them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If I was you, I would really look at the Dynamic Suspension Kit you can get from FRPP (M-3000-ZXM). These Inverted Struts is the way to go now. You already see it being used on street cars like the Subaru WRX, ARC Neon and the Mitsubishi Evo cars. This is a great suspension kit and it is only about $200.00 more then an SVT kit from FRPP. Ford Racing says it will out handle the SVT kit, and now that I have it on my car, I believe them.
I can't seem to find these. Could you provide a link or more info? Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts