Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Originally posted by belacyrf:
I have it, and I can say the only real benefit besides the "ooooohh ahhhhhh" of a 6 speed, is the gas savings in 6th gear.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Did you know the MTX-75 has a taller 5th than the SVT 6th!

I don't know if they could have done a worse job picking the gear ratios for that poor thing.

But to answer the overall question... since the block and the crank are the same, it can be done... you just need the SVT clutch/flywheel/PP to go with it. That stuff is easy work once the transaxle is off. The shifter cable setup may be different as well, so you'd need the SVT shifter assembly.

Bela makes the best point though... There really isn't a reason to do it except for the "6th gear" cool factor. The MTX75 has a cheaper LSD available, and the 4.06 gears. A wonderful combo for motorsports!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
you would need to fabricate a new bell housing...the getrag has different bolt locations...also running the shifter equip and yadayada...it can be done but for how much...

[ 11-05-2002, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: iamgod ]

·
Registered
61 Posts
different flywheels isnt it, svt has dual mass flywheel or something like that and the zx3 doesnt

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but why would you want it? I have it, and I can say the only real benefit besides the "ooooohh ahhhhhh" of a 6 speed, is the gas savings in 6th gear.

Other than that 1st and 2nd are to tall, and make the car feel a little sluggish, second, there are ZERO options to upgrade it at this time. With the MTX75, at least you can shorten the gears with the 4.06 gear swap, but nuttin for the Getrag... It just doesn't bring any benefits worth the change out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts