Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've gone with a larger turbo and the thermostat housing no longer fits in the car. We'd like to keep the thermostat because we live up north and from what I've heard the thermostat is responsible for heating the car up quicker? Does anyone know of a thermostat housing for the zebec that just goes straight out of the block (toward the riverside fender), instead of the stock foci one that makes a 90 deg bend (towards the front of the car)?

We have a thermostat bypass, its just a big aluminum tube that mounts to the thermostat hole but is this something that you'd run on a daily driver? Also how would you run the coolant lines to the oil cooler on the back of the block?

Joe

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
You could buy a Bostig unit and have it machined to accept a thermostat in the side... you'd have to fab up a connector for it, and I think you'll have to fab up a few curves to allow some of the available tubes to fit well enough.

·
I
13,288 Posts
Could you extend the OEM one farther away from the head? Get a piece of aluminum machined with both flanges and extend the housing out how every far you need it so the hose clears the compressor. Or, are there any in-line thermostat housings? You could delete that, bolt on a flange with hose barb to the head, and then split off your hoses with T fittings.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could buy a Bostig unit and have it machined to accept a thermostat in the side... you'd have to fab up a connector for it, and I think you'll have to fab up a few curves to allow some of the available tubes to fit well enough.
Thats is a possibility, the bostig thermostat housings are gorgeous but the price tag is scaring me off a bit to modify one, I'm not THAT confident in my machining skills haha i found them here: http://http://www.bostig.com/bostig-billet-thermostat-housing-for-zetec/

I was hoping that there would be a stockish version for another car equipped with a zetec? I will look around but someones gotta know

If i did have to go the fabrication route, I was brainstorming while falling asleep last night, I could make a 1.5"-2" extender plate, similar to a throttle body spacer out of a block of a block of aluminum and just keep the stock thermostat

Joe

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I've got one. It accepts the stock tstat and front outlet cover. Let me think how much I want for it. I'll try and find a pic too.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
We'd like to keep the thermostat because we live up north and from what I've heard the thermostat is responsible for heating the car up quicker?
You've turbocharged your car, but aren't 100% of the job that the thermostat accomplishes?

Somewhat alarming, but i'll let this play out.

- Drew

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
^That's nice (good ol' Top Speed)... did they recommend a hose that fits to the radiator as well?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
^That's nice (good ol' Top Speed)... did they recommend a hose that fits to the radiator as well?
Just a 90. I went to the parts store and picked out the longest one I could find to make sure I had enough.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You've turbocharged your car, but aren't 100% of the job that the thermostat accomplishes?

Somewhat alarming, but i'll let this play out.

- Drew
He also called it a daily driver... which doesn't seem to work out for a large number of turbo folks. If i was faced with this and the pricing to redesign all that cooling... I'd get a different turbo manifold that puts THAT out of the way.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
He also called it a daily driver... which doesn't seem to work out for a large number of turbo folks. If i was faced with this and the pricing to redesign all that cooling... I'd get a different turbo manifold that puts THAT out of the way.
I preferred how simple and clean all of my coolant lines were after the new tstat housing. Worth the money

1 - 18 of 18 Posts