Originally posted by twistedfocus:
So i'm thinking of getitng a 03 toyota celica.
Either that or a 03' focus with the 2.3L
Anyone here has any positive/negative views on the celica?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I hang around a lot on newcelica.org
because I've been considering one, although at this point I think I'll wait for a RWD car (maybe MR-S, Elise, or the next Celica or Supra?). If you want a great handling, lightweight 2 seater FWD car with 2 rear seats for short people or short trips with a good sized, albeit flat, 16.9 cubic feet of trunk, get it. Here are some of the advantages I see with the Celica over the Focus:
- lighter weight
- lower center of gravity
- better wheel selection (e.g., Volks)
- stock camber adjustment
- better handling
- CARB legal turbo kits. Dave Draper has made one for the GT and I believe others are on the way. Neither you or I are in CA but not having to worry about emissions testing for your turbo is nice.
- Much, much, much lower rate of depreciation.
The main advantages I see with the Focus 2.3L
- Lower initial cost.
- Passenger and cargo room.
- Better engine potential. This is dependent a bit on speculation. Out of the box power is probably about equal and the Celica aftermarket has had much more time with the 1zz than we've had with this version of the 2.3L.
The Celica is supposed to be redesigned for model year 2005 so if you can wait, it should be worth it. If I were in the market for a good daily driver with more trunk space than a MR-S, I'd go with the Celica. It is nowhere near the worst bang for the buck unless all you care about is out of the box horsepower.
[Edit: tailored to GT-only.]
[ 05-14-2003, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: proxemac ]