Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but would it be possible to drop motorcylce engines into a car...2-4 of em??? i know anything can be done for money...but im just curious about this...and what kind of potential is there...it seems to me the motorcycle engines kick butt...soooo...maybe dropping 4 of em into a foci and removing the stock would scream???..i dont care where this post goes to...i just wanna know the logistics of this undertaking and maybe how well any of you car gods think it "COULD" work

·
Registered
668 Posts
Fact:

motorcycle engines kick but cuzz they are strapped to a bike that weighs 200 lbs. The power to weigh ratio isnt there like it is on a full size car.

If you had a few bike engines they would be just as bogged down with weigh as car motors.

Opinion:

Also bike engines can be highly tuned from the factory without worry of warranty work because they have less load put on thgem, less load = less things breaking.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Originally posted by oZZ:
I've seen some dumb posts here, but holy ****
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ummm... Could you imagine having too small 1L engines in the front of the Focus. That would be 140 hp per wheel! For a grand total of.... 280 hp.

Now, be really creative and rig one at each wheel. 560hp!!!! It's probably not feasable but it's not worthy of being verbally raped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
those engines can run at insane rpms (12k) and i can't imagine them having much torque.. plus how could you shift gears on 4 transmissions at a time, and 4 clutches. Plus each wheel would be spinning at exactally the same speed all the time, so you'd spin out all the time.. it's a terrible idea.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Actually if each engine was linked to a CVT type transmission... Snowmobile style... it could work just fine.

The on-power handling would be quirky as hell, so you'd want a pretty sophisticated pitch/roll/yaw/traction control system to make it so the average joe wouldn't kill himself with it.

Is it feasable? No way... Would it be cool? Sure!

oZZ: Open up a little and think outside the box... It won't hurt!

On the other hand, I think this is more of a Team Pit Stop type of post than a Zetec tuning!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Originally posted by oZZ:
those engines can run at insane rpms (12k) and i can't imagine them having much torque.. plus how could you shift gears on 4 transmissions at a time, and 4 clutches. Plus each wheel would be spinning at exactally the same speed all the time, so you'd spin out all the time.. it's a terrible idea.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well you would not have 4 trannies. Taking a cue from Suzuki's escudo pikes peak, the engines would have a common crank shaft that would run into the transmission. But like everyone says there's no real good point in doing this. You could more easily find and rebuld a used formula 1 six cylinder than try to put 4 2-strokes in a car.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Omni,

Wanna get REALLY crazy.
How about a nice 4 banger driving a hydrolic pump which was powering 4 hydrolic motors. Talk about torque!.

My fun swap would be a built Mazda 13B, maybe 20B,(turboed natch) in a rear drive Focus.

The 20B should be good for several hundred hp. easy. Would be a very light swap too!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I don't imagine this car would need four motorcycle engines. Just one ...

http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index2.htm

It isn't the best looking car, but this company does make other cars that look like Lotus Se7ens and use Hayabusa and Fireblade motors. Good stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
this is even more retarded than me seriously thinking it's possible to just move the front seats back, push back the firewall, dash, reforge the engine compartment and put in a dodge viper engine.. why don't you just build a car from scratch?

[ 11-04-2002, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: oZZ ]

·
Registered
838 Posts
my boys gsxr dynoed at just under 200whp and has 106 ftlbs

that seems like some decent power

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol...wow...this post was all in good humor...i didnt beleive it really to be possible..nor am i wanting to take on such an undertaking to do somehthing..lol..but i was thinking as spankenstien said...1 engine to each wheel...would be pretty trick...i just know the other day me and my friend we drunk and thinking bout cars...and this came up...i dont know all that much about cars...so i wanted to see if this type of thing could even happen...dont jump me
just having some fun...sheesh

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by det_riot:
my boys gsxr dynoed at just under 200whp and has 106 ftlbs

that seems like some decent power
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">where the hell did this come into play?

·
Registered
166 Posts
How about a ZX3 with an open hatch and an airboat engine with prop and all? lol

Anyone ever see monster garage?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Originally posted by SVTRacing009:
How about a ZX3 with an open hatch and an airboat engine with prop and all? lol

Anyone ever see monster garage?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I know we're all clowning around a bit but the Zetec can't handle the power levels.

Very few auto engines can stand up to aircraft use. You'd be asking the Zetec to produce at least 75% of it's max power full time.

The ONLY auto engine I trust is the Mazda 13b (or 20b) in an airplane. And yes, I've been flying behind one (13b) for 5 years.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm kinda thinkin'....40 hamsters, on treadmills (of course with a couple a big ass angry cats behind them on treadmills of their own providing the proper hamster motivation). Imagine that....40HP (HamsterPower), plus a couple extra in the TC (TomCat) arena.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hey, with enough money, you could do anything you want. But lets be realistic, most crotch-rockets make some sick HP (when the weight to power ratio is taken into consideration), but overall appliable torque is low. Maybe consider using a couple of Harley 80Ci (1340cc) Evos...hell of a motor with torque. They take VW motors and build trykes, why not the reverse..?..

[ 11-05-2002, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: poSSumX ]

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
They take VW motors and build trykes, why not the reverse..?..

Make a three wheeler out of a VW engine?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts