Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't know. The thing about the rings makes a little sense but I think it would be just as easy to generate a valid argument the other way. The the thing about non-synthetic oil after 1500 miles... I don't know. Maybe I'm old fashioned. I think this guy is trying to sell his magazines... I doubt it makes that uch of a difference. If pistons really wore away like that, engines would just be made differently.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
I'm inclined to disagree, but I don't have enough of a sample size to prove anything. I babied my old Zetec for the first 1000, and it drove wonderfully afterwards. Smooth and powerful.

But then again, thats just a perception. It never made it to a dyno.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
I don't know about you guys but I've always heard of it done like that so the rings break in properly. By word of mouth, in haynes manuals and even the factory manual for my old 74' bug said to do it that way. I dunno.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
If you compare new car manuals from today to five years ago, you will see many changes.

Mitsubishi says the EVO only needs 600 miles to break in. 200 miles for the tires, 300 miles for the brakes, and 600 miles for the engine, however they just say don't go over 5K rpm (mind you, full torque and full boost are at 3.5K rpm). And still the first oil change is suggested at 5K miles.

Subaru says the STi only needs 1000 miles to break in. They just say don't go over 4K rpm.

If you take that web page's suggestions, I would strongly suggest you get an oil change quickly, running the engine like that there are bound to be things floating in the oil.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found this On Sport Compact Cars web site on their Focus Zetec Build up:

Before wrenching on it or even driving it hard, our Focus was treated to a 53-mile factory test drive (a card in the car informed us that ours was one of a handful randomly selected each day for a thorough quality-control inspection) and a 2,200- mile road trip. This relatively gentle break in apparently prepared it for our abuse. We have dyno tested quite a few stock Foci and found power output to be highly variable. Anything from 101 hp to 111 hp is fairly normal.Anything from 101 hp to 111 hp is fairly normal. Ours made an unusually strong 115 hp. Moral of the story? Be nice to your Focus when it's new.

There is probably more to the wide baseline variance than just break-in habits, though. As we soon learned, there are some pretty loose cam timing tolerances designed into the Zetec engine and this engine is incredibly sensitive to cam timing.

Here is the link if you want to read the whole article: http://sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0105scc_projfocus/

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

Before wrenching on it or even driving it hard, our Focus was treated to a 53-mile factory test drive (a card in the car informed us that ours was one of a handful randomly selected each day for a thorough quality-control inspection) and a 2,200- mile road trip. This relatively gentle break in apparently prepared it for our abuse. We have dyno tested quite a few stock Foci and found power output to be highly variable. Anything from 101 hp to 111 hp is fairly normal.Anything from 101 hp to 111 hp is fairly normal. Ours made an unusually strong 115 hp. Moral of the story? Be nice to your Focus when it's new.

There is probably more to the wide baseline variance than just break-in habits, though. As we soon learned, there are some pretty loose cam timing tolerances designed into the Zetec engine and this engine is incredibly sensitive to cam timing.

Here is the link if you want to read the whole article: http://sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0105scc_projfocus/
I thought diffrences in power among early Foci was because of variances in timing, as they came from the Factory?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts

I thought diffrences in power among early Foci was because of variances in timing, as they came from the Factory?
it says that in his post too

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
it says that in his post too
I guess it pays to respond to posts after one's morning Dr Pepper, instead of before.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
My personal jury is still out on this subject.

But I do know this: I have one of the highest dynoing stock Zetecs out there.. and it was broken in by a 16 year old kid for the first 5445 miles. I don't know of many 16 year old kids that are easy on cars.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
it is......aaaand I broke my car in HARD, just like that site suggests, and mine has always been a bit of a factory freak...

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
I'm not being overly kind to my PZEV and I dropped the first batch of oil at 247 miles. Seems like I took this article to heart the first time I read it.
Actually, I know of others who subscribe to this practice and have had good results as well.

Mind you, I'm not thrashing on the thing or subjecting it to constant abuse, but I am using all the rev band. I have been nice to the clutch and the brakes for the first 500 though. I figure I'll drop the oil again at 1500 miles - it doesn't cost that much. Then I'll let the next batch go for 3000 more miles and probably at that time I will replace with synthetic.

I'll keep you posted...

>8^)
ER

·
Double-Wide Pride!!!
884 Posts
Where I work, I see the people who unload and load the autoveyers (the railcars that move the auto's) and from what I've seen, you apperantly don't need to bother with a hard driving break in period. The folks who load and unload the cars do it for you! Kudos for the extra effort

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: This Thread Will Soon Become Very Contreversia

I dont know if it matters but anybody else notice he was talking about snowmobile and motorcycle engines!

·
Double-Wide Pride!!!
884 Posts
Re: This Thread Will Soon Become Very Contreversia

Boy, do I feel stupid. I didn't even click on the link. As a matter of fact I only wanted to share some more useless info that I had in my brain. Well it just goes to show you, old people don't know everything.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Where I work, I see the people who unload and load the autoveyers (the railcars that move the auto's) and from what I've seen, you apperantly don't need to bother with a hard driving break in period. The folks who load and unload the cars do it for you! Kudos for the extra effort
The same happens to those of us whos cars come off a boat. Those guys don't get paid to drive like grandmas, they get paid to unload the cargo as quickly as possible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts