Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats right o2 cheaters. Useless if you asked me, but I guess some people need the peace of mind of not having a cel on their car

·
Registered
417 Posts
how are they useless?? if you allow your CEL to stay on all the time, how are you going to know if you have another problem or not? by using a CEL, you at least shut off the light from one source that you know there is no problem with. but not using one and just leaving the light on all the time isnt a very good idea...

·
Registered
563 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pimp27:
Exactly.. Let me give you a little story..

I put the O2 cheater in place and like a couple weeks later the check engine light came on. So I was like damn, I spent $35 and the light still comes on. Well during the warm up of the car it would hesitate and shake back and fourth until it was fully warmed up. I didn't think it was normal, but it seemed allright because it only did it for a little streatch of the road. I eventually went to the ford dealership to get my headlight fixed and I told them what it was doing. I also told them that the check engine light was from the O2 sensor. But I said they should check it out anyway. So they did, they called me back and said it was just the 02 sensor. She said she couldn't fix it because I modified the exhaust. I was like, ok, I told you that that light would come on. That still didn't solve my spuddering. So we got in an arguement and I went down there and talked to the manager and he had me talk to the tech. It ended up being the FIRST 02 sensor. I had extended it to make it reach the bung in the header. There was no light for the 2nd one with the o2 cheater in place. He said that I couldn't actually extend the sensor wire, I would have to extend the actualy harness that it hooks into. The wire is very sensative.

So thats my story, and after I read it I don't see how it fits in, but the O2 cheater is worth it because it showed that I had other problems with the car.

Eric
<hr></blockquote>

Ill have to disagree with you. Let me tell you why...

I have the same problem you descibe with the warm up issue and I DID NOT lengthen the 1st O2 sensor wire. This was after installing the FC header and a Steeda fuel rail.

Making the wire longer or shorter will NOT give any mis-readings. The electricity running through the wire doesnt care. (you would have to lengthen it a long ways for the resistance to change enough to matter). Now , possibly if you didnt splice/solder the connection well, that might be a different story.

my .02

·
Registered
362 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
hey man, I POST the 'part of the week' thread man...get another job j/k

-Ult
<hr></blockquote>

My God what did I start??
All because I posted one thread with an observation that there seemed to be a hot part each week. Its ok...I'll let y'all carry this one on

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To me its useless because it didnt work at all. CEL came on right away. I may get it scanned just to prove it is the o2 sensor if I have time. My car has no problems and havent had any loss of power so I am almost positive it is the o2 cheater. Run the CEL til it dies I say, its just a focus, I may sell it anyways. I want something actually worth the payment.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Ultegra, didnt mean to take your job away! lol!

·
Registered
601 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Ill have to disagree with you. Let me tell you why...

I have the same problem you descibe with the warm up issue and I DID NOT lengthen the 1st O2 sensor wire. This was after installing the FC header and a Steeda fuel rail.

Making the wire longer or shorter will NOT give any mis-readings. The electricity running through the wire doesnt care. (you would have to lengthen it a long ways for the resistance to change enough to matter). Now , possibly if you didnt splice/solder the connection well, that might be a different story.

my .02

<hr></blockquote>

Umm... Thats what I thought.. I even told the ech that (I learned it in physics). But he then told me that in 2000 and up all the 1st o2 sensor actually has something other than just a current running through it. Odd I know. I forgot exactly what he said, but with the extension in place it ran like crap. I got a new sensor and it runs fine.

Eric

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
who thinks this thing is useless?

doesn't the o2 sensor help figure out what a/f ratio you need to keep running at a good ratio? if the light is on, that means you are most likely going to be running a bit lean.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I don't know the EEC-V code off the top of my head, but many ECUs enter a limp home mode, or will change OTHER engine parameters to compensate for a failed sensor. If this is the case, the difference between a code and a no code could mean quite a bit of horsepower or drivability improvements.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, the reading for the fuel mixture is from the first o2 sensor. I have talked to a guy who knows his ****, not some guy who surfs message boards, but a guy who deals with this everyday. The second o2 sensor checks for the cat, end of story.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I agree with speedkills. On my other hotrod with an H pipe, the MIL eliminators kept the light off for the O2 sensors but allowed the system to operate so the light came on whenever something else went bad.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Not necessarly the Focus, but some cars don't run at peak performance with the CEL on.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Exactly.. Let me give you a little story..

I put the O2 cheater in place and like a couple weeks later the check engine light came on. So I was like damn, I spent $35 and the light still comes on. Well during the warm up of the car it would hesitate and shake back and fourth until it was fully warmed up. I didn't think it was normal, but it seemed allright because it only did it for a little streatch of the road. I eventually went to the ford dealership to get my headlight fixed and I told them what it was doing. I also told them that the check engine light was from the O2 sensor. But I said they should check it out anyway. So they did, they called me back and said it was just the 02 sensor. She said she couldn't fix it because I modified the exhaust. I was like, ok, I told you that that light would come on. That still didn't solve my spuddering. So we got in an arguement and I went down there and talked to the manager and he had me talk to the tech. It ended up being the FIRST 02 sensor. I had extended it to make it reach the bung in the header. There was no light for the 2nd one with the o2 cheater in place. He said that I couldn't actually extend the sensor wire, I would have to extend the actualy harness that it hooks into. The wire is very sensative.

So thats my story, and after I read it I don't see how it fits in, but the O2 cheater is worth it because it showed that I had other problems with the car.

Eric

·
Registered
563 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pimp27:

I got a new sensor and it runs fine.

Eric
<hr></blockquote>

So it was the O2 sensor....?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Is there a web-site somewhere that has the schematic on how to make your O2 cheater? I'm sure it’s just a simple little circuit, maybe a RC circuit, that can be made with some RadioShack parts for $2.

·
Registered
174 Posts
To all those who have installed an O2 cheater: Is it easy to install one after having the header installed or should they be done at the same time?

The reason is that my header should arrive tomorrow, but I havent even ordered the O2 cheater yet so I wanted to go ahead and install the header then wait till spring for a chip or O2 cheater.

Thanks in advance

[email protected]

·
Registered
631 Posts
Originally posted by ENZI:
Is there a web-site somewhere that has the schematic on how to make your O2 cheater? I'm sure it’s just a simple little circuit, maybe a RC circuit, that can be made with some RadioShack parts for $2.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bump

·
Registered
490 Posts
i think someone got shotdown (Boosted)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
there a waste..didnt work..have had cel on for 20k now...makin 151whp no chip, no headwork...dont need it..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts