Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 piece kit installed
I installed my three piece pulley kit today. It took me a total of 3 hours to complete. Over half that time was spent on the darn alternator pulley. It DEFINEITLY wasn't easy.
There was hardly any space between the alternator pulley and the right strut tower. I was able to get a socket and ratchet on it but, all it would do is spin with out any way of stopping it. You MUST do this with an IMPACT GUN or you'll be wasting your time. I had to reposition both the brake and antifreeze reservoirs. Afterwards, I removed the (2) 10mm alternator bracket bolts. I used a pry bar to carefully raise the alternator out of the bracket. Once it was out of the bracket I was able to rotate the alternator into a position in which I could get a 24mm socket, 1/2"x6" extention and the impact gun on it. The alternator did not need completely removed, only moved into a better postion for the impact gun. The water pump pulley is held on (3)10 mm stubby boltsthat were removed with a wrench from underneath the car.
The new water pump pulley is considerably larger than the stock pulley to compensate for the smaller crank pulley. The crank pulley is best removed with an impact gun once the right front tire and lower pulley gaurd are removed. Once the old crank pulley was removed, I had to grind down the plactic trim piece behind it from the 12:00 to 2:00 and 4:00 to 6:00 positions to prevent the belt from chaffing/rubbing it. I did this by removing the trim from the car by pulling out the (2) 8mm bolts and used a bench grinder.
The pulley kit came with some pretty lame instructions. I learned more on my own than from what I read.
The test drive was fun. I could feel the difference right away. Much more get up and go when I whipped the ponys. According to my "Butt Dyno" I'd say 6 to 8 hp at the wheels. Well worth the money and time spent.

Let me know if you have any questions about the install. I'd glad to help you out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a AEM alt. pulley but I just bought a new 3 piece pulley set. I have access to impact guns, so it shouldnt be to hard. Thanx for the instructions on the water pump and the crank pulleys.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the same set, however I can't for the life of me get the alternator pulley out. Just as you said it spins around - even w/ a buddy putting his foot on the brakes, even w/ an impact gun, it still spins.

Michigan winters... I'm pretty sure the damn bolt is rusted on. The only other suggestion I've gotten is spray it with some anti-rust oil type stuff and let it sit for a day, and then give it another go.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel your pain ZX3PUNK. My right hand is sliced up and bruised struggling with that damn alternator pulley and my car is only a month old from the factory.
Try some Break-Free or WD-40 and soak it for an hour. Once you pulled the alternator bolts and position it to get an impact gun on it, have your buddy hold the old pulley with a set of good channel locks. Try short quick bursts with the gun on a high setting. I was lucky mine came right off with an impact gun with out holding the pulley. Soak it and gun it hard.
Let me know how it goes. Good Luck

·
Registered
402 Posts
I pulled the alternator all the way out. there is a spot on the alternator where you can place a punch down in side for a brake. once that is in place the nut comes off with some force but its easier to work with. The fam has a buiss in auto electric. lots of rebuilds.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
you're actually supposed to take the alternator out to properly install the pulley. that's one of the reasons many people only use the crank and water pullies from that kit. the stock alternator pulley is the same size as the FC one, just a little heavier.

Nate

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to the installation instructions that came with my Focus Central 3 Piece Pulley Set: The alternator DOES NOT need to be fully removed. The 2 10mm mount bolts should be removed and the alternator repositioned in the engine compartment so you can get the impact gun on it. This will save to a whole lot of time once you see how difficult it will be to completely remove it. Only pull it out if absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had problems with the 3 peice pulley system when it comes to warranty, or other damage that was inquired through the use of the pulleys. I am very interested in getting this but i am only 17 and i don't really know much about installing these things. If i were to get it professionally done could you give me an estimate on the cost. Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Originally posted by zx3punk:
I have the same set, however I can't for the life of me get the alternator pulley out. Just as you said it spins around - even w/ a buddy putting his foot on the brakes, even w/ an impact gun, it still spins.

Michigan winters... I'm pretty sure the damn bolt is rusted on. The only other suggestion I've gotten is spray it with some anti-rust oil type stuff and let it sit for a day, and then give it another go.

Any suggestions?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Okay I'm an idiot. It's the crank pulley I can't get out...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The crank pulley is a breeze compared to the other two pulleys. Here's what you need to do:
1. Jack the right front of your car.
2. Remove the right front tire.
3. Remove the lower pulley guard (it's black with two 10mm bolts attaching it.
4. Remove the belt by using a 15mm wrench on the belt tensioner. Pull the belt out of the way of the crank pulley. It doesn't have to be completely removed from the motor.
5. From the right front wheel well place the correct socket on the crank pulley bolt with a 1/2"x6" extention and an impact gun.
6. Blast away. It will back right out if your guns torque is set high enough.
NOTE: Some others have be able to remove it with a buddy stepping on the brake while they use a socket and breaker bar. Even more foolish people have propped a breaker bar on the ground and used there their ignition/starter to break it loose on manual transmissions. The breaker bar and starter idea is not all that safe and I would not recommend it. Try some WD-40 if it froozen and let it soak for a while.
7. Once the old pulley is removed you need to modify the timing cover black trim piece dirrectly behind the crank pulley. Please look up at my very top post of this tread for tips on how to do that. If you don't do this your belt will rub and make a god awful noise and quite possibly break
8. Install the new smaller crank pulley with the same impact gun on a high setting or torque it to 85 ft lbs.
9. Everything else in the installation is the reverse order of removal.
Note: If you only replaced the crank pulley than it should have come with a smaller belt. Write that part number down for future use when your belt needs replaced. Three piece pulley owners are fortunate because their old belt will fit perfectly.
Hope this helps you out ZX3PUNK

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Be certain to let me know how it goes ZX3Punk

·
Registered
809 Posts
what size bolt is the crank pulley?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts