Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for this but couldn't find anything...anyway. I am thinking about replacing my throttle body with the aluminum one, Focus Central TB probably. Can I expect much gain from it with my current setup? I have an cat-back exhaust, and a cone filter. Would it be better to do the TB w/ the cone filter combo, or an AEM cold air intake, because it would cost about the same.
Thanks.

·
Registered
641 Posts
My advice, work your way from front to back. Start with the cold air intake, this way when you eventually add the TB you will get maximum gain. Then finish your exhuast out with a header and flex pipe. If you go with a shorty header, you will need a hi flo cat or a cat by-pass pipe to keep from bottle necking your exhuast. Since you started with catback, work your way up the stream, flex is next. I know this is more than you asked, but I think its helpful. You will feel superb throttle response from the TB so its tempting to get first. My 2 cents.

Jamie

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Out of all the mods out there this is the one you can really feel.. "Instant Gratification" I had a bored TB and compared to the FC TB it=poop..The response is awsome and well worth the money..

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
i beg 2 differ on ya again vince. i had 1 4 a wk, returned it, additional (or different) throttle response 4 240 isnt good enuff in my book. maybe later w/more mods it'll work out, but u have 2 way past bolt-ons. also have 2 make sure that the FC TB is openin all the way. mine wouldnt w/o outside help (hand)...believe mine wasnt made properly b/c tightenin up the cable or cuttin off that little notch behind gas pedal wouldnt help b/c the motion the throttle pin needed 2 make was now goin downward, not horizontal like the throttle cable pulls..

my .02

-Ult

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
i beg 2 differ on ya again vince. i had 1 4 a wk, returned it, additional (or different) throttle response 4 240 isnt good enuff in my book. maybe later w/more mods it'll work out, but u have 2 way past bolt-ons. also have 2 make sure that the FC TB is openin all the way. mine wouldnt w/o outside help (hand)...believe mine wasnt made properly b/c tightenin up the cable or cuttin off that little notch behind gas pedal wouldnt help b/c the motion the throttle pin needed 2 make was now goin downward, not horizontal like the throttle cable pulls..

my .02

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yea it all depends..I mean I have cams and many other bolt ons..so that helps
and I guess Im a litte more happy cause I didnt pay anywhere near $240 for it...

·
Registered
250 Posts
but when you start dealing with the mods i have, a tb is very important. hence why it's next on my list

·
Registered
228 Posts
Somebody please explain to me how one can expect much of a power gain with a larger throttle body if the mass air pipe is the most restrictive part of the intake? i don't see the value in getting a larger TB if you don't replace the MAF too. if ur looking for better throttle response just bore the stock one.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Originally posted by ferrethouse:
i don't see the value in getting a larger TB if you don't replace the MAF too. if ur looking for better throttle response just bore the stock one.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think this is one of those mods that,if you haven't driven a car with one installed you will not understand.
I installed mine with only a Iceman intake and under drive pully installed.I loved what it did to my car.
Now I have a chip and intake cam installed and the TB is still my favorite mod.
It doesn't add much HP but it shure does add a lot of fun.
I'll take driving fun over HP gains any day.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i had a BORED OUT TB custom from a member of TEAM NEWENGLAND i loved it for the 1/2 mile i gota drive with it on!! JUST DO IT YOURSELF OR FIND SOMEONE to MAKE it for you!!.. worked so well!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
What meddle said is exactually how I feel. I installed mine a week ago and I could never go back to stock. I really do notice my car pulling harder, in low rpms and high.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'd wait on the TB until you really need more airflow and it's truly a bottleneck. I think that the stock throttle body outflows the stock intake manifold anyway. If anything bore out the stock one for better (more linear) feel and be happy.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
car doesnt pull harder, its the throttle response itself...its placebo.

FCTB-15.16 @ 89.1
Ported TB-15.16 @ 88.9

4 240bux....sorry, car needs a lot more mods and the TB itself needs revising (as if it doesnt have enuff of that already) b4 its worth it.

-Ult

·
Registered
476 Posts
it may not make the car faster UltegraSTI but the fact is that it makes a boring to drive focus fun to drive, and that maybe the point of the TB, I know I will never go back to the factory TB becuase it just would not let the car open up like it does now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts