Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a 1/2 inch throttle body spacer and installed it on my car. The car reacts differently from 2k to 3.5k. More torque. As for runner length on our stock cars. the rummer length is just fine the problem is the restricted runner size. they dont have good flow dynamics. DID any one read the manifold comparison In the HCI magazine? They made a manifold with the same runner lengths as a bone stock 2001, but increased the tube size. With increasing the tube volume they gained 14hp near redline compaired to a stock mani. that same manifold under boost it gained 35hp compaired to a stock 2001 under boost.
so they concluded that our motors like the long runners, they just need more volume. this info is in the DECEMBER 2002 issue. good stuff.
im goin to try a 1 inch spacer tonight.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so far no catch. i just put the 1 inch spacer on. sound is different. still torquey. i made the spacers out of tooling plastic. just basic nylon blocks. we use it in machine shops for certain jobs. i rung out my car pretty good. and I didnt feal any short falls at all. the engine fealse like it has more torque through out the Band. i would like some one to dyno their car with a 1/2 inch spacer and then with a 1inch spacer. to see what the differ is.

·
Registered
125 Posts
SEL-20015 Throttle Body Spacer, Power Tower, Ford Focus 2.0L DOHC ZETEC 2000-01 $89.95

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can buy one at Summit for $99.95. Part # MVC-5228 for 2001-02 ZETEC. Made by Motorvation.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Does anyone have any dyno numbers on this thing. I can't get it through my head that you can get 10 or more HP for 89.95 and also what's stopping it at 1 inch and not 1.5 or 2? Does anyone know what the theory on how this creates power? I'll jump on it if someone proves it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The runner length should help at a certain rpm as far as I know. So changing it should gain at one end and loose at other end. But small modifications could be helping.

It's like boring out TB. Getting a bigger TB is some story, boring out the stock another. The latter is more like a "fix" than a modification. So it might be the same with a small spacer (that can also be considered a "fix" - will try it tomorrow) but a real long one will most probably loose at some rpm...

·
Registered
364 Posts
what is going on with this?? I would also like to know how putting a spacer in equals more power???

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would like to see numbers. if any one is going in for a dyno and would like to try these Spacers. ill make some more and send them to you. i want to know if the theory actually works. never know i might be getting the placebo affect.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Originally posted by mattndew676:
I would like to see numbers. if any one is going in for a dyno and would like to try these Spacers. ill make some more and send them to you. i want to know if the theory actually works. never know i might be getting the placebo affect.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Check your PM, my friend...

·
Registered
227 Posts
There have been repeated mentions of the spacers (00-01 and 01-02 versions) available from Summit Racing but has anyone actually bought one? I did a search on "power tower" (the name on the sel-20015 summit part) and ford focus on google and came up with this page. Notice the spiral-increases-atomization similarities to the Tornado intake product. Still, if you guys get dyno results then they'll speak for themselves and overrule the sketchy advertising.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
remember the old-school kick ass plymouth superbirds??? some of the most disgustingly fast cars EVER. They used 1 3/4 and 2 1/4 spacers underneath their carbs. Using these alone increased top speed incredibly...allowing speeds above 200 mph. This is why today nascar limits the height of these. They do work on non TBI applications, and quite well. The SCIENCE is solid, i'm just curious how the foci respond to these

·
Registered
227 Posts
Originally posted by mattndew676:
Yeah the spiral deal is a load of turds. the air has to enter four different runners so how the heck does it create a vortec action in each runn. It doesnt. but the basic concept is what im after. wether or not the plain spacer with no grooves works. those grooves should just create turbulence. Its a hook. good to sell to ideots. Like the Tornado. Got to love em for making cash though. imagine how many people actually use those things. lol.. There is an ass for every seat.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, that was my point. If it wasn't for you saying the spacing does actually help, I'd completely ignore that spacer product because it sounds like it's a similar scam to the Tornado. As it is, I want to wait see what the dynos look like for your 1/2 inch and 1 inch spacers.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah the spiral deal is a load of turds. the air has to enter four different runners so how the heck does it create a vortec action in each runn. It doesnt. but the basic concept is what im after. wether or not the plain spacer with no grooves works. those grooves should just create turbulence. Its a hook. good to sell to ideots. Like the Tornado. Got to love em for making cash though. imagine how many people actually use those things. lol.. There is an ass for every seat.

·
Registered
395 Posts
also what's stopping it at 1 inch and not 1.5 or 2?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Umm... The hood?

I don't know how much you can raise the throttle body, since my stock intake tube is making rub marks on the hood liner.

Since so many people are having problems with revs hanging, you might try making a spacer with a smaller idle air passage. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts