Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed in the past regarding the fuel pump issue, but mine seems a little different. When I give the car full throttle from a stop it just sits there and makes a wrum-wrum-wrum sound but no movement. Then if I let off the gas and push it back down partially the car goes fine. This is not a huge problem but it is if you try to merge into traffic and the car just sits there. Any ideas?? I've got a Volant Intake, Iridium plugs, Ford racing plug wires, and a FC throttle body. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
473 Posts
automatic right?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
teamfestiva-

I also have an auto, and mine did the same thing at every stop with the intake i had and now it's even worse with the head package that i've got! i just got my cam gears so hopefully that will help?? don't really know the solution to are problem? hopefully some jetter out there can help us?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sure hope someone has a solution. To me it seems like either a fuel problem ar a problem with a sensor (MAFS?).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Try installing a true cold air intake not a shorty. It is the hot air usually causing the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I should ditch the Volant?? I see alot of people here using the Volant with no problems. Do you guys really think that's the problem??

·
Registered
239 Posts
hehe I had the almost the same problem and I tried everything including the Fuel pump Filter!!!Turns out it was the Iridium Plugs!!!I played with the gap forever and finally just set them Higher than I normally would and It fixed the Problem Immediatly!!!!Those plugs made my car run like crap until they are set right so Just play with them and I promise it will help!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the problem before and after I put the Iridium plugs in. Where do you have yours gapped at?? Mine are at .050 now. Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ive got the same problem so far I found out that It is a problem with the mas reading either too much air or too warm of air, I never heard of the spark glug solution but ill try it, maybee even the screamin demon ignition will fix it...??

·
Registered
398 Posts
What about the mafs of a mustangs cobra aren't they the same plug and setup? just a tad biger???
and better?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I went Higher then .50 with my gap because the plugs seem smaller !!I dont remember my last attempt at gapping them but I do remember that it was About 2 the size as the .50 you can give it a shot!!!If it misfires lower it a little bit!just play with it and you will feel a difference!!it won't hurt!!!It took me two weeks of gapping about 3-4 times a day to get the perfect setting!!but like I said it now runs smoother that ever!!!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
i thought i remember something about a timing retardation on throttle tip-in. chip is supposed to get rid of it. maybe worse on an automatic. i have the same thing (i think) but i always just wrote it off as "thats my automatic ****ing it up"

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Team fastiva - If you are giving your car full throttle and it just sits there something is absolutely screwed up. No, a ProM MAF is not going to fix this.

Your description of the problem is way too vague. When you give it full throttle and it goes "wrum wrum" does RPM go up and the car not move, or does it stay around idle RPM? If RPM stays low does the engine act/sound like it has a load on it, or just like it is in neutral but the revs won't rise?

Without a better description it is anybody's guess, but it could be something as simple as low on tranny fluid.

BTW, I think is a team tech issue?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Reset the ECU and see if that helps the reading at all...

·
Registered
164 Posts
My car did this same thing with an aem shorty intake, reset ecu a week later ploblem did not go away. So I reinstalled the oem intake reset the ecu and aweek later no problems at all. Now I wondered if the hot air was the cause, so I reinstallede the aem shorty intake and also an a/f meter. When sitting at a full stop go to WOT the meter went lean and stayed there while the engine made surgeses ranging from 1000-2200 rpms, only after few feet maybe 10 or so the engine would kind of start to pick up speed all while the this a/f meter is all the way over on the lean side. I had to let up did not want anything to happen. My guess is that the air is hot going into the intake that maybe the ecu cannot adjust to it.
just my .02 in this thought

1 - 20 of 43 Posts