Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
\"THUNK...THUNK...THUNK...\" when I turn the steering wheel

Ok, so today all the sudden this started happening. It seems to only happen if the wheels turn so far in one direction or the other, because it doesn't happen when I am steering above 30 mph or so...

When I turn my steering wheel, like every quarter turn or so, I'll hear a thunking noise come up through the floor. I can feel it, too. Kinda sounds like someone smacking a drum.

Any ideas?

I thought every once in a while that when I go over bumps, I hear the noise there too, but I couldn't get it to do it once I tried to force it to happen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: \"THUNK...THUNK...THUNK...\" when I turn the steering wheel

did you solve this issue? i think we are in the same boat!

poosible cv joint?

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

did you solve this issue? i think we are in the same boat!

poosible cv joint?
I just saw your thread, it sounds very similar to my problem... well if it is only $120 per side, that won't be so bad. I will take it in to the shop next week and post the results, if you haven't taken yours already.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sounds like a bad front wheel bearing.
it is coming from like right under the middle of the car, not towards the side so i don't think it's the bearing.

·
Registered
838 Posts

Also check your stabilizer link/joint.

I had a slight noise coming from that aluminum part ($25.00) when the bushing failed. Dust and water contaminated the ball joint.

·
Registered
31 Posts

hm. not driving mine now, so let me know!!

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Coil spring. The correct answer is, "I broke the right coil spring." Dammit. My car needs $800 total in repairs to pass inspection.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts

The coil spring is covered under recall for most 2000 Foci. When I took my car in to get the battery cable replaced, it showed a widespread TSB that says something about a ton of 2000 model year foci recieving a 10 year unlimited mileage free replacement of front coil springs.

·
Registered
912 Posts

Yeah.. Soon as I opened this thread I thought coil springs.. One of mine snapped a few months ago, Ford replaced both front springs free of charge. Even if they didn't though, they were only ~ $25 each.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

The coil spring is covered under recall for most 2000 Foci. When I took my car in to get the battery cable replaced, it showed a widespread TSB that says something about a ton of 2000 model year foci recieving a 10 year unlimited mileage free replacement of front coil springs.
[censored], are you serious? I just had my mechanic order two new ones.

·
6,880 Posts

call a stealership and give the service writer your VIN, to be sure. They'll look it up in OASIS.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Wait, scratch that, I just looked at this and my vehicle was made in August of 2000. So I am screwed. Oh well.

I got all excited because even though it's only $25 per spring and like an hour labor on each, that's still like close to $200 which I could have saved.

Well thanks for the info heheh

·
6,880 Posts

yah I've got a february bloomer myself. With the nifty "good" intake manifold

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Oh snap, I just called my dealer and they ran my VIN in Oasis and as it turns out this will be covered under warranty. I called my mechanic and he said that's cool even though he kidna started to take it apart. He rocks.

even though I hate going to the dealer because they are shady

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Yeah thank you very much for posting that today. As opposed to, say, tonight. Because I literally called my mechanic just in the nick of time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts