Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just installed my fc shorty header, not impressed with the fitment thats for sure. Here's the deal, at idle I show no signs of exhaust leak, can't feel one or hear one, when I rev the engine or accelerate while driving i can hear a slight ticking noise, when the cruise is on or I am not accelerating there is no tick. Anybody got any suggestions? I thought it might just be the noise the cat makes now, and with the heat shied removed I can hear it??? I am getting a race header as soon as I have the extra dough...Peace

Lox

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Couple things I forgot to mention-you can't hear the tick inside the car, only with the window down, and my A/f gauge tends to lean toward the lean side of the meter..no pun inteded..Peace

Lox

·
Registered
745 Posts
i had the same issue when i put in my race header...i even took Norsull for a testdrive...he couldn't identify the issue either...but we did realize it wasn't an exhaust leak...we tested that theory...

·
Registered
114 Posts
if you do have a exhuast leak you will notice a black carbon build up around the area of the leak...so just keep an eye for that..

·
Registered
733 Posts
Most likley the mechanical stuff under the valve cover... hows that for technical jargon..

how about oil starvation under load??

[ 02-03-2003, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: RiTzBiTz ]

·
Registered
745 Posts
we assumed it was exhaust related due to the sound only occuring while under load...typically accelerating...however, we plugged the exhaust with a rag and rev'ed the engine...no sound...we put the e-brake on and spun the tires...nuthin...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have that same problem. It started when I installed a shorty header and it still does it even with a race header, bosal flex and my cat-back. If anyone has any more opinions, please help, because the sound is very annoying. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the egr is tight..but the tick wasn't there before the shorty so my math shorty = tick. Everything runs fine so I can't imagine it is a negative deal but I'm not sure. Anybody else with advice would be nice...Peace

Lox

·
Registered
19 Posts
ok dont bag on me cause im just throwing this out there to see if it could be.
first you said you can only hear it when you have your window down correct? well by any chance is your ac on? that could be the tick if you cant find any leak. you know your compressor could be making the noise. but if you ac is not running then forget what i said

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey dude- nobody would bag on you for saying that...suggestions are just that, you never know...Peace

Lox

·
Registered
14 Posts
ive got a ticking noise that i can only hear outside the car... found out it only happens when my fan is above the second notch for some reason...

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Originally posted by simpson943:
ive got a ticking noise that i can only hear outside the car... found out it only happens when my fan is above the second notch for some reason...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Leaf or pine needle in the blower motor or interior ducting is my bet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts