Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
you would need a whole new steering column that has tilt wheel. no idea on cost. ask focus salvage they could hook ya up

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
I thought all you had to do was loosen a bolt?
well no. There was a "tilt mod" years back on FJ where a couple of guys basically took out the bolt where it holds the steering wheel in place and just placed the bolt whereever the steering wheel felt 'right'..but it was still a stationary steering wheel

and no, this is a "dont bother" mod like PerfectSayain said...when i first bought my focus i wanted to do this, even went to great lengths and found a doner focus and all. Ford service man, who i was pretty close with (too bad he moved, only guy i knew who knew the focus well at Ford
)let me know that it would be an extensive install and a lot of re-wiring..

so i would either forget about it, trade-in ur focus for a focus with tilt, or do the 'ghetto bolt mod'

but if that steering wheel gets loose for any reason in an accident...it'll be on u then, and possibly really hurt u

-chris

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
i like the whole loosen a bolt deal can any one clear that up?
you can get one on ebay for like ? 30 bucks shipped
but i would have to use my steering wheel would that be a problem?
just from my point of view looking at ur post...i would steer clear of ebay for anything involving major parts and especially this mod

-chris

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
i like the whole loosen a bolt deal can any one clear that up?
you can get one on ebay for like ? 30 bucks shipped
but i would have to use my steering wheel would that be a problem?
just from my point of view looking at ur post...i would steer clear of ebay for anything involving major parts and especially this mod..ebay is great, but people want money... not make sure ur safe

-chris

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
thats true thanks guys for the input i ask the same question on FF and no one knew so
thanks again
[::Superhero voice::] "Never fear, [<font color="red">FJ</font>] is here!" [::Superhero voice::]

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Swapping the regular column for tilt is a piece of cake. I bought mine off of E-bay, the install to less than an hour and required no special tools. The column is almost a must do if your going with aftermarket seats.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
The column has 4 bolts. 2 front, 2 back. If you want it lower, insert some washers on the back bolts between the column and the frame. If you want it higher, insert them in the front bolts. Use as many will fit to give you were you want it.

Yes its been done a few times before.

·
[FJ] Special Ed.
8,294 Posts
The column has 4 bolts. 2 front, 2 back. If you want it lower, insert some washers on the back bolts between the column and the frame. If you want it higher, insert them in the front bolts. Use as many will fit to give you were you want it.

Yes its been done a few times before.

thats a cool idea, way to use the ol noodle.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Swapping the regular column for tilt is a piece of cake. I bought mine off of E-bay, the install to less than an hour and required no special tools. The column is almost a must do if your going with aftermarket seats.
really...hmmm

u should do a right up, because from my mechanic friend, said it was a HELLUVA of a job

so please, ellaborate...

-chris

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
From memory, I hope I didn't leave anything out
1. disconnect negative battery cable, **VERY IMPORTANT**
2. remove dash panel under column
3. remove column trim top and bottom
4. remove airbag, bolts behind steering wheel
5. remove bolt and disconnect the steering shaft
**do not let wheel rotate**
6. disconnect all electrical connections to column switches
7. remove bolt in center of steering wheel and remove wheel
8. loosen 2 bolts on bottom of column and remove column
9. remove ignition cylinder from column
10. remove all switches and Pats halo (around lock cyl.)
11. install following steps in reverse order.

Chris if you want to swap your column let me know, your not far away.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
u know, i am really thinking about this my man...how much did you buy yours for?

i have been dying for a tilt steering wheel ever since i bought my car, hate how i can have the right driving position i want without lookin ghetto lol

-chris

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I bought it on E-bay for like 50 bucks or so. There is a guy selling tilt columns regularly. The nice thing about the columns are they both tilt and telescopic. Let me know what you want to do.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts