Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coolant looks a little gross. How do I go about flushing the radiator??

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
If you just want to do a drain/refill:

The petcock (stop giggling) is located on the driver side bottom corner of the radiator. It is a natural colored nylon hex head, and the fluid drains from the side. It isn't a full drain, as some is retained in the block, but fairly close. Open the upper tank for easy drain, and of course refill.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much

·
Banned
190 Posts
just pull off the lower radiator hose, as long as you are careful it own't make too big of a mess and it is heck of a lot quicker, and you will get a lot of coolant out of the block that way. also pull the heater hoses from the firewall and that will get even more out. :)

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks a little dirty. My car only has 28,000 miles on it. When you flush out the system how do you get all of the coolant out of the block???

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
thefabzx3 said:
just pull off the lower radiator hose, as long as you are careful it own't make too big of a mess and it is heck of a lot quicker, and you will get a lot of coolant out of the block that way. also pull the heater hoses from the firewall and that will get even more out. :)

how would that get more coolant out of the block?

when you open the petcock, the fluid in the lower hose drains into the radiator and comes out the drain. Pulling the lower hose actually gets less fluid out because you leave some in the bottom of the radiator.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Terrible1 said:
It looks a little dirty. My car only has 28,000 miles on it. When you flush out the system how do you get all of the coolant out of the block???
open the block drain.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
you can also get a $5 backflush kit made by prestone.

i used it recently and is pretty slick. for our cars, the kit is really just one fitting. it is a garden hose inlet that replaces a coupling in the heater inlet hose. you drain the coolant, screw the check valve onto the end of the hose, attach to the hose adapter, and turn on the hose. after the system is filled with water, open the drain and start the engine. it will flush clean water through the entire system till all old coolant is gone. then you can just refill.

obvisouly all this in in the instructions. you leave the adapter in the hose, it has a cap you screw on. pretty slick if you ask me. prestone flush and fill kit link

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks that looks pretty easy

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts
i did mine today just unscrew the overflow cap on the tank then open the drain plug and let it flow for a while. Then you may want to run the hose into the overflow tank for a bit until its running perfectly clear out of the drain plug.

Tighten the drain plug fill it then start the car and let it run then top it off if need be.

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
i did mine today just unscrew the overflow cap on the tank then open the drain plug and let it flow for a while. Then you may want to run the hose into the overflow tank for a bit until its running perfectly clear out of the drain plug.

Tighten the drain plug fill it then start the car and let it run then top it off if need be.
Someone on another board mentioned a good point. If were to just let the water from a garden hose flow, wouldn't the cool temps of the water close the thermostat? At that point you'd have to let the T-Stat open again and circulate and then drain once again.

I was going to buy a few gallons of distilled water. Just drain the coolant through the drain plug, add distilled water, drain again, add distilled water, drain again...you get the point. It'll take a little while but that's okay.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
at somepoint the thermostat has to open, only when its open would the cool water circulate through and cool the engine down. so no, running cool water through the system won't prevent the tstat from opening. the water in the head and block will warm up, when it reaches operating temp, the tstat will open, in order to cool the engine, at which point the cool water in the system flushes it out. thats why you have to run the engine till it is at operating temperature when flushing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I flushed mine twice. The last time I used the new long-life Prestone. I didn't see or open the block drain.

I start with a cold engine. First, I open the petcock and drain the old coolant into a container for recycling. Then I run a garden hose into the expansion tank to until clear water comes out of the petcock. I close the petcock and fill the system with water. I start the engine (put heater on so it gets cleaned out) and allow it to warm up to normal operating temp. I open the petcock and let it drain (dilute coolant) and at the same time slowly add water to the expansion tank. A few times, I close the petcock to let the engine heat up and the thermostat open again. This takes a minute to two. When the drain water is clear, I shut the engine and let the hot water drain out. Then I close the petcock and add about 3 quarts of concentrated coolant to the expansion tank. I start the engine to get all the air out of the system, check for leaks and coolant strentgh. Fill with clean water (or distilled) once you add 1/2 of the capacity in concentrated coolant (about 3 quarts).

Using the block drain would be good as one could then use just distilled water and coolant when refilling the system. The distilled flush mentioned before would be good too. Removing the thermostat when flushing will save time too. My system is clean and the old coolant looks clean, so this method works well. Also the Focus cooling system seems to easily rid itslf of air bubbles.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
From the infamous noresull:

noresull said:
Drain coolant, remove Thermostat housing and thermostat, stick garden hose in engine side of thermo housing and turn on, watch water running out, keep doing this until water is clear, place hose in upper rad. hose, keep flushing until water runs clear. Replace hoses and thermostat. It's your choice if you want to replace it, I usually do because I'm there. Fill the cooling system. I will buy 2 gallons of coolant, dump one gallon of un-mixed coolant into reservoir, there is already aprox 1 gallon of plain, clean water in there from flushing, then take the 2nd gallon and mix 50/50 and use that to top off as neccesary.
That's exactly how I did it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
and where is all this fluid going? I mean I have an oil catch pan thing with sealable top, but that's maybe 5-6 quarts, tops. the radiator is in gallons? no. especially if running water thru it. I guess we try to capture the anitfreze, but let the water enema drain to the ground?

Also, for anyone who's doing this DIY at home, make note that pets, especially dogs, are extremely attracted to antifreeze, something in the smell. Yet its toxic to them (and us). so be careful to hose down or mop up any antifreeze.

curt j.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts