Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im running a turbo car but since it has to do with idle i dont think it really belongs in that forum... but i am currently running with a pectel setup so i can adjust the timing anywhere i want to and im not sure how to tell if you have too much timing at idle or not... will you actually get deto at idle if you run too much timing or will the car just run poorly... right now my car doesnt want to idle and im trying to eliminate the possible causes.. i already have a wideband hooked up to it so i know its not a matter of fuel which just leaves me with timing...

does anyone know a "rule of thumb" that i can use for tuning the timing of my car at idle???

i always appreciate the input

Drabert

·
Registered
990 Posts
I run stock timing at idle. If you wanted, it could be up two degrees or more advanced without problem. I know this because if you advance the global spark adder (N/A) it still idles fine and doesn't seem to knock. As far as tuning for F/I goes, I wouldn't change any parameters that affect driveability without being advantageous in some way. Keep it simple, ford knew how much timing to use at idle, why change it?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a pectel so ford isnt really involved in my tuning
i just wanted to know if there was a way to know if you had too much timing at idle or not... right now my car is running good and my timing at idle is like 26 degrees... i was told by others that it should be around 20 but my car runs like crap at 20... i just wanted to make sure i wasnt damaging anything by running more timing at idle

anyone else have any experience with this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts