Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I have tried to locate the threads on timing belt but I couldn't find an answer to my question. I know that this forum is on "Zetec TUNING" but I think the most appropriate section is this section. So excuse me if I am making a mistake. Thanks...
I have a question on the TIMING of a timing belt change on Zetec S motors. My car has a 1600 cc Zetec S (which you are probably unfamiliar). The owners manual states that the belt must be changed at 150k km's or 10 years whichever comes first. But there is a footnote stating that due to climate and environmental conditions like excessive heat/humidity these figures may vary. This footnote has probably something to do with the legal and liability issues.
My car has 80k km's on it and is 5 year old.
As the 16 valve Zetec S motor is not a non-interference type, the timing belt plays a vital role. What would you suggest?
Thanks...

·
Registered
424 Posts
you are right about the interference, belt breaks, possibly time for a new engine

now as far as climate goes we over here in new england have a krazy climate, snow, cold, heat, humidity, rain, etc. i have never seen a t-belt break before its service interval, ever!!!

my car personally has almost 54,000 mi. on the clock and is 5 years old and the belt looks fine, i'd check the shape of the belt before changing it ie, cracks, frayed edges, oil contamination, etc.

but if feel you want to change it then due so
my .02

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
ummm, not sure if you are confused, but a non-interference engine should not be destroyed by a timing belt failure. think about it, if its non-interference, the valves never occupy the same space as the piston, so theoretically the belt could snap and all you need to do is put a new belt on and check timing. this is probably why the belt change interval is so long. they shorten the interval if the condition of the belt is vital (like on hondas)

·
Registered
411 Posts
you are right about the interference, belt breaks, possibly time for a new engine
Belt break will not cost your engine, been there before and my engine is still going strong.

·
Registered
424 Posts
let me rephrase, on interference engines it is POSSIBLE to trash the engine when the belt breaks, like when it snaps on the highway doin 70!

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
16 valve engines (at least Zetec's) are by design interference engines. So the timing belt is very important.
I will check the belt visually at the next oil change.
I'm assuming you're European.... but most of us are North American, and our Zetec-Es are all non-interference as designed (notable exception:SVT).

So to say 16 valve engines by design are interference is not entirely accurate.

I honestly don't know about the 1600 or 1800 engines....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts