Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we (me and two buddies who work at a local garage) tried installing the exhaust cam gear on my svtf. Needless to say, the timing get messed up and we cant figure out how to get it started. DO u think i should return it to stock and take it back for warrany work or still try to work on it? thanks

glenn

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
how did u reference that u were at TDC on cyl. #1?

-Ult

[ 11-29-2002, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
aha, remembered, its not like the zx2 that has it on exh, svt is intake. hmmm, now whats up w/that cats motor.

-Ult

[ 11-29-2002, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the intake it varying not the exhaust so thats the one we replaced. now we think that we damaged the head by trying to start it too many times with the timing messed up. im so upset and lost

glenn

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
hmmm, dont say that just yet. u have 2 absolutely certain that ur cam is set 2 0,0 when ur no.1 cyl is at tdc, do not rely on a mark on the crank pulley, use a long screwdriver dropped down into cyl no.1 (plug out of course). have ur buddy rotate the engine w/a breaker bar or long ratchet on the crank pulley (might want 2 take out all the spark plugs 2 ease the work of turnin the motor over, and when that screwdriver goes its highest, then ur there, stop.

now, those cams on the other side should have keyways just like zx3 cams (havent seen em personally just hedgin my bets). make sure ur exh key is sittin similar 2 that of ur intake cam. if thru tryin 2 figure it out, u think that ur intake cam is off as well now, look 2 make sure that 1 or both of ur cams isnt set 4 exactly 1 revolution of the crank out of time. i wish i could have seen a svt cam b4 hand.

but dont worry, if u can make sure ur engine is at tdc on no.1, then thru reference u make sure that both ur cams r rightside up when at tdc on no.1. she should crank. the fact that u said it just wasnt able 2 start or run 4 more than a sec or 2 i gather speaks that the cams were not set 4 tdc on no.1. this happens alot when people use their udp marks as their way of findin tdc.

again dont worry bout it b'g damaged b/c its a non-interference engine, u wont nuke an engine simply 4 not have the cams set right. the probs u think that r permanent r more prolly b/c ur cylinders r filled w/fuel now from tryin 2 crank. take all the plugs out 4 a start.

-Ult

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we did put the screwdriver in the no 1 cyl and turned the pully to TDC. But after we did this the cams moved without us knowing and it all went to hell. we couldnt figure out how to use the tool untill it was too late. they took off the vavle cover and tried to line up the cams along with TDC of no 1 cyl...after countless hours and just short of taking apart the whole engine we are stuck...thanks for tring to help

glenn

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
is there somethin on the intake cam gear that gives u any reference? the tool ur talkin bout, is this the alignment bar by chance? if so and u've used it, i'm presuming on svt cams that is can go in only 1 way, correct? this would prevent u from puttin it in upside down. b/c the bar wont fit in if their upside down like zx3 cams correct? hmmm.

did u check ur cylinders 2 c if their full of fuel, in they r, which they very well could b, u'll need 2 get it out. remove plugs and check it out.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
hydra-locked, there's the name i was thinkin of...when ur cylinder(s) r filled w/fuel.

-Ult

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for your help...we deicded that this is now way over our heads and are putting the stock cam gear back on and having it towed to the dealer.

glenn

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
I am not sure the adjustable cam gears work with the SVT. At least thats what TOM told me. The cams are completely different and sit differently in the head and the end for the cam gear are different aswell.

IF the cam timing is off by a 1/4 turn of the cam you WILL have a valve hit the Piston.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well we ordered the bolt that hold on the cam gear becuase the orignal one is all messed up and u can tell someone was messing with it. do you guys think that if i leave on my aem cai that they will void the warranty. the reason i ask is because i cant find the orginal air box. thanks guys...by the way ive read that they cant void the warranty becuase of that part if it has nothing to do with why the engine is broken.

·
Registered
42 Posts
yo pooch... i live rite across the bridge in jersey... email me @ [email protected]... i could come over there and give you guys a hand.... as i just had a hell of a time last week settin my own car back to TDC after the t belt snapped over in philly.... just email me a # and ill call ya up as soon as i get it... if your willing to wait a day or so....
peace B

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the offer b but its a little bit more than getting it to TDC...we probably bent some vavles by tring to start it so many times..later

glenn

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Originally posted by Pooch83:
thanks for your help...we deicded that this is now way over our heads and are putting the stock cam gear back on and having it towed to the dealer.

glenn
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Glenn - If you are going to take it to the dealer why not just let them finish the install of your gear?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
adj's can b used on the svt's exh side. FS sells em and made have been installed correctly, how effective r they at extractin power, the results have been bleek 2 say the least.

as the standard zetec engine is a non-interference 2 the best of my knowledge (goin by a zx2 that a relative built up, yeah i know slightly different head, but a close reference), it would only make sense that ford did the svt engine the same way, granted its an american company so their bound 2 do somethin dumb. the svt head itself could b interference on the grounds that its compression ratio is a lil bit higher 10.2 vs 9.6), and since their not runnin domed pistons in that version of the engine, it'd have 2 b that either the chambers r a significantly different size and/or the valves have less clearance similar 2 millin the standard head.

basically if the valve doesnt dip down enuff 2 enter the cylinder wall itself which at any time in this case havin not seen an svt head in person i cant confirm or deny, then it doesnt matter how outta line the cams r, it wont matter b/c they wont touch. whole reason behind interference and non-interference.

it'd b a good idea 2 get tom 2 reply on whether it is or isnt. he would know 4 certain.

-Ult

[ 12-03-2002, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
210 Posts
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
hmmm, dont say that just yet. u have 2 absolutely certain that ur cam is set 2 0,0 when ur no.1 cyl is at tdc, do not rely on a mark on the crank pulley, use a long screwdriver dropped down into cyl no.1 (plug out of course). have ur buddy rotate the engine w/a breaker bar or long ratchet on the crank pulley (might want 2 take out all the spark plugs 2 ease the work of turnin the motor over, and when that screwdriver goes its highest, then ur there, stop.

now, those cams on the other side should have keyways just like zx3 cams (havent seen em personally just hedgin my bets). make sure ur exh key is sittin similar 2 that of ur intake cam. if thru tryin 2 figure it out, u think that ur intake cam is off as well now, look 2 make sure that 1 or both of ur cams isnt set 4 exactly 1 revolution of the crank out of time. i wish i could have seen a svt cam b4 hand.

but dont worry, if u can make sure ur engine is at tdc on no.1, then thru reference u make sure that both ur cams r rightside up when at tdc on no.1. she should crank. the fact that u said it just wasnt able 2 start or run 4 more than a sec or 2 i gather speaks that the cams were not set 4 tdc on no.1. this happens alot when people use their udp marks as their way of findin tdc.

again dont worry bout it b'g damaged b/c its a non-interference engine, u wont nuke an engine simply 4 not have the cams set right. the probs u think that r permanent r more prolly b/c ur cylinders r filled w/fuel now from tryin 2 crank. take all the plugs out 4 a start.

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Are you sure the SVT is a non interference engine?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rod, im putting everything stock back on because I want them to fix the car under warranty.
If i take it in with the kent cam gear on they will know i was messing with it and will void my warranty. i think im gonna hang the gear on my wall as a rememberance of what happened.

glenn

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey guys i got the car towed last nite and today they looked at it. they said that they were gonna void my warranty just becuase of my aem cai intake. they said they "think" it sucked in water and hydro locked but they cant prove it. i know this is not true so i tried fighting them on it telling them about the federal law in effect and they just blew me off. what should I do now? i know this is not what caused it to not work. they said even if they dont find proof that theres water in it they can still void my warranty. HELP

1 - 20 of 30 Posts