Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a good possibility it will be wet tommorow at the AutoX. It is an asphalt parking lot. I have 215/45/16 Azenis that I have never ran in the rain. Should I go up or down in pressures? I usually run 42F/36R.

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I would go down in pressure from what you run dry--run close to "street" pressure, and soften up the shocks if you are able (edit--Eibachs???--can't do much there). I know of guys that disconnect an endlink on each swaybar too when it gets real wet--but I have never tried that...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I'll have to wait and see what the weather brings, but it is always nice to have a plan.

-Scott

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
If your Azenis aren't too worn, drop the fronts to about 40-41psi, and pretend it's Dry, as long as there's no Standing water in a Corner.
On a Typical 40-or-so second course, Azenis in GOOD Shape will only give up a tenth or so.
If your Azenis are pretty worn, drop the tires down a couple psi, and push at 8/10ths until you find the point where they let go, and adjust subsequent runs appropriately. If it's just Wet, you're fine. If there's Standing water, remember where the Deep Spots are, and respond accordingly. The Azenis have enough Grip, that pavement that is simply "Wet" can be treated almost as if it were dry.
GO FOR IT!!!!
As long as there's decent water runoff, or the rain is not too heavy, go BALLS to the WALL!!!!
Don't worry about it at all, other than being a little easier w/ "SQUEEZING" into the throttle on Exit so you don't lose time w/ wheelspin.
Brake deep, Late-Apex, (To Straighten your Exits), and Rock ON!
Have Fun.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ran 41F/34R and was amazed at the grip that the Azenis gave. I finished 7th in class and 21st overall out of about 115. 207 registered drivers but most decided they didn't want to run. I paxed better than many of the X-class drivers, and beat a few on raw time.

Azenis Rock.

-Scott

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Toldja!!!

Congrats on having a fun day!.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, Okay. But rain is something you have to experience. Funny how we can believe when its dry, but the wet is another story.

Thanks for all the great help.

-Scott

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just saw the posted final results. 21st out of 162.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Not bad.
I know what you mean about the wet.
I was REALLY worried before my first "Wet" Event.
Back then, my driving wasn't as confident, and I THINK I was still on the Firehawks.
As I Improved, Wet or Dry, I found that Grippy Tires are Grippy, regardless of water.
STANDING water will induce Hydroplaning, but at Auto-X Speeds, it's more of a "Grip Issue". Also, Parking Lots don't change as much as streets do in the wet.
They DO Change, but there isn't as much daily traffic dripping oil and such.
On the Street, use the Caution that you're used to when it's wet, but don't be afraid of wet Auto-X.
Even if the grip is down, everyone's on the same playing field, and it actually teaches you more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts