Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other week I was talking with a guy from a well known alignment shop out in Santee (a suburb of San Diego). I was grilling him on recommendations for local tire shops that did quality work where I could get a good deal on some new shoes for my stock SVTF rims.

I mentioned that the Kuhmo Ecsta 711's that are currently on the car came from the Tire Rack, and I got them for $67 a piece. Which is about the cheapest tire I could find anywhere. His response was that he's talked to a Discount tire store owner/manager, apparently Tire Rack was selling some tires for cheaper than the Discount tire dude could get at cost. He speculated that the only way that Tire Rack was able to do this, was to buy back large lots of "out of round" or less than perfect tires from distributors or tire chains...factory seconds if you will...and resell them to unwitting Tire Rack customers.

Anyone care to comment on this story?

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
I call BS on the guy from Discount Tire.

I will never deal with Discount Tire whether it be in person at a store or thru their online sales services. Discount Tire is terrible, and I know this because my father used to work for them back in the day, and things haven't changed.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
I currently buy from Discount Tire with no problems but I buy from Tire Rack as well.

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Sour grapes on the part of the Discount guy. I HIGHLY doubt TR is selling seconds as new. They have such HUGE buying power, probably way more then Discount, that they can get the price lower.

Tire Rack is a HUGE supporter of Focaljet. Please buy from TR whenever possible by clicking on the yellow Focus at the top of the page. "thumbup: Thanks!

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Indeed, people who buy more product, get a lower bottom line. That's how it is. That's why gigantesque behemoth operations like Wal-Mart can offer better prices than the smaller shops. If a manufacturer is making great profit from it's top reseller, they'll always cut them a break.

Lower cost for high-volume resellers = lower prices at the reseller = more customers for the reselle = reseller buys more product from the manufacturer = more money for everyone, including the customers willing to shop at the big places.

Tire Rack is the 800 pound gorilla in this market.

Of course, not all products and commodities work this way, but tires most certainly do.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
Well then their "out of round" tire work really good then lol. I've never heard a complaint, most racers swear by TR.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
He speculated that the only way that Tire Rack was able to do this, was to buy back large lots of "out of round" or less than perfect tires from distributors or tire chains...factory seconds if you will...and resell them to unwitting Tire Rack customers.

That's out of control.

Legally speaking, could this be considered slander?

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
He speculated that the only way that Tire Rack was able to do this, was to buy back large lots of "out of round" or less than perfect tires from distributors or tire chains...factory seconds if you will...and resell them to unwitting Tire Rack customers.

That's out of control.

I'm not sure. The guy "speculated", and didn't go as far as to proclaim it as fact. Plus, the guy can always argue the customer took his words out of context and yada yada yada.

In any case, it isn't professional for a company to start bad-mouthing their competitors in a business setting. That company would only assume they are 100% perfect. If they aren't perfect, then that blows their credibility out the window.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I don't trust the Discount Tire manager at all, esides what would he know about TR's practices? Just because he doesn't get as good a deal, he's spiteful because TR probably takes away from some of their potential customers?

I doubt Very Much that the TireRack could've gotten as far as they have, for as long as they have, selling out of round or factory-seconds. It would be stupid business sense and usually those that do stuff like that get found out soon enough. They probably do pay less, since they're large and have buying power, since I doubt they're selling their tires for a loss

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had 4 brand new dunlop sport rover gtx's that i got for my 2003 dakota this year. After mounting them i found out that all 4 were out of round. I contacted them and they said i had to contact the manufacturer. The shop i had mount and balance the tires was a TR recommended shop. I have to admit i may NEVER buy from tire rack again.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I call BS on the guy from Discount Tire.

I will never deal with Discount Tire whether it be in person at a store or thru their online sales services. Discount Tire is terrible, and I know this because my father used to work for them back in the day, and things haven't changed.
I worked at Discount Tire for a while and I enjoied it
, but then again I knew nothing of how things were run. I was just a tire jocky.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I had 4 brand new dunlop sport rover gtx's that i got for my 2003 dakota this year. After mounting them i found out that all 4 were out of round. I contacted them and they said i had to contact the manufacturer. The shop i had mount and balance the tires was a TR recommended shop. I have to admit i may NEVER buy from tire rack again.
And on the flip side I've bought 23 tires from Tire Rack (4 Kuhmo 712, 4 Yokohama ES100, 4 Firestone Winterfire, 4 Bridgestone RE750, 4 Yokohama Avid Touring, 2 BFG g-force drag radials, 1 Kuhmo Touring Plus 732) and every single one was perfect.

I highly doubt TR gets "factory second" tires. As has been stated before, they have a lot of buying power from manufacturers since they are such a huge company. Just like any large business they can get much better prices from manufacturers because of this buying power. Never underestimate the power of a large company.

Wal Mart single-handedly started the RFID (radio-frequency identification) system for its products using its buying power. They told the manufacturers they required their products to be fitted with RFID chips by 2007, otherwise they'd find new manufacturers. Knowing that Wal Mart controls a good portion of the world's retail sales, the manufacturers completely complied. That's how it works.

Nate

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I have purchased three sets of tires thru Tire Rack over the years and not a single problem.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I can assure you we "The Tire Rack" never purchase or sell tires that are out of round or of second level quality (also known as blemished tires) knowingly! If we discover a serial problem with a tire size, brand, or range, the entire group is pulled from stock, quarantined and returned to the vendor!!!

Regarding the comments on the four (4) Dunlop Sport Rover GTX'S being out of round, I can tell you that it is very unusual to see four tires out of round unless it is a serial defect. Unfortunately, once a tire has been installed and driven on, any "Warranty Issues" are the responsibility of the manufacturer or their appointed agent, and, we are limited to the guidance and warranty procedures as outlined by the manufacture when it come to warranty issues. If you would like to contact me with your order details via "PM", I would be more than happy to review the circumstances surrounding your order.

·
Registered
340 Posts
that sounds a little crazy to me. Especially after all the Explorer and firestone fiasco NOBODY in their right mind is taking a chance on bad tires.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
That's out of control.

I'm not sure. The guy "speculated", and didn't go as far as to proclaim it as fact. Plus, the guy can always argue the customer took his words out of context and yada yada yada.

In any case, it isn't professional for a company to start bad-mouthing their competitors in a business setting. That company would only assume they are 100% perfect. If they aren't perfect, then that blows their credibility out the window.

Thanks for your perspective.

I shouldn't post right after I wake up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts