Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If the tires that 'bounce' are on the rear it is from tire oscillation that slowly wears the tire out of round. Jack tire up and spin it in the air, the out of round is immediately evident to eyesight. Someone following you in another car can see tire jumping when it gets bad enough. You should hear the tires with the characteristic 'WOO WOO WOO WOO' sound that gets louder as tire gets further out of round. It's because there is no rear axle weight back there to damp that out and virtually every FWD car has the problem. Same with the rear camber issue, it is inherent in the design, the car weight relaxes the bushing rubber to then make the bushings sag and the tires then whack out on camber. Look at every older Corvette or Beemer with IRS, they do the exact same thing. The salesmen saying it's fixed???........................LOL. Hell will freeze first.

The front tires don't do it because the powertrain weight damps the tire oscillation out.

Rotating tires can stave it off some, but secretly, all you are doing is messing up the other pair of tires to do the same and it affects the front driving then as well later in tire life. Over the last 20 years I have learned to change tires in pairs only, the new ones go up front and the backs get the old ones to then let them go out of round until they need replacing. Zero rotation, the tires go almost or to the warranted distance. 9 times out of 10 the tires (rear only mostly) get replaced for sun cracking in the rubber. It makes for a far higher percentage of time with excellent car driving characteristics in my view, most car driving on FWD if you are not bouncing the car off corners comes from the greatly improved tracking feel of new tires on the front at all times.............

I'm probably now just on my 5th set and a '00 wagon @ 200+K. And never aligned, I do it myself.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts