Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in knowing what tire and wheel combination people are running.

I have an SVT so I’m limited to a 16” rim.

The primary function will be Auto-X, but I also may do some open track events. So I’ll be looking for a tire that will hold up on the track as well.

I was thinking a set of shaved ECSTA V700, but I’m still not sure on a set of rims.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i posted this earlier when i got this setup
"Just got a set of Kosei K1s mounted with Kumho 205/45/16 V70a. i got them from the tire rack shaved which i highly recomend. For all those thinking about a race tire setup have no fear about this clearing the brakes. The spoke clearence is huge.....and plenty of space everywhere else as you can see the car gets down on its knees but i have no heard nor seen any signs of rubbing....will 225s fit.....maybe but ill wait for someone to test that out
anyway tirerack shipped them very quickly for a total of something like 1000 USD.....with everything from hubcentric rings to the lug nuts.
the wheels are 43mm offset and with these tires weigh 33,9 pounds
i have yet to weigh my stock setup but these are much lighter.
overall very pleased with the kumhos people bitch about wear but these are r compounds and i change my tires at the track so all they see is track use...... they wear quick but nothing out of the ordinary....the grip is simply amazing......whoa wow yepeeeee......yeah its that good screw the body kit, neons, wing and type r stickers........get r compounds and get on the track its that simple.........enjoy the pics"

Just realized when i got them from tire rack they told me that this was a close out deal and that they only had a few left as of now there still not on tirerack.com
maybe leave a post in the wheel and tire forum for CY he works for tire rack and can probably help you out
later

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I think the stock SVT 17” are in the range of 40 to 45lbs I had a set shipped to me last year for winter tires.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
weighed my SVT with 1/2 tread Conti 38.5 lbs. New Kumho ecsta on sport edition volare 17X7- 46 lbs
. Would have liked less, but look to be strong wheel. Reflex 16x7 with 1/2 tread kumho are around 36 lbs. May switch race tires back to SVT and use SE's on street.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Check the tire forum. Slickshoes posted some weights. Are you getting street tires you can use on the auto-x/track or are these completely seperate racing only wheels and tires?

If street look at Rota's or Kazera KZ-V (the other kz's are heavier) they are the best deal on lightweight wheels

Tires, Kumho MX for street, Azenis if auto-x all the time but... depending on class I would run like Toyo RA1's or something (good wear)

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the tire forum. Slickshoes posted some weights. Are you getting street tires you can use on the auto-x/track or are these completely seperate racing only wheels and tires?

If street look at Rota's or Kazera KZ-V (the other kz's are heavier) they are the best deal on lightweight wheels

Tires, Kumho MX for street, Azenis if auto-x all the time but... depending on class I would run like Toyo RA1's or something (good wear)
They would be a dedicated auto-x/track tire. I have been informed by Penquini66, there are some restrictions in STS that limit me to a tire with a tread were rating of 140.

CY form tire rack suggested to me that I could go with ether a Kumho Ecsta MX, or Pirelli Pzero Nero shaved to 4/32

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Yeah, I just went through this process a month or so ago.

http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB4&Number=645489&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

The Kosei K1's are definitely the way to go if you can find a set. Unfortunately they've been discontinued for a while now, so good luck finding a set. The next best cheap/decent/light rim I could find in a >40ET that wasn't custom drilled, was the OZ SuperTurismos (43ET) and the Kazera's (45ET). The SuperT's I think look better, but are both $300 more and heavier. The KZ-V's are a little bit heavier than the K1's, and also are only 16x7's (K1's are 16x7.5) which is fine for 205/215's, but is cutting it close for 225's.

I paid a couple bucks over a grand for a set of them plus some shaved 205/55-16 A032R's, and am loving them so far. The plan is to go with the new Hankook 215/40-16's next.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
For STS you pretty much have to run Falken Azeni Sports to be competitive. I dont think the MX will be as good as the azeni
I don't think this is 100% accurate. If I remember right, Azeni's big draw is grip for dollar!!! But not best overall grip.

I would bet they are on par with the MX's as far as grip, could be better, could be worse. They are for sure less sticky than the BFG TA-KD's, which are pretty much the ultimate street tire (you just pay out the nose for them). I just think the azenis have become so popular that the price has gone up to a level where their are better alternatives at the same price level.

As far as wheels, there is seemingly a push to make wheels lighter, so more options are becoming available.

Currently I'm running 16" rota grids (about 14.5lbs) with 205/55/16 RA-1's for the track, but these tires are mega tall. I wouldn't suggest them on an SVT, especially for auto-x. I would look into a 17x7 running 205/40/17 RA-1's. Nice low profile tires, helps with gearing, stiff sidewall and relatively lightweight depending on your wheels.

One of the sponsors is selling some Konig "Holes" 17x7 w/ 45mm offset and they weight 16.1 lbs per wheel. Pretty decent setup if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, I’m going to keep my eyes open over the next few months. I have been looking around a bit, but after unloading over a 1K on my coilover’s I should wait little bit.

By the way the pictures you’ll posted are sweet. I have a few of my own if you would like to check them out.

Auto-x Photos

Some of you west coasters may know the guy in the back ground of the last few in the series. Can any guess who he is?

On aside note and unrelated topic. I was thinking about getting a set of new front lower control lower arms, I have a set of poly bushings to install and was thinking that it would be a lot nicer to do it on a spear set. My thought was then to sell them to a fellow racer looking to do the same install. Maybe we can keep passing a set around to make it a lot less stressful to do the install. Any one think this is a good idea?

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Yup... that's Henry!! We want him back

He was definately one of the hard core racer folk. At least he's getting some track time with you guys (even if it is only auto-x). Good luck in your tire/wheel hunting.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I live in Vancouver and run under the CACC
we don't have class like STS but from what i've heard would you really be able to run aftermarket lower control arms??
here in vancouver we have STOCK where you can run any shock with any race tire (not slicks though) and with a 2.5 pounnd Fire exgiusher you get 1 free point for weight reduction

So under our rules i could run an SVTF with a super light 17inch rims some nice fat hoosiers, a carbon race seat, an LSD would be my one point, revalved koni's...all in G-stock
all using 1 point.....and of course 1 poly bushing in my engine mount would bump me into Street prepared (your Street Mod) were you get 15 prep points

Blame Canada eh?
Rant over

Anyway i assume your talking about the Focus Central LCA(lower control arm).....generaly i think alota people hold FC in bad regard.....there has been lots of talk of bad quality and poor customer service.....i have had no experience with FC so i don't know but the FC LCA does seem to be quite a nice way to get some adjustable camber.....because i run a 205/45/16 race tire on my Kosei K1 they have such a smaller rolling diameter i think i've picked up some free camber that way.....but ya every bit helps.......anyway...if you pick the azenis good choice it's a very nice street tire.....the MX doesn't have as much grip but is cheaper and non asymetrical so it can be fliped around to get more life outta them.....all comes down to what you need, want, and can afford

later

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We will get Henry back out to the track soon, he and I have been talking about a few event’s. Besides he is itching to give his new R compound tires a work out.

Sorry I should have made myself clear I was referring to a stock lower control Arm.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I would look into a 17x7 running 205/40/17 RA-1's. Nice low profile tires, helps with gearing, stiff sidewall and relatively lightweight depending on your wheels.
.........mmmmmmmm fresh set.....me still likey these things.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Bri - I already told ya man, just build up your car for track events then run whatever class they throw you in at autoX events and kick some ass!

Hey, I like the control arm bushing idea. How about you start with control arm bushings, then I'll install some and I'll take my control arm with me on my next flight to SoCal and if anyone there wants them you can save on shipping! LOL

TeamSoCal - Did I mention, I'm REALLY Jonesin' for some track time and I'm dying to try my new/used Toyo-RA1 on the track. And reading about the last SoCal track event just makes me want to cry

In the meantime, Bri has been showing me all the local AutoX spots!
I'm just not fond of the track time to commute ratio of the autoX event in the area. 5+mins/1.5hr

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Those are the proxes right? Not the R compounds Murph?

Actually I think there whole performance line are known as "Proxes"......and this is the age old battle axe RA-1

I used to think they were just slow, but my last set made me a believer for the R grip to unbelievable life ratio.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts