Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The subject says it all. I have a 04 SVT that is my daily driver and needs new rubber. Maximum performance is not my number one priority, a quiet ride IS. Can someone give any suggestions as to what would be a good tire choice?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I've gone through 5 sets of rims with 4 different sets of tires. I've had Firestone, yokohama, Falkon, Dunlop, and now Kumho. All have been ok tires but Noisy as hell, especially when they start to wear, besides the Kumho's which i'm currently running. Strange enough they are the Kumho 711's. They are really cheap tires. They are very soft. I do notice less handling from these tires since the sidewalls aren't so stiff, but they are sticky and do well i the rain too. But my favorite part is that they are SO quiet. You dont hear any road noise. As far as noise goes, get these. Cant beat the price.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have The Yokohama Parada Spec-2. They are SUPER loud, particularly in the back. And they wear really quickly. Don't get these unless it's for a track car.

I just ordered a set of Kuhmo Ecsta AST's, which are advertised as being pretty quiet. We'll see...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've had GS-D3's and HRII's and completely agree on the above comments. I've also had the g-Force Sports which are quite popular on this forum, and have neither praise nor complaint about their noise level.

The sportier tires will tend to be noisy. How boring of a tire can you tolerate in order to turn down the volume? The problem you may have is that the soccer-mom type tires are not usually available in your factory size. What you can look for is an all season without performance in the name, and a quality brand. Most often, a Goodyear will be quieter than a Kumho, Yoko, or Sumitomo, etc. In particular, Continental and Michelin are known for their favorable ride characteristics.

Go to Tire Rack, shop by size, then use the side bar options to sort like there's no tomorrow. Check the comfort ratings and polls in each category. I'd think you'll probably want something like a Grand Touring tire. I ride on something like that most of the time, and they provide an excellent compromise when you don't need max performance.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm going to have to say the new Continental DWS (the qualify as high performance all season tires)....

Holy crap these are some quiet tires. I was riding around on BFG G-Force Sports for probably 3 years, as I found them too be a tire with great performance. Just switched to these (good deal from Tire Rack) and they are quite comfortable, excellent tread wear rating too.. Not much more to report, have had them less than a month. I don't usually go for the brand new (lack of reviews) but I'm glad I did. I felt the need for some all season tires since I park outside now and don't get much fun time with the fofo... but I think I could get some good performance from these too...

These are so quiet that I could finally hear my engine mount on the highway! Now I know I need to change it lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got the Kumho Ecsta on our Golf and they are indeed pretty quiet. I'll probably put them on the Focus next time, too. The Tire Rack price is really reasonable for a tire that performs this well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts