Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm taking my ride to the muffler shop tomorrow to fix a leak and I was wondering if I should put back a high-flow cat that I have or should I just leave it like it is. My car has pass emisions without the cat, my only concerns are performance and noise.

Gracias,

Miguel

[ 11-29-2002, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: mhernande ]

·
Registered
384 Posts
I say "not to cat"! I love my car now that I have my FC Race Header, but I do think I may add a resinator to muffle the sound down on my Magnaflow.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
To even ask this question I assume you are young and don't have kids. What good reason could there be to not run a cat? A proper cat is virtually penalty free performance wise, so why break the law, severely reduce resale value (or make transfer impossible altogether), and put unneccessary crud into the air?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by Welding Rod:
To even ask this question I assume you are young and don't have kids. What good reason could there be to not run a cat? A proper cat is virtually penalty free performance wise, so why break the law, severely reduce resale value (or make transfer impossible altogether), and put unneccessary crud into the air?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ohh lets not start with all that BS...

no cat!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Originally posted by FocusOnMyZeTec:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Welding Rod:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ohh lets not start with all that BS...

no cat!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well COST is a major reason for me not to run one! and lets discuss waht a cat DOES it burns unburned fuel...if your car is PROPERLY tuned it wont HAVE excess fuel........industrial factories produce WAAAY more environmental hazards that all the cars in the world without cats, if you REALLY loved the environment you wouldt drive anyways you would take public transportation or ride a bus.....but im sure that isnt very convenient.....i am reminded of a simpsons quote [panic] BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN?!?!?[/panic] listen up. THE SUN causes cancer so does gasoline and so do a TON of other things. if its meant to happen, its gonna happen!

NUFF SAID!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Well in that case I stand humbly corrected.

If only we could find world leadership that possessed the selflessness, wisdom, foresight, self discipline, and work ethic of an average 19 year old American.

No cat dawg! Boyeeee U wil B screemiN like da Shnitfitz!!!! Yo werd!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

If only we could find world leadership that possessed the selflessness, wisdom, foresight, self discipline, and work ethic of an average 19 year old American.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">tru dat homiee..I knew you were cool..shizzyy!!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Im 47 by the way.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Originally posted by FocusOnMyZeTec:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Welding Rod:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">tru dat homiee..I knew you were cool..shizzyy!!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LMFAO!

·
Registered
997 Posts

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">actually i believe it would be better to just do what everyone else tells us to do INSTEAD of reasearching the FACTS.............a LOT of the environmental drama you hear is BULL****. cant trust everything on tv.......for one example the hole in the ozone layer due to"cfc's" (chloroflorcarbons for those who didnt know)
was originally discovered to be in existance in 1954, BEFORE usage of cfc's
dont believe everything ya read
and the quantity of smog released by a catless focus (illegal) will NEVER match that of the old steel monsters that legally dont have to have a cat.....but if you would like to send me a high flow cat i would be glad to weld it on just for you! and as fas as breaking the law goes. if i welded a cat INTO my system now, it would STILL be illegal, due to the fact that i moved cat placement

reasons NOT to get the "other" option to a race header

1. shorty headers are notorious for cracking problems
2. the random tech cats are almost as expensive as the race header flex pipe comb
3. the dyno results.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Originally posted by zx3steve14:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">actually i believe it would be better to just do what everyone else tells us to do INSTEAD of reasearching the FACTS.............a LOT of the environmental drama you hear is BULL****. cant trust everything on tv.......for one example the hole in the ozone layer due to"cfc's" (chloroflorcarbons for those who didnt know)
was originally discovered to be in existance in 1954, BEFORE usage of cfc's
dont believe everything ya read
and the quantity of smog released by a catless focus (illegal) will NEVER match that of the old steel monsters that legally dont have to have a cat.....but if you would like to send me a high flow cat i would be glad to weld it on just for you! and as fas as breaking the law goes. if i welded a cat INTO my system now, it would STILL be illegal, due to the fact that i moved cat placement

2. the random tech cats are almost as expensive as the race header flex pipe comb
3. the dyno results.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Welding Rod got:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Oh you guys. Funny indeed.

With such a convincing argument against cats, I suggest you ramrod an initiative to pass law requiring cat removal from all 10 million (?) converter equiped vehicles in L.A. county. The results of such an escapade would surely show those tree huggers how if they had only researched the facts, they could have eliminiated all those pesky smog alerts years ago.

ZX3Steve - Regardless of cost, you will almost certainly end up paying to install a converter on your rig sooner or later. Honestly, without one the drop in resale value will probably be much more than the cost of installing one, or resale will be virtually impossible depending on where you live. I speak from experience, from a time before I knew better.

[ 11-30-2002, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: Welding Rod ]

·
Registered
997 Posts
if everyone else doesnt want a cat they can take it off their damn selves.....and good luck getting the government to contradict itself or getting OEM manufacturers to PROPERLY tune their cars....cats would not be required if vehicles were properly tuned......next time u fill up, better not spill any gas or imma call the EPA on you....and that pollutes the water table as well....better watchout!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well i wil feel free to pull my cat off of my 30+mpg econamy car as long as im driving next to black smoke spewing semis.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
From what I understand diesel fumes/smoke doesn’t pollute much just looks smells bad.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
To even ask this question I assume you are young and don't have kids. What good reason could there be to not run a cat? A proper cat is virtually penalty free performance wise, so why break the law, severely reduce resale value (or make transfer impossible altogether), and put unneccessary crud into the air
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Miguel - Sorry for that first line, it was uncalled for.

I have been supervising young men as a college instructor for 6 years, as a welding shop foreman before that, and as an Army Staff Sergeant before that.

Sometimes my patience for youthful wisdom gets a little thin.

Good luck on you exhaust.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No problem, by the way I'm 26.

The real thing is that my car, as I said in my first post, passed emissions without the cat. The other thing is that I have a lot of friends with new cars and with their cat they don't pass emissions, so whom ever said that the problem is not the cat, but tuning the car properly is totally right.

Thanks,

Miguel

I won't install a cat. FU$#%$ the goverment, power to the people and to the Focis.

·
Registered
727 Posts
3. the dyno results.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">how 'bout the sound difference between a hi flow cat+ shorty vs. race header?

...tek

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
LOL MUHAHAHHAHAHA

THE KIDS, WE HAVE TO SAVE THE KIDS

LOL

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Originally posted by Smoe:
LOL MUHAHAHHAHAHA

THE KIDS, WE HAVE TO SAVE THE KIDS

LOL
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ah.... that would be YOU and some others here.
LOL

So be grateful!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts