Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal guys....I'm trying to build a solid, quick, strong N/A motor. I've got a shop full of boxes patiently awaiting installation onto my spare motor.

Mods to date:
FR Head (ported and polished more)
FC Race header
FC T/B
Bosal Flex pipe
Crower Stage 2 Cams

Mods to come:
Cam gears
Underdrive pullies
10.5:1 pistons
Eagle H-beams

I'm curious on about two things. What do you think about installing a light weight flywheel? I've read that they can reduce low end torque, but are we talking a huge loss? I know I'll need a new clutch assembly as well but I was going to do that anyway - so would a lightweight flywheel benefit me?

Also, I'm wondering if I need to go ahead and get billet main caps? I will probably be spinning her upto about a 7200 redline.

All opinions appreciated.

Kev

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
A light weight flywheel is the only way to go for big n/a power. You wont have enough torque down low to spin the heavy one up properly with the build you're thinkin about. Going with a flywheel with lower polar moment of interia allows you to keep the revs high (where they need to be) to make solid power.

·
Registered
694 Posts
A flywheel is just an energy storage device. With a heavy one you put some energy into spinning it up. This helps get the car moving from a stop, it's main purpose. However when you're accelarating part of the energy you make is used to spin up the flywheel, this energy isn't lost, you can feel it when you shift and you get that 'hit' when the clutch engages in the next gear. With a light flywheel less energy will be used to spin up the flywheel, more to the ground and you will accelerate faster (in theory anyway) Basically it will make you accelerate faster but will make launching harder. You need to decide what's best for you. If you're building primarily a race car (street manners are a distant second) then I'd say yea, go for it, install a quaife while you're in there. Spend a grand, do the clutch flywheel and the quaife and be done with it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have the same setup planned for my tran. I already have the flywheel and clutch. Just need the LSD and I'm gonna make a weekend out of it. I think I'm looking at about 6-7 hours.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
get the flywheel...period, it helps, dont listen to the guys who talk about its gonna slow you down, do simple math, it wont, it speeds you up, your ingear acceleration will be improved, getting off the line in day to day driving will be a bit different, nothing thats impossible though

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard some complain about problems with the car running properly after the install. Is there something else I need to do besides install a new clutch in order for everything to run smothely after installation?

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts