Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I Have a dilema, I want a motorcycle and I want a new car. If I get a zts focus I will have 115 more to play with than if I get SVT5. With the 115 dollar difference I was planning on getting a motorcycle. The ZTS I can get for about 235 a month, the SVT5 for about 345. What do you guys think I should do.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Do the bike and the ZTS-I was thinking the same thing. The SVT is great, but the ZTS is better as a daily driver(more room, better ride, cheaper insurance), and there's no substitution for a bike for pure speed-maybe a Yamaha R1 would be good.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Originally posted by focus130:
there's no substitution for a bike for pure speed-maybe a Yamaha R1 would be good.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Especially if you want to kill yourself on your first ride.

Buy a used Suzuki SV650 for your first bike. They're forgiving and have way more than enough power for a begninner (if you are a beginner). Liter bikes are for the skilled veteran, not for the n00b. Don't by an R1 for your first bike unless you wanna be scraped off the pavement by the coroner.

[ 05-21-2003, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: The ArchAngel ]

·
Registered
829 Posts
Originally posted by The ArchAngel:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by focus130:
there's no substitution for a bike for pure speed-maybe a Yamaha R1 would be good.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Especially if you want to kill yourself on your first ride.

Buy a used Suzuki SV650 for your first bike. They're forgiving and have way more than enough power for a begninner (if you are a beginner). Liter bikes are for the skilled veteran, not for the n00b. Don't by an R1 for your first bike unless you wanna be scraped off the pavement by the coroner.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yah Whatever Mike like you know anything about bikes! HAHAHAHA

·
Registered
964 Posts
Are you in California? Then it is a no brainer, get the 2.3 PZEV ZTS and the bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do live in california. This will be my first bike. I want a street bike not a cruiser at this point in time because a street bike is cheeper. Any more reconmmendation for bikes.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I've got an SVTF and I would say if you get the 2.3 in the ZTS then hell yeah, get that and the bike. I drove a rental 2.3 and was really impressed with the torque and power and it was an auto. Plus you'll have the bike when you really want speed. I think this is a no brainer, but make sure you can afford the insurance on both.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you get a bike be careful. Last year a guy died right in front of me (went wide in a turn and over a 60' overpass) and witnessed two guys go down due to inexperience. I would start on a used bike. Two good choices are a Kawasaki EX 500 or a Suzuki SV650. Don't start on a 600 Super Sport. Curves can be your worst enemy as a beginner. Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course.

I ride a CBR 954 and give it LOTS of respect. My first bike was a CBR 600 F3. I lasted two months on my new bike (936 miles) and hurt myself BAD. That's why I don't recommend a 600. It's very fast (I ran 11.8 ETs being a beginner) and you get used to the straight line speed. It takes a lot of practice, skill and experience to carry that speed through various curves and turns. This reply is kinda long, but I am trying to stress that you take it slow and learn right. Sportbikes.net is a good resource for information and opinions on sportbikes. I know that's the direction you're heading with bikes. Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to have fun not kill my self. I don't go over 100 out side of 2 to 4 doors. the chance of a person surviving falling off a bike at 100 is very slim. In a car you have a lot better chance.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I've been too close to too many 2-wheeled dead friends to advocate the bike.
I say 2.3 ZX-5 5-Speed, and use the Leftover to Mod to Taste. Start w/ Springs, Dampers and Rear Swaybar, then go from there.
You can do some really nice Upgrades at a Moderate price, and still have cash left over w/o worrying about getting run over by the guy in the truck who doesn't see you...

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Originally posted by The ArchAngel:
Buy a used Suzuki SV650 for your first bike.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's what i'll be doing eventually

- Drew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts