Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ZX3Red,

I'm wondering this myself. I want the sweet sound of my HKS but I DON'T want a big jump in db. level. I just measured the sound pressure of mine today just for grins. At 12" off the pipe (@1000 rpm) it was 72 db. ( A weighting ). I'm hoping I can go with a FS header and the HKS cat-back and still keep sound pressure down.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
I HAD the raceheader and HKS exhuast, it was fairly loud but it sounded good...probably one of the quieter exhuast/race header setup

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Originally posted by StayPuffZX3:
i run the hks with a jba shorty, fc race pipe, and bosal flex everyday and haven't had any problems with excessive db's. it sounds great and it is quieter then my vibrant was in this setup.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yup, the Vibrant with that header/off-road pipe setup is REALLY loud!

Is the HKS stainless steel? Oh and how is that off-road pipe holding up? I had one but it ended up cracking like a mofo. And recently my friend's off-road pipe just kicked the bucket by breaking into three pieces.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by nazthug:
I HAD the raceheader and HKS exhuast, it was fairly loud but it sounded good...probably one of the quieter exhuast/race header setup
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Geez, FINALLY.
I sent you a PM on this very question about two weeks ago. I guess I can delete it now.

The HKS is *not* SS (the end is, just not the tubing)so if you live around a bunch of salt it may be bad. But it sounds soooo nice.I'm guessing by the time mine craps out, I'll be bored with the (current) Focus anyhow.

I'm thinking I should go with a shorty just to be safe. I'm looking more for tone than extra high RPM power.

[ 02-01-2003, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Phillip ]

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
The HKS system is Ceramic Coated (like the FocusSport) with the full rear can in 304 Stainless.

So far my ORP is holding up fine.. not a slight problem out of it since I installed it.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
hell yeah my man!!

Sweetest sound out of a Focus (shy of Forced Induction) that I have heard..

Just the sound when you mash it going past 2500 RPM is worth it!!

My Setup is said exhaust with the FocusSport flex pipe and FC off road pipe... which I will be replacing with the FocusSport Race Header..

actually to be honest it sounds ungodly going past 3000 RPM on an incline.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Awesome answers!

Thanks for all that feedback...but I have one more question.

Any problems as far as legal issues go? Is that even something you worry about (contacts)? Another concern of mine is not having a cat and getting pulled over...and I guess emmissions as well. I live in Pennsylvania, so I don't know if there are certain laws regarding having or not having a cat.

Any more insight on this? Thanks guys.

-AM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts