Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...that is the question.

As I've said before, my right front koni is "weeping" a tiny bit. I've talked to Lee Grimes at Koni and he said not to worry about weeping unless the shock oil is coming out where the rod goes into the shock body (and in my case it isn't, just coming out of the adjuster). Plus, I was told that even if it was leaking there, it's only a problem if it starts leaking a lot (as in a half-cup or a cup of fluid), and all I get are a couple drops.

So my question is should I take the right front off and send it back in even though it functions just fine (it'd be a matter of principle I suppose), or should I just not worry about it? There is no time limit on the warranty, so if my right front all of a sudden dumps all the shock oil in 6 months, I can still send it back.

Anybody?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I would wait. Regardless of whether you send it back now or later, you're looking at a few hours lost to R&R, and a while of driving your car around with one OE strut. I wouldn't go through that trouble unless I knew there was a problem.

But I'm lazy.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would wait. Regardless of whether you send it back now or later, you're looking at a few hours lost to R&R, and a while of driving your car around with one OE strut. I wouldn't go through that trouble unless I knew there was a problem.

But I'm lazy.
Yeah, I agree. Mainly with this part:
But I'm lazy.
I have plans to send the shocks back after a season to get re-valved and de-gassed anyway.....

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
They are Konis. My experience has been that you can send them back now, and you will have to send them back later anyway. Be very careful when you get them re-valved and de-gassed that they don't label them as having be modified for racing. If they do that, they have no warranty. On the current situation, if you send it back and they report that it is functioning properly, won't they charge you?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be very careful when you get them re-valved and de-gassed that they don't label them as having be modified for racing. If they do that, they have no warranty.
That's what I'm saying. Koni would be doing the work anyway. They'll warranty just about anything as long as there is no evidence that the part was used in a timed racing event (Lee Grimes made that clear to me, he said "I can warranty your shock so long as it's never been autocrossed. *wink wink* Lee seriously is the man)
On the current situation, if you send it back and they report that it is functioning properly, won't they charge you?
Nope, there are two ways you can warranty.
1) Fax them your info, then they send you an RGA (Returned Goods Authorization) that you put on the box and send the shock in. If nothing is wrong, they ship it back, if it's warranteable (is that even a word?) they send you a new one, and if it's not then it's up to you what to do (have them dispose of it or have them send it back)

2) Give them your credit card # and they charge you half the cost of a new damper, and send it to you along with a box + shipping to send the broken damper in. If the returned shock is found to be warranteable, then Koni refunds your credit card, if not, you just got a brand new koni for half-price.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
You know, you can roll your eyes and I agree with you if you are doing it because the post is less than helpful, but honestly, anyone who has been at this for more than a couple of months knows that Konis have a lot of good attributes, but durability is not one of them. The problem is compounded by the fact that rebuilds cost $125 a piece (typically) and the warranty disappears like soap bubbles in a windtunnel when you do anything with them. Having them rebuilt is a fact of life. I say go to Solo II Nationals in KS, and they redo them for ~$20 each, or component cost. Where the other $105 goes for a regular rebuild, well, I'll let you figure that out.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know, you can roll your eyes and I agree with you if you are doing it because the post is less than helpful, but honestly, anyone who has been at this for more than a couple of months knows that Konis have a lot of good attributes, but durability is not one of them. The problem is compounded by the fact that rebuilds cost $125 a piece (typically) and the warranty disappears like soap bubbles in a windtunnel when you do anything with them. Having them rebuilt is a fact of life. I say go to Solo II Nationals in KS, and they redo them for ~$20 each, or component cost. Where the other $105 goes for a regular rebuild, well, I'll let you figure that out.
I've had plenty experience with Koni's, and all of them have functioned properly (including the set on my Focus).

FYI, Koni has been nothing but good to me, going above and beyond what I asked of them, so I'm not gonna be too concerned when I have a small problem with them, especially considering that they've already offered to rectify the situation free of charge.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I've had plenty experience with Koni's, and all of them have functioned properly (including the set on my Focus).

FYI, Koni has been nothing but good to me, going above and beyond what I asked of them, so I'm not gonna be too concerned when I have a small problem with them, especially considering that they've already offered to rectify the situation free of charge.
Good. May you continue to have good luck with them.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I bought the Konis back when there were no other available shocks on the market (except for some Eibach junk).

They've been quite weepy, but after many track days, hundreds of autocross runs and 73k road miles, they seem to continue to work. I can't really think of another twintube I'd be happier with.

Personally, I'd ignore the leak.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, that's what I'm gonna do. I'm actually contemplating buying *another* set that will get cut open and revalved/de-gassed and making my current set into my offseason shocks.

V710s would probably be a better investment at this point though...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts