13 Dodge Caravan 151,331 163,703 -7.6
14 Ford Focus 140,044 139,289 0.5
15 Ford Ranger pickup 127,847 141,372 -9.6
16 Nissan Altima 119,221 119,877 -0.5
17 GMC Sierra pickup 111,321 113,687 -2.1
18 Chevrolet Tahoe 109,579 123,695 -11.4
19 Jeep Grand Cherokee 108,290 123,465 -12.3
20 Ford Expedition 103,914 88,487 17

Ford and GM each have 6 vehicles on the list.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Ok, we just need another 101k Foci sold to become the bestselling car in America.

WTF are the Corolla and Matrix doing lumped together? I was under the impression that they were different cars (sure, they may have a lot of swappable parts, but even then it should be Matrix/Vibe if anything).

If they're gonna lump similar cars together, than the Taurus/Sable has been the bestselling car since about 1990.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
WTF are the Corolla and Matrix doing lumped together? I was under the impression that they were different cars (sure, they may have a lot of swappable parts, but even then it should be Matrix/Vibe if anything).
i work for an insurance company, and when people tell me what type of vehicle they have, i type it in, and it shows a list of the different trim levels, and that's how we tell what symbol it will be assigned (for example, a Lancer Evolution might get a symbol 18, while a Lancer ES or whatever would get an 11), and if i want to select a Matrix as the customer's vehicle, i hafta search under "Corolla", and then the trim level would be "Corolla Matrix". which is weird, but i just thought i would mention that

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Every time someone bitches about why we don't get such and such cars that they get in Europe or Japan, this list is probably one of the main reasons why.

Americans in general according to this list seem to have bad choices when it comes to vehicles.

And why oh why are there so many trucks on that list. It's amazing we've got some of the cool cars we do have and that they are getting better.

Don't get me wrong there are some decent vehicles on the list if you need a particular car, and I've owned three of them in the past, but if you ask me this list is embarrassing.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Tough to believe the Cavalier outsells the Focus....

·
Internet = Serious Business
628 Posts
Every time someone bitches about why we don't get such and such cars that they get in Europe or Japan, this list is probably one of the main reasons why.

Americans in general according to this list seem to have bad choices when it comes to vehicles.

And why oh why are there so many trucks on that list. It's amazing we've got some of the cool cars we do have and that they are getting better.

Don't get me wrong there are some decent vehicles on the list if you need a particular car, and I've owned three of them in the past, but if you ask me this list is embarrassing.
It's because everybody wants a truck/suv so that's where the focus on development is. Of all domestic cars made, I'd only buy a Focus, Mustang, or Vette. Everything else is pretty much junk. All the new tech gadgets are being put on trucks/suvs. Yes the US owned Euro brands have incredible cars, but from a financial stand point they aren't profitable to sell them here. GM could even be around par with Honda is they imported their Opel car line. Untill people realize that SUVs are useless and they buy trucks that have 5x the capacity they need, we'll continue having boring dull cars.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
i figured the focus would be higher on the list

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
No surprise for me on where the Focus stands on that list.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I failed to mention that the figures are furnished by the manufacturers not by an independent survey study so they most likey will include rental fleet cars in the total numbers.Most of the big 2 plus DamlierChrysler own major rental car companies.The Cavaliers,Tauruses and a few others in those figures would be lower if just showing registered vehicles sold/leased to the general public.Ford's F-150 has been the top selling vehicle for a very long time plus pickup trucks in general have been outselling cars for many years now so it's not surprising to see them lead the list.Plus keep in mind due to CAFE the car manufacturers have to sell small fuel efficient cars to offset the big profit making,road hogging,total eclipse of the sun,get outta my way,gas guzzling pickups and SUV's to meet the CAFE requirements which keeps falling not rising.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Actually it's just our culture and lifestyle that is so different from the rest of the world. It's easier here in the states to have a larger vehicle where roads are ALOT wider, plus more peeps here can afford the gas for those guzzlers, also, our working habits effect it greatly, alot of people in the US are dependent on their truck/suv to haul their work around with them
BUT THAT'S STILL NO EXCUSE TO NOT INCLUDE US IN ALL THE COOL EURO/JAP/AUSSIE FULL BLOWN VERSIONS

Since the sport compact market is finally picking up here, we're starting to see the wrx sti's and evo's beginning to move this way, lets just hope they'll reissue the RX7
I would personally spend the extra $$ to import a new one if they don't release it here

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Probably more then half the pickups will never have anything hauled in them that wouldn't have fit in a sedan and probably 3/4 of the SUV (sport utility my butt) won't have more then two people in them and 95% will never set a tire off a paved road.
I had a Dodge Stratus ES for just over a year, traded it in for a Focus because after going to Scotland I became fasinated with the vehicles over there. I'm sick of people in their SUVs that think they own the road and don't have a clue how to drive. And don't get me started on those stupid H2s.... oops well that turned into a rank. Sorry.
We now return you to your orginal thread topic...

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I fail to see how ford is losing money, when they occupy 5 of the top 15 cars.
These are just for the american market but keep in mind that Ford of Europe (Jaguar,Volvo,Aston Martin,Range Rover) has had losses/declining sales which goes to the overall Ford Motor Company's bottom line.Plus with all of the rebates and 0% financing offered that is more money that Ford isn't making now.There might be other factors too which I am not aware of.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts