Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

· Banned
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have decided to ditch the turbo zetec engine in our sedan race car and go with a naturally aspirated duratec. We should have the car running by the end of the summer.

We are currently flow testing 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5 heads to decide on the best combinations. Physically the 2.5 intake ports are much larger than the 2.0

The final setup hasn't been decided as we are waiting on flow numbers from the different heads.

To see pictures of the rest of the car check out this thread

http://forums.focaljet.com/forced-i...eds-turbo-zetec-zx4-racecar-build-thread.html

· Banned
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a good thing.

Still using the AEM computer? Custom intake manifold or ITBS? I can't imagine the Cosworth will be enough to reach your power goals, even at 12.5:1 and knarly cams.

We are going to be using the aem ems 4 on both this car and Bryan's true street turbo focus.
We plan on using 52mm itb's
As for the compression ratio we are going to try a couple different things.

· Banned
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm following your other thread with the turbo build, are you going to be using the 2.5 block and the 2.3 head for this build as well?
correct.

I will post more info as we go along. We are going to test two different engines in this car.

1st one with a stock 2.5 bottom end, ported 2.3 head, crane cams and itb's

2nd Engine with be much more radical : 2.5 with 15:1 compression and ported 2.5 head

· Registered
812 Posts
correct.

I will post more info as we go along. We are going to test two different engines in this car.

2nd Engine with be much more radical : 2.5 with 15:1 compression and ported 2.5 head
sounds awesome! take as many notes as possible haha. it seems like for your average joe on this site, the 2.5 short block swap would be the way to go, that is if you prove it to be easy and not a complete custom build. :)

· A Flock of Seagulls
2,166 Posts
correct.

Is it a Ford Duratec 2.5, or Mazda MZR 2.5? If it's a Ford, is the crankshaft forged like the Mazda? I've also read somewhere that the Mazda MZR 2.5 is fully counterweighted. If possibe, could you post pictures.

· A Flock of Seagulls
2,166 Posts
So it's fully counterweighted; but I can't tell for sure from the picture if it's forged. It appears to be cast, judging by what little I can see of the parting line. If so, then it's different from the Mazda crank.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cis_OSQEVWk

From youtube. It's just a video of a dyno session of a 2.5 duratec, showing the results at the end. Looks like a little over 300hp. I tried to contact the builder, Damico, to get a little more info, but so far no response.

· Banned
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The crankshaft is cast. Do you know of anyone that has confirmed that the mazda crankshaft is forged. Pictures? I had planned on buying a mazda 3 engine in the next few weeks to take apart and see for myself.

· A Flock of Seagulls
2,166 Posts
The crankshaft is cast. Do you know of anyone that has confirmed that the mazda crankshaft is forged. Pictures? I had planned on buying a mazda 3 engine in the next few weeks to take apart and see for myself.
I've been going by Mazda literature, which says it's forged. I wouldn't be surprised if they switched to a cast crankshaft; as it must be much cheaper to manufacture. At least this Fusion crank is fully counterweighted.

· Registered
3,152 Posts
Hey guys... pretty sweet project...

I found this after watching the above vid and looking into damico race engine...

http://www.twinkam.co.uk/shop/catal...PgvkYwhpUv7wAJ5dhlP461e8xGitxWBWTY&shop_param=

looks like a place that builds custom cranks for the duratec... and any motor for that matter but you have to order atleast 3 of the custom pieces... but their prices arnt bad... ~850 euro which would be a little over $1200... not bad for a billet crank

Anyways... keep it up
-Chris

1 - 20 of 131 Posts