Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Who has compleatly Topped out there car? As in who has pushed it in 5th gear till it wont go no more. Im not too concerned about speed but include that also, more so about what RPM you are at when it stops going faster. I have a switch on my Vss to fool the comp into not kicking in the speed limiter, so i cant look at my speed. But mine pulls REALLY hard all the way to 5500 in 5th, where it kind of hits some sort of wall and starts to sputter. I dont think im running out of air flow because it is kind of abrupt, and the air flow reading on my Apex AFC only reads 46% so i doubt its the sensor. Could it be running out of injector? anyone else have this problem, or am i the only one that takes there focus to jailtime speed on a daily basis.

mIKE

[ 10-03-2002, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: REDRUM ]

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think so, its not gradual, its a wall. It pulls extramly hard, and then goes, thud sputter sputter sputter. If i let off the gas, it makes a loud pop. If i have time this weekend i will experiment more, but i was just wondering if i was the only one who this happend to. I guess you cant really anwser if you never done it.

MIKE

D

·
0 Posts
is that the speed limiter kicking in? b/c sounds to me like it is...cuz that's what mine does when i try to top it out......

·
Registered
625 Posts
Originally posted by Uriah:
Valve float?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Only occurs in high RPM conditions, not at 5500 rpm, it would't matter if he were going 130.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It doesnt sputter in any ohther gears at that RPM? Your engines doing the same thing then as it is in lower gears. You should feel that leaning out sensation till like 6300....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"the power drops off drastically on stock at a certain rpm"

The car is far from stock. Nope, no sputter in any other gears. I guess the load from the wind resisitance is greater than the amount of fuel the injectors can spray to overcome it. I dunno.

MIKE

·
Registered
213 Posts
Dyno it and you wont get any wind resistance. You can see your power band and work on it from there. could also just be how the gear ratio is set up. I had an 84 mazda b2000 and i could go faster in 4th gear than 5th.

[ 10-04-2002, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: sk8fool ]

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ehhh, **** it. I damn near totaled it today (Had a tire blow out on an onramp, 360s = screwed car) so i wont be dynoing anyhting anytime soon. Oh well, have the new motor and tranny almsot done, so i would ahve to rip it appart anyway. Now i guess i can get some cool new body stuff.

MIKE

·
Registered
307 Posts
i have the diablo in mine, and we were videotaping a drive to houston for a ffw and i hit 135 @ i dont know what rpm, ill review the tape...

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
Originally posted by konigwheels:
i have the diablo in mine, and we were videotaping a drive to houston for a ffw and i hit 135 @ i dont know what rpm, ill review the tape...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes,(hint-hint) lets review that tape please

·
Registered
830 Posts
I went to 6 500 rpm in 5th gear with my old setup and I topped at 205 kmph, maybe if it was not raining it would have went a bit faster but not much.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
kleBlanczx3 said:
does a Mt top out faster than ATX or is it the other way around?? just curious
MT would be geared better than the ATX.
Respectively, they would top out about the same... depending on the gear ratio.

·
Registered
950 Posts
french_connection said:
I went to 6 500 rpm in 5th gear with my old setup and I topped at 205 kmph, maybe if it was not raining it would have went a bit faster but not much.
What mods did you have done to the car?... Or actually... You sure you don't have vision problems... or are on crack?

1) stock Zetec should do 220+ kmh - my buddy's 318(non is - 115hp ) hits 235, another friend's 2.0 astra (130hp) hits 240

2) at 176kmh you're a tad below 4500rpm. I'll put anything on the line that 30kmh more you are not 2000rpm higher.

·
Look under the curve... UNDER THE CURVE!
3,134 Posts
Way to bring up the oldest thread on the internet!:lol:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts