Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Torque converter and shift kit for auto\'s...

I've looked around and I can't find anyone with both. Does anyone on the Jet have a Level 10 shift kit and torque converter? How about Baumman (sp?) Engineering? I want to know what is was like dealing with them, and how much it all cost (about $1500???)...

Also, how much was it to get installed, or how hard is it to do yourself?

EDIT: Do I need a custom chip burn for the kit and converter? I assume I do but don't know.

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: djvash ]</p>

·
Registered
847 Posts
Re: Torque converter and shift kit for auto\'s...

aren't these advertised to basically shave about 0.5 - 1.0 sec. off of the quarter for an auto? Not bad, BUT:

I find it INCREDIBLE that anyone would pay more for an auto to begin with (vs. manual) and then pay even more for this product...save your $$$ and go FI or nitrous or something...or ditch the auto and get stick! Just my 0.02...

am I missing something? Is there some greater benefit of having an auto with torque conv. vs. just buying a manual in the first place???

·
Registered
61 Posts

Laziness.

Pure unabashed laziness.

Oh wait, thats just why I bought mine.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Marction:

I find it INCREDIBLE that anyone would pay more for an auto to begin with (vs. manual) and then pay even more for this product...save your $$$ and go FI or nitrous or something...or ditch the auto and get stick! Just my 0.02...
<hr></blockquote>

[sarcasm on]
Thanks for not answering the question and taking this off topic.
Next time please just don't reply.
[/sarcasm off]

The torque converter and shift kit will allow the auto to shift as fast and more CONSISTANT than a manual.
Plus, what do you know about why I got an auto?
Is there anyone that can actually answer the question?

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: djvash ]</p>

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Marction:
am I missing something? Is there some greater benefit of having an auto with torque conv. vs. just buying a manual in the first place???<hr></blockquote>

Consistant shifts. With a manual in dragging you'll have the possibility of missed shifts and such or being dumb with your clutch.

Personally, it's fine for a daily driver, but if I ever decided to swap out my auto, it would be for a 6 speed sequential. No less. If I want a manual, then I'll trade in.

·
Registered
645 Posts

There seems to be alot of dancing around this very good question.
Has anyone here gone through the Level 10 experience?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 02blackzx3:
What will the torque converter and shift kit do for the cars? What are its performance advantages (hp, torque) and how much will it cost you?<hr></blockquote>

Well mainly the driveline losses will be much less as the power will be translated better. That is the main problem with Auto vs Manual. The driveline losses are higher in a stock auto. The torqueconverter and shift kit will presumably make the auto transmission on par with the manual.. Also the auto I think is limited to handle 270 hp (yow) but a level10 treatment supposedly will let it handle more. Don't ask me if it's 270 at crank or at wheels cause I don't remember

But here's something from the FI forum:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>
ZX3_NJBoosted
TEAM Member
Member # 3171
posted 04-24-2002 10:17 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe I can help you out on this, although I don't have my Focus with me anymore. Automatics CAN handle AC3, which means you can run intercooler and a BOV with it. You can ask around, people know that I have AC3 running on my auto for about a month. However, I would recommend you to get a tranny upgrade from www.levelten.com If I remember correctly, it costs around 1500 for the upgrade. Also, 42lb injectors, ProMAF, and custom chip would be your AC3's best friend. Been there done that, but no mucho powers, so I called it a quit on my project. Hope this helps.
<hr></blockquote>

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]</p>

·
Registered
904 Posts

Here is a reply I got from LevelTen.

We do offer a pts hydrosystem upgrade that will get rid of the
factory luxury lazy shifts and replace them with throttle oriented
shifts. Also the pts torque converter upgrade that will get rid of all
the lag and the hesitation off the start.pts torque converter upgrade $498.
pts hydrosystem upgrade $698.
YOU CAN LIST THESE UPGRADES ON THE FORUM AND WE WILL WORK WITH A GROUP
BUY. (5 OR MORE GUARANTEED BUY)

I'm unable to get this at this time, but if anyone wants to try to get this group buy going
(with approval of course) I will seen you the information I have, which isn't that much.

---Herb---

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

THANK YOU! That's exactly what i was looking for because they never replied to my Email. I'll be able to get them at the end of June, so if noone else does I'll start the group buy.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

djvash: http://www.baumannengineering.com is working on something for those w/ the automagic transmissions. In the works from what I hear is a shift improver kit as well as an LSD(limited slip differntial}. The company bought a focus w/ the automagic tranny just for this reason. If I remember correctly the parts would be sold through Denis @ Focus Central.

http://www.teamfocaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=006985

Hope this helps.
For more info. contact denis or
Greg @ Baumann Electronic Controls
www.baumannengineering.com

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: zetecinside ]</p>

·
Registered
221 Posts

Well I'll be going up to levelten at the end of june for the upgrades. I'll let you know how it goes after the upgrades. Unless someone else beats me to it.

·
Registered
30 Posts

What will the torque converter and shift kit do for the cars? What are its performance advantages (hp, torque) and how much will it cost you?

·
Registered
62 Posts

Hey I'm in for a group buy when and it doesn't matter how much, I'll sell a kidney or something on ebay.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by zetecinside:
http://www.baumannengineering.com is working on something for those w/ the automagic transmissions. <hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I PM'ed him about that a week or two ago. He said he would have a protoype in June or something. I may not want to wait, we'll see.

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: djvash ]</p>

·
Registered
354 Posts

anything is better than paying level ten 3K...even if it will hold 475 HP

·
Registered
217 Posts

Was checking out the Baumann Engineering website, it doesnt specifically say the products are for the Focus- but it does list the tranny part # 4R70W

Is that the Focus's auto tranny?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

Are you guys watching the Wolf Racing thread. If turbo tom is interested, and essencially it comes with a stall converter (start off the line with 12 psi .. nummyyy.
) i think this looks to be even more promissing then the level 10 system. Oh, and a 6% tranny loss down from a 21-22% is nothing to bat an eye about. That is totally amazing.

Im waiting for the release.. im comming very soon.

·
Registered
987 Posts

well unlike Level10 and Baughmen E
Wolff Racing is actually producing products, and working with what the foci owners want and most of all those guys are perfectionist about their products

and all you claiming go FI with manual
imagine FI with an Auto, made to handle it? hmph to manual...........

·
Registered
645 Posts

Originally posted by FocusOnPunk:
holy crap, moldy thread alert!
though i have an auto, so im interested in how this has developed. anyone here follow through with those "im getting it in..." statements?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yep! Mine is on it's way back from Level 10 now.
I will let everyone know how it does once I get it put back together.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts