Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be needing to tow about 1250 lbs plus the weight of the trailer. I am guessing that would put me at or alittle over 1500 lbs which is the towing capacity for the focus. I wanted to get everyone thoughts before I get a hitch installed on the focus or start looking for a truck instead. I'd rather use the focus if I can instead of getting a truck. But I do not want to comprimise safety.

Thanks for everyones inputs!

·
Registered
634 Posts
You should remember that those towing capacities are in ideal conditions. For instance, if it were to start raining etc when you were towing, or were faced with s steep incline on a hill, your likely hood of jacknifing your car would increase quite a bit. I would play it safe and borrow/rent the truck.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I wouldn't do it... 1500 is kinda pushing it. I would consider getting a small u-haul, throw the stuff in the back and tow the car with it (if you have no one else to drive with you).

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
yeah seriously...i hated driving the car with 4 people in the car, let alone towing like 1500lbs
Slow is irrelevent. Function is what is important.

Personally, I WOULD tow 1500lbs with a Focus, but I have a lot of trailer experience.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I wouldn't do it. 1500lbs is over 1/2 of the vehicle weight. You start to lose it a bit and the weight of that trailer is going to push that car around.

I have no doubt that the engine/tranny could handle it as long as you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I towed about 1,200 lbs with my sedan about 900 miles, it was a slow ride but better to take it slow then to not get their at all

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
yeah seriously...i hated driving the car with 4 people in the car, let alone towing like 1500lbs
Slow is irrelevent. Function is what is important.

Personally, I WOULD tow 1500lbs with a Focus, but I have a lot of trailer experience.
i dont really ever recalling saying anything about slow. I4s are hardly towers.

"let me take my trailor and kid off to college in my F350 Super Pussy...."

just get a truck...

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Hmmm... probably could be done, but that was about my last tow weight in the V6 Escape which is a much larger car... and even though it was just at half tow capacity, it felt pretty hefty back there. If its not all flat and smooth terrain, might wanna borrow a pickup (otherwise when it bounces it'll be overloading and unloading your rear end and put some strain on those brakes).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyones inputs! Here is something interesting I noticed, I was looking at the towing ratings of various trucks/SUVs and their weights to see how they compare. Just to give you an idea, the escape (with V6 and towing package, which adds a tranny cooler and hitch) weights in about 3500 lbs and is rated at 3500 lbs for towing, the expedition weights in at 5671 lbs and is rated at 8650 lbs for towing! It seems as though the weight of the towing vehicle is not as important when determining the towing rating then I had thought. I already have SVT brakes on my ZX3, and a supercharger so stopping and going should be covered. I guess my weak link would be the tranny and engine potentially overheating. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Another problem is the "short" wheelbase. With any real weight hanging off a trailer in the back, you're going to do a pretty good shimmy going down the road. I.e. Fighting the side to side shaking in the back. With a truck or another vehicle with a longer wheelbase, this is dramatically reduced. Just makes you keep an extra good grip on the wheel and pay attention.

Still... I wouldn't sweat towing much. But definitely use high octane gas, especially with a blower.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
You should only tow with a Kenworth.

I tow an ~800lb Seadoo with my AUTOMATIC wagon, fully loaded with gear inside too. It's not problem. You just have to change your driving habits, in particular NO tailgating. The hardest part is people cutting you off.

The Focus is actually only "rated" to 1000lbs in NA. But it's rated up to 2800lbs in Europe with no equipment differences.

At 1500lbs, you should think about trailer brakes if you can, but other than that, no sweat.

BTW, I tow the Seadoo 500 miles one way, non stop. Even up 10% grades, you just gotta take it easy. I let 'er slow down to 35-40mph going up a steep hill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts