Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah, thinking of buying a beater since I got rid of the SVTF. Found an 86 Civic w/160k on it. Only issue is clicking when turning so it is probably the axle or cv boot, but, I think they replace the boot when the do the axle anyway. Asking $300 so I am going to offer $150 cause it seems like he wants to get rid of it. Its too bad 6 months of minimum coverage cost more than the car.

·
Resident Wheel-Whore
10,594 Posts
My Mazda and my dad's Mitsubishi makes that click click sount whenever you turn. I don't care. But hes worried. So he found out it was his front strut. It may be the same problem, but I don't know a thing about Hondas.

·
LET'S GO RIDE BIKES
2,760 Posts
Our Mazda 626 beater makes all kinds of clicking noises among others. We mainly use it for hauling the longboard down to the beach which is about 6 blocks or half a mile depending on which spot is better. Everyone should have a beater car for hardware store runs, hauling dogs or just to have as a spare car. Actually we're thinking of selling the Mazda and Nina's Mustang to buy a VW camper van

·
Registered
912 Posts
If it's anything like replacing the axle on a focus, it's not hard, and should only cost you $70 or so.. Go for it.

My friend had a 626 that we beat to hell, that thing was a champion, no doubt about it. He had it for at least 4 years and never once changed the oil.. when he got a jeep we took it into the woods and wrecked it into anything we could find, the body was completely destroyed but it ran like a champ

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
If I were going to buy a beater, it'd be a Civic — no questions asked. My 1979 Civic was the best beater evAr.

I want another one (but with a manual trans; not the Hondamatic two-speed).

I would love a 3rd-Gen Civic to mess around with, though. However, I've never had a car with a torsion bar front suspension. I guess you can lower them and get stiffer torsion bars; I'm just not familar with working on them. It's make a great little SCCA racer, too.

·
What have I... What have I... What have I done to
14,709 Posts
My dad and I purchased a kit car about a year and a half ago and we picked up a '76 VW Beetle for 350 bucks for parts. The thing had no brakes whatsoever, the interior was totally gutted, but yet I was still able to rally it anywhere I wanted around my house. I even managed to clip a little tree with it and it STILL went strong. I'm pondering the thought of buying another one here in a year or so to actually fix up: the ultimate ugly sleeper, haha..

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
The beater I am looking at is a 90 Audi S2 Quattro. $350!! Just needs wheels.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
My beater is a 560hp mustang.... The fuel cost around 150 a week or so.... Which is why I got my little Focus....
anyways good luck
-bix

1 - 12 of 12 Posts