Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Went to a Toyota dealer with my parents today, they're looking for a new car. I could not believe the pricing. Nothing we looked at, including the 6 speed, fully decked out Matrix with stock 17's on it, was more than 22,000.

They're more than likely getting a Sport model (new for 2003) Rav4. It's really nice inside, great car.

The other auto makers could definitely learn a thing or two about how to design the interior of a car from Toyota. All the interiors were super, super nice.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yeah and toyota could stop using the same engines in alot of their cars and make the mr2 look better and give it a turbo. Then it could compete with the s2000. toyota is falling behind in the performance market they need to bring back the supra.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
I am not surprised at all since Toyota Camry and Honda Accord have been the #1 and #2 best sellers in the mid sized market for a while now.

A quote from the article says:
Despite Toyota’s gains, U.S. automakers still dominate the overall domestic vehicle market, where trucks and sport utility vehicles are bigger sellers than cars. But Detroit’s Big Three have seen market share declines this year.
As you can see the US manufacturers prefer to sell the sun eclipsing behemoths which is their major cash cow for now but the Japanese are getting stronger in that area too from Toyota/Lexus,Nissan/Infiniti will have big trucks and SUV's this year and soon Honda/Acura.

Correct me if I am wrong but I heard that Toyota is now #3 passing DaimlerChrysler in total global sales.

·
Internet = Serious Business
628 Posts
Sports cars are nice but you can't sell as many Supras as you can Camrys. I've driven two Toyotas with just under 200k on them and they were still solid and the engines ran like they were new. I can't say that about the other cars I've driven with that many miles. For the first time in 30+ years my parents are considering an import over a Ford.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Toyota are the best quality cars.. no doubt. That's a lesson the European car makers have learned, especially Peugeot and Renault which had to drastically improve their build quality and technological knowhow to come back and beat Toyota in Europe...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I heard that Toyota is now #3 passing Daimler Chrysler in total global sales
That is correct.

They have been for a while now actually

My mom works for Toyota financial and she says that every month they have best ever sales. i.e. last month was their best sales month in their history and now this month will probably be even better.

who says "The big three" and thinks Ford, GM, and Daimler Chrysler.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yeah and toyota could stop using the same engines in alot of their cars and make the mr2 look better and give it a turbo. Then it could compete with the s2000. toyota is falling behind in the performance market they need to bring back the supra.
Platform sharing is a Good Thing. The 1zz-fe may not be the greatest engine of all time, but there are so many of them that I can get a new engine dirt cheap. Yeah, if Toyota came out with a turbo version I'd be first in line to have it retrofitted into my '03. There are some good JDM turbo kits out there, but Toyota's would have that all important (in CA) CARB certification. It's sad that a supercharger won't fit without cutting a hole in the firewall

·
Registered
117 Posts
thatd be great and all but the car was never meant to compete with the s2000. it was mean to be a lightweight, sporty, fairly inexpensive roadster to compete wtih the miata. Why doesn't ford just make the focus have 500hp so it can compete wtih a ferrari!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
thatd be great and all but the car was never meant to compete with the s2000. it was mean to be a lightweight, sporty, fairly inexpensive roadster to compete wtih the miata. Why doesn't ford just make the focus have 500hp so it can compete wtih a ferrari!

i did see one toyota i would drive, it was a black camry with some BBS wheels and a mild factory kit i think. I could pimp that as a daily cruiser

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well once the Scion is fully launched, I think that Toyota will have even more sales. After spending most of a month home on vacation in my sister's Corolla, I seriously think that once "die Focus ist kaput" I may be looking closer at a Toyota/Scion myself...

·
Registered
227 Posts
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146966
I just saw that article (and the insecure s2000 owners' responses) today. The MR-S really wasn't intended to compete with the s2000 but the more corners you throw in, the more it does compete. Sure many Spyder enthusiasts, including me, wish it would come with another 50HP but the only other current car I'd consider buying instead of it would be the Elise which will cost over 50% more. You can add more power to the Spyder but I've yet to see anyone put the engine on the correct side in a s2000.
Toyota has always said the MR-S was going to be a limited production vehicle in the U.S. (many Spyder owners would be pissed if they recanted that) and it has done well in that capacity.

That said, the fact that Toyota has come out with FI kits for trucks, the Matrix and Scions and ignored the MR-S and Celica says to me that something isn't right - at very least in TRD's camp. They don't even bother importing the TTE and JDM Toyota parts for either of them so the parts cost more and can void your warranty. I guess Toyota's next sports car test will be at the Tokyo Motor Show when the Supra is supposedly going to be revealed.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Ahhhh, yes....these overseas automakers are putting us Americans right out of work. Won't be long and none of us will have jobs here unless we're flippin' burgers.

I agree Toyota makes great cars...I used to own a Toyota truck and loved it. American automakers need to do something here to turn it around quick before they are all out of business.

It's sad to see our American automakers getting "spanked" by these import companies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts